Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Lead - Fingerstick showed higher than normal level

So, my son tested higher than normal for lead with a level of 6 (5 and below is normal). 

Anyone else have the fingerstick lead test come back high, and the blood draw be normal? Ped is sending us in a month for a repeat, since the level was so borderline. He says sometimes the actual venipuncture is more accurate. 

Our house was built in 1985, we have a well, he spends no time in any environment that would be at risk for lead. The only thing is my husband shoots trap very frequently and uses lead-based ammunition, so perhaps the dust is around the house. I just don't know! 
Started TTC 2/2009
Started fertility treatments 11/2010
Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
6 failed medicated IUI's
Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
Decided to adopt - 6/2012
SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
Here we go again...
Due 8/26/19!

Re: Lead - Fingerstick showed higher than normal level

• Options
    Some toys actually contain lead. Crazy, right?! You'd think that there'd be an effective way to prevent that. Here's a site that tells you about the crazy things in some toys. 

You can search for your toy using the search box at the top right. Unfortunately, while they have lots of toys they don't have nearly every toy out there, but it's a place to start. 
  • Options
    There can be a lot of sources.  Soil, if it is contaminated, lead pipes, possibly, some times of pottery that you might use to eat.  I would do a follow up test even if the next draw is negative.  You can have people test your house or I think buy tests at the store.  Lead is super bad so you don't want to have any chance of actually being exposed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"