Multiples

Vanishing Twin or Still Twins?

At the outset, please let me state that I am transferring care to a new Dr. after my follow-up 2 weeks from now (the new Dr. couldn't get me in until the end of May). Had my first ultrasound yesterday & it turns out I'm not as far along as we thought (no periods, pregnant straight off the IUD, & traditionally longer cycles), so we're 6 weeks & a few days according to the scan. Dr. found two amniotic sacks but focused on one & found a heartbeat after some finagling. She didn't find anything in the other sack & just shrugged & said "Oh, well." She also, in reference to the first, said, "Well, there's a heartbeat, for now anyway." So her complete lack of bedside manner aside, my question is, since it's so early, is it possible that we actually have twins, or is it more likely that we unfortunately have a super early miscarried multiple? I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar?

Re: Vanishing Twin or Still Twins?

• It is definitely possible. I am so sorry your doctor feels they can treat people that way, you do not deserve that.
    image    image    image    image

• hellopartyof5hellopartyof5 member
    edited April 2014
    Hi! I'm a lurker, but I think it can go either way. It depends on if the other egg implanted later than the 1st one. (I think... I might have it mixed up) I'm actually in the same situation, and get to go in for my second u/s on Thursday to see if the 2nd sac is developing. This is happening 1 week after my first u/s. I'm sorry your doc has such horrible bedside manner!!! I would be freaking if that's what my dr said to me!
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you! I knew I couldn't be the only one & while I understand the possibility of non-development, I just didn't get any helpful or relevant information from that woman, it was really as though she couldn't care less. She kept repeating how possible it was that I might miscarry early on. Clearly, I'm aware, but who says that to a newly pregnant person unless there is a specific cause for concern? Anyway, I appreciate the perspective from someone else who received more/more positively framed info from their doctor.
  • My dr couldn't even see the other baby that early on. We did not find out until 10weeks that we had two in there and they are both measuring exactly the same
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • What a horrible bedside manner. I would have let them have it and then cried all the way home. When I was 6 weeks my doctor did tell me that one heartbeat was lower than the other. He sat me down to give me this info and when I started crying he said that my job was to relax , think positive thoughts and let him do the worrying. The following week when he told me the heart rate had gone up and he smiled and gave me a big hug though warning me I wasn't out of woods yet. At 12 weeks he said I think I can safely say you have twins that have 90% chance of making it. It was best news ever. I wish you luck finding new doc
  • This didn't happen to us but I'm sorry you had to deal with that OB and her horrible bedside manner. I've seen quite a few stories here about early ultrasounds and a number of them did have happy endings so hoping the next couple weeks go quickly and yours is one more for the list.
  • Yes, this could go either way at this point. Good luck and congratulations! 
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • I am so happy to hear you are changing doctors! Congrats on your pregnancy
    imageimage
  • Sorry you had such a rude dr. There was nothing in the sac? I would think there should be a fetal pole? Good luck. Heart beats start during week 6 so hope its there by week 7 abd you were a day or 2 early

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"