Breastfeeding

How long did you EBF?

giglameshgiglamesh member
edited April 2014 in Breastfeeding
Just curious! I'm thinking about starting to supplement.

Re: How long did you EBF?

• With my first I had to supplement from day one due to health issues and ultimately stopped nursing/pumping less than 2 months. 

With my current, I gave him  a few bottles around 2 weeks because of the pain and I didn't have pumped milk yet to give him, and then went back to EBF. We're at 11 weeks now and I'm hoping to make it to a year.

What are your reasons to wanting to supplement? This board has been extremely helpful to me and I probably would be suplementing today or FF'ing if it weren't for the help I've gotten on here. Maybe someone here could help?
    Rachel (a.k.a. The Analytical Mommy.com and @analyticalmommy on IG)
    I'm just trying to make sense of things :-) 
  • I'm having a hard time between being too selfish and too selfless. I want to give LO breast milk but its really hard sometimes because I don't always have enough in reserve if I want to get out of the house for a little while or go away for a night with the hub. I need a life but I want to do what's best for her. I think I'm just too anal sometimes. I dunno.
  • Loading the player...
  • 9 months & still going!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 5.5 m EBF and we tried oatmeal at that point. At 6 months we did purées.

DS is still BF, but he eats a lot of purées and finger foods now. He is 9 months old this week.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • EBF for 6 months next week...just started giving him a little bit of puréed avocado last week to start getting used to the texture of food. But shooting for a year of BF!
  • 6m of breastmilk only
    added solids in at 6m
    had only breastmilk until 18m 
    still nurses at 19+ months but gets offered cow's milk at school during the day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I ebf both my girls for 6 months, then started solids. With DD1, I did one bottle of formula at 9 months and had to start supplementing at 11 months since my supply dropped. I didn't introduce WCM till she was about 18 months. I stopped bfing her at 13 months and she was ff till 18 months.  I had loads of milk with DD from the pump. 

With DD2, she is 7.5 months old, solids and bf and today I just gave her 1 oz. of formula. Trying not to feel guilty about it. Determined to make to a year but might be combination feeding till then. Body not responding too well to the pump with DD2 since I barely pump,

• I EBF until we introduced solids at six months. I continued to nurse DS (once or twice a day) until he was 19 months old.
  • Breast milk and formula for the 1st 8 weeks, exclusively breast milk from 8 weeks-7 months. Introduced solids once/day at 7 months and still do 1-2x/day now at 9 mos.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

• 10 months tomorrow! Never supplemented and so proud of myself! We introduced solids at 6 months. Good luck!

• I EBF for 7 months then introduced oatmeal at that time :-)
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• We were so lucky to be able to EBF for 6 months.  We intro'ed solids at 6 months, but continued with BM as his major source of nutrition until around 14 months.  Then we started giving a half BM half coconut or almond milk at DC.  By 15 months, he was drinking all coconut/almond milk at DC and nursing 3-4 times a day at home.  He's 19 months tomorrow and we still nurse 3x a day on weekdays and 4 times a day on weekends.  No plans to stop anytime in the near future.  

image imageimageimage

• I did EBF for up to 6 months. At 6 months we introduced solid foods and did a baby led weaning of sorts. He really picked up and started to take in solid foods around 9-10 months. At 12 months we introduced WCM and at 19 months he nurses in the morning and at night. He eats a TON of food throughout the day. I think nursing is more for comfort or just because it is our routine. I don't see us stopping any time soon although there are some days where I think he is just about to give up the morning nursing session only to come back to it. Who knows. I like where we are right now and would have never guessed how easy it could be now during those first 6 months when it all seemed so hard.

BabyFruit Ticker

imageimage 

BFP 1/24/2012 - DS Born 9/22/2012 (11 days early!)
    BFP 2/15/2014 - CP 2/19/2014
    BFP 11/4/2014 - Due 7/14/2015
  • BM only until almost 7mo. Still nursing and she's almost one. :)

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • AlikiAliki member
    giglamesh said:
    I'm having a hard time between being too selfish and too selfless. I want to give LO breast milk but its really hard sometimes because I don't always have enough in reserve if I want to get out of the house for a little while or go away for a night with the hub. I need a life but I want to do what's best for her. I think I'm just too anal sometimes. I dunno.
    Getting out of the house for a while is fine and healthy for a momma, but when the baby gets a bottle, you should be pumping. This will prevent you from losing your supply and the need to supplement with formula. That way, you can enjoy going out AND still maintaining your breastfeeding relationship!

I EBF my first DD for 6 months, then BF until 1 year while introducing solids.

I'm now at 5 weeks now with my second DD and hoping to do the same.
    TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 6 months EBF, BM and solids from then on.  Still BFing and she's 7.5 months.  I'm planning to go at least a year, probably longer. 
  • MomtoHMomtoH member
    EBF for 6ish months and then added solids.  BF until 25 months
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"