October 2014 Moms
Options

What are you doing to stay in shape?

I used to workout rather frequently until I started feeling like crap in the 1st tri. Now in my 5th month, I no longer have an excuse. 

I'm looking to get into some moderate yet safe exercising to help with my "snap back" and delivery..
What have you been doing? 

Re: What are you doing to stay in shape?

• Options
    Absolutely nothing! I hate exercise. I didn't do it before pregnancy, and I probably won't start now. Maybe afterwards, if I have trouble shedding the weight. So far I haven't gained very much, and I'm tall and lean naturally so never really felt the need to exercise. I know it's healthy though, so shame on me! I'm also PGAL and afraid of somehow hurting the baby by being active. I took it easy prior to being pregnant, and I especially take it easy now.
  • Options
    BeanNutBeanNut member
    Right now I just take walks.  This pregnancy has been harder on me physically.  

The first two pregnancies I continued my normal workouts (cardio & strength training) minus any ab work after about 20 weeks.  I gradually decreased the length and intensity of my workouts as I felt I needed to but was still hitting the gym until a few weeks before delivery and was back by 5-6 weeks pp.

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am still running on a pretty limited basis - but at least it is a little right?  Then I am in a yoga class and we go on walks around the neighborhood almost daily.  
    image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • Options
    I was being really good about taking long walks multiple times a week and hiking on the weekends. Somewhere along the way I slowly stopped. Might have been a mix of hotter weather, adjusting to the new job schedule, our just laziness. I ordered a set of prenatal yoga DVDs that just arrived, so I plan to try them out today. I'd like to add some swimming and get back to walking too.

• Options
    ...nothing. :| its been too cold and rainy for even taking a walk.

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Options
    I need to get back to walking. I was exhausted in first tri and didn't do anything. Today I dusted off my ol' fitbit and I'm going to jump back in. I plan to walk at least 30 minutes every day.
  • Options
    Wino411Wino411 member
    edited May 2014
    This thread is inspiring me. I was hitting up the gym about 3 times a week and would walk 2 miles at work when I had downtime but that all came to a screeching halt in 1st tri. I was too sick and tired to do ANYTHING and as soon as I started feeling better I had a day or two of light spotting so I was too paranoid to exert myself after that. Today's such a nice day I thought about taking a walk but those few yards to the cafeteria and back darn near winded me. But this thread is giving me the motivation to get back out there... slowly! lol

ETA: hitting up the gym 3 times a week, not a day! I wasn't THAT committed! Lol

Me: 34 DH: 34

TTC since Jan '13

BFP#1 - EDD 3/24/14 - d&c 7w5d

BFP#2 - EDD 6/14/14 - cp 4w2d

BFP#3 - EDD 10/28/14 - It's a BOY!!! - Born 10/26/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I go for walks/hikes and ride the stationary bike.  Yard work counts too!   :)

I wanted to keep up with Zumba during pregnancy, but I had to take a break for most of first tri due to feeling like garbage, and was afraid to re-start after 2 months off.

image              image
  • Options
    narabugnarabug member
    Nothing really. I used to jog but got out of the habit over the winter. I felt too sick during first tri to even go for walks. Now I'm just being lazy. Although I do a lot of walking at work, and usually chase my friend's 3yo around for a few minutes everytime I see them. Girl has way more energy than I do.
  • Options
    I have an insanely energetic toddler, so that. ;)

This times two! I have always been a runner, but the kids have been my cardio and luckily I have lost all the baby weight and kept it off by chasing them around. I have to say that I need to tone up big time. I feel squishy! Anyone doing lunges or squats? I have the 30 day shred and wondering if I modified level 1 (w/out crunches or pushing myself), if that would be ok. I am going to call my doctor or bring it up next week and see.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Walk Away The Pounds dvd or Jillian Michaels (modified). Walking, biking, outdoor stuff. If I get the chance I'll walk in the treadmill or hop on an elliptical. I stopped my gym membership though because I could never make it to the gym so I miss the elliptical!  
  • Options
    @pushgal84 oooooh! Which ones did you get?
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited May 2014
    I chase my busy 2yo around ;)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Like other PPs, I try to go for long walks a few times a week.  Nice days are hit or miss around here, so when it's nice out I try to make the most of it.  I usually do at least a mile.

I also do prenatal yoga and a prenatal strength workout each at least once a week - both are about 30 minutes.

I think it's what's been helping me keep my weight in check because, man, I am eating EVERYTHING in sight!
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Options
    First trimester I did absolutely nothing. Now that I'm feeling better, hubby and I have been going on walks/jogs, and bike rides. Nothing too strenuous, just enough to get my blood pumping and keep my muscles from dissolving lol. I plan on doing a lot of swimming this summer.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I started a workout routine last week. I have been working out 3 days a week at the gym doing cardio and then some pregnancy circuit training. The other days I have been walking.

1st tri kicked my ass and I didn't want to do anything. I read today in What to Expect that women who exercise during pregnancy have easier birth, the kid is less stressed out during birth, and that up to age 5 they observed that they were also smarter. That's a pretty good incentive for me.

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    The prenatal vinyasa yoga DVDs are great if you have a good yoga background.

I'm doing yoga a couple of times per week, walking on an inclined treadmill or using the elliptical machine (when my hip hurts) almost daily, and doing strength training three times per week.
  • Options
    @ashie0610 what are your favorite prenatal DVDs?
  • Options
    I'm taking prenatal yoga at a center that the hospital runs. Its awesome!

• Options

I stumbled upon a blog called To the Sea a few months back and she has a great fitness plan that doesn't make me want to die, and I've been really lazy of late. I modified the plan to run or do cardio only 3 times a week, but I've been following pretty much everything else with the strength training and then yoga/pilates DVDs and a Barre DVD that really can make you sore if you haven't done it before.

Married since *7/13/2012* to my soulmate!

Surprise! BFP 3/7/2013, Missed MC, D&C @ 7w5d
    BFP 12/10/2013, Natural MC @ 5w1d

BFP 2/15/2014...Katia Elizabeth is due 10/23/2014!
     BabyFruit Ticker
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    @pushgal84 oooooh! Which ones did you get?
    The "Complete Prenatal Vinyasa Yoga & Short Forms 2 DVD Set" on Amazon. It has 4.5 stars with over 400 reviews, so I figured it's pretty good. I liked that it has several different lengths since sometimes I might be up for a longer session and other times might just want to do a few quick poses. Plus, it has "relaxation" segments to help prepare for labor. I was planning to get a meditation DVD for that purpose and to help with my blood pressure (I stress easily and my OB recommended meditation), but maybe not if the relaxation segments are any good.

• Options
    vmt617vmt617 member
    After doing pretty much nothing in my first trimester, I'm doing lots of walking (especially now that it has warmed up outside) and the Pure Barre prenatal DVDs 3 or 4 times a week. 
    EDD 10/24/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I try to go for a walk every morning when it's not too hot out. I usually have to take DD with me, so I try to go when it's cool out.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I started a workout routine last week. I have been working out 3 days a week at the gym doing cardio and then some pregnancy circuit training. The other days I have been walking.

1st tri kicked my ass and I didn't want to do anything. I read today in What to Expect that women who exercise during pregnancy have easier birth, the kid is less stressed out during birth, and that up to age 5 they observed that they were also smarter. That's a pretty good incentive for me.
    I just read the same part of What to Expect a couple days ago. Definitely motivated me too!

• Options
    anjb43 said:
    Walk Away The Pounds dvd or Jillian Michaels (modified). Walking, biking, outdoor stuff. If I get the chance I'll walk in the treadmill or hop on an elliptical. I stopped my gym membership though because I could never make it to the gym so I miss the elliptical!  
    I've used these off and on for the last 10 years and they're great. As much as I love being outside, I don't do well in the heat and prefer to workout in the A/C. I'm pretty uncoordinated, so walking in place is right up my alley.

• Options
    You all are inspiring me to find a prenatal yoga class!  I had been doing a little of my normal stuff (kettlebells along with deadlifts and squats - I'm an instructor) during the first trimester, but limited because I was SO tired.  I finally got my energy back and had a great week of 4 workouts in a week and then I got this infection in my mouth so I've barely done anything other than walk my dogs.  I did a workout last Friday - the normal workout and it felt pretty good.  I have been walking my dogs, as usual.

I wouldn't start anything totally new.  walking and yoga are good things to ease you into a routine while you're pregnant!
  • Options
    As many pps have posted, I have been walking and taking a prenatal yoga class. I try to walk 6,000 steps per day, although sometimes that doesn't happen because I am just too exhausted.
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    narabugnarabug member
    Can anybody recommend a good pedometer? I must walk strangely or something because I have a problem with them sticking and not counting steps.
  • Options
    Glas43Glas43 member
    My job is pretty phyaical and i walk a lot so that helps. I also am still participating in CrossFit as i was prior to becoming pregnant.
  • Options
    @ashie0610 what are your favorite prenatal DVDs?
    @LightBright515, I'm doing the Prenatal Vinyasa yoga that @pushgal84 linked above.  I LOVE it.  When I was pregnant with DS, I did the one from Shiva Rea but it was very, very light on any real exercise and a little too gentle for me.  The Vinyasa one is actually a good workout.

For strength, I do Summer Sanders' prenatal workout which I ordered on Amazon.  She's a little annoying but it's a decent workout and they have an express workout which I like to do since I don't have a lot of time to workout.  You do need a resistance band for that one.

PM me for blog link!

• Options
    @heatherjeanp, that sounds like such a cool job!  I love organizing things.
    PM me for blog link!

• Options
    jenndubjenndub member
    I haven't done any real exercise in a long time. I am still throwing up a few days a week and I feel gross. But I'm counting playing with my 3 kids as working out.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • Options
    cactus5cactus5 member

I just got back from a 3.5 mile jog/walk. I have been continuing with my boot camp and spinning classes. I modify a lot of the boot camp exercises to keep my heart rate in check.

• Options
    Same as a lot of you - 1st tri kicked my butt and I didn't do much.  I am still having a difficult time with energy and puking.  ugh!

I wear a FitBit so that has been keeping me accountable to at least not sitting on my butt all day.  About three weeks ago I started my gym routine back up and am making sure I get there 3-4 days/week.  We go for walks each night but that will end soon because it is already 100 degrees during the day.  Boo.

I am going to try and start barre back up in the next few weeks.

Diet is what is kicking my butt.

Last menstral cycle 9/09 Initial diagnosis PCOS (11/09) Provera (x2), P4 injection. Final Diagnosis POF (2/10) 
    Donor ER 8/27/10 -- ET 9/1/10 Beta 9/10/10=BFP! May 6th 2011 - Our sweet little bear was born!
    FET #2 July 3, 2014 - BFP!
    M/C @ 9 weeks

FET #3 November 8, 2013 - BFN
    FET #4 February 12, 2014
    POAS (I cheated) BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    narabugnarabug member
    starla487 said:

narabug said:

Can anybody recommend a good pedometer? I must walk strangely or something because I have a problem with them sticking and not counting steps.

Do you have a smart phone or iPod Touch? (Or a nano even?) There are a ton of apps out there for that purpose. FitBit is one I see a lot, but I think it has a separate device.

I do have a smartphone. I don't know why I didn't think of looking for an app. I'll have to check them out later.
  • Options
    In the past, I ran a lot and did at least one half marathon a year...since I wasn't running consistently at the beginning of pregnancy, my doctor advised against running too intensely. :(  In fact, to keep my heart rate at a workable BPM, I have to run almost two minutes/mile slower and that is just demoralizing.  

Right now, I'm so tired after work (I have about an hour commute to and from...10 minutes drive to the train and 50 minutes on the train) that I don't do much on weekdays other than walk my Yorkie for a few minutes.  I just got the Hilaria Baldwin "Fit Mommy to Be" prenatal yoga DVD and like that so far to do when I get home.  On weekends, I try to go swimming at least once.  Since I've been enjoying that more than running, my running has taken even more of a step back for now.  
  • Options
    I do yoga a couple times a week. Still going to a gentle vinyasa class instead of prenatal but I make adjustments. I also teach kids yoga twice a week. I was walk/running and that dropped off but I will pick it up again... today!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    vrj0522vrj0522 member
    I run 2-3 days per week and do circuit or weight training 2-3 days per week. Occasionally I walk 3-4 miles and even that makes all the difference in how I feel. 

I worked out during my first pregnancy up to the day before I went into labor. There were a couple of times when I stopped working out for 3-4 days and I immediately noticed a difference... more fatigue, swelling, constipation, back pain. I also had a very easy recovery, which even though I don't know for certain, I attribute to working out. I believe strongly in the benefits of exercise during pregnancy.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    DaniW1984DaniW1984 member
    edited May 2014
    Walking our puppy, swimming, yoga.

I also consider laundry, housework, groceries exercise now as I am suddenly out of breath easily.

Edit: spelling
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"