December 2011 Moms
Options

All day preschool?

Warning: may become a novel.

Early Intervention home visits end at age 3 so they encourage going to preschool. They would like him to start in September already to ensure his aide. They want a specific "nurse para" that was paired with another child that is going to kindergarten and she won't be following him. If he starts in September and if he goes full days or not is completely up to us. We can decide to do whatever we feel is right and they just have to go with it.

I am ok with a September start for a couple reasons. It's free, so no daycare costs. His babysitter now doesn't really interact with him like a teacher would. I really do think it would benefit him and maybe get him to be developmentally where his peers are by the time kindergarten starts. 

They run from 8:30 to 3 Monday through Friday. We would only send him 4 days because Fridays are his therapy day 45 minutes away, it lasts for 2.5 hours. I originally thought of sending him for half days, but after thinking about it, maybe full days wouldn't be so bad. If I picked him up when I get off work at 12, I would put him down for a nap right away. So he'd either be napping at home or at preschool. If he stayed until 3, I would have a chance to get groceries by myself, clean by myself, basically get 'me' time. 

Tell me what I might be missing. Are there cons to sending him all day? Are there cons to sending him to preschool this early? I just want to make the right choice.

Re: All day preschool?

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    As long as he gets a decent nap, I think he will be fine. DD is going to preschool 5 days a week in the afternoon so no naps. Lawd help us cause she might start going to bed at 6pm because she is a cranky mess.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    -T--T- member
    They do nap. I should have clarified a little bit. The preschool is in 2 halves, special needs and typical. The special needs side has younger kids than normal so they do nap, some up to 2 hours. I meet with them next week so I was trying to prepare myself for giving them an answer on what we're planning on doing. One of my concerns is that if he needs to nap longer, is that they will let him. If its a long day, he's going to need his sleep!
  • Options
    I think I would try the full day and just see how it goes. DS is still in early intervention for speech and they will pay for him to do 3 hours of preschool but not until january after he turns 3. It sounds awesome that they will do the full day and he gets a nap though, I'm sure it would be good for him to get a lot more teacher/student interaction. Let us know what you end up doing as I'd like to hear how it goes too since we'll do it eventually :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    See how he naps at school.  If this were my DS I would only do a 1/2 day because he is terrible at sleeping anywhere except his own crib.  

We are starting this August 3 half days a week... I will pick him up from school at 11:30 or 12:30 (if he stays for lunch or not) and bring him home to nap.  I could keep him there until 3:30 but they don't have the kids nap there so it's not really an option for us until he drops his nap (hopefully a very long time from now).  :)
  • Options
    Full day sounds like the best fit to me!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"