Trying to Get Pregnant

Baby dust?

It was just brought to my attention that I have been using the term baby dust in some posts and it has offended a few. I am very sorry if anyone was offended and if anybody could spare their time to explain to me why baby dust is gross or offensive please do. I had no idea. It was a termed used a lot here 4 years ago whenever I was trying for our first. I must be out of the loop. Thank you. On a side note: to me, my definition of baby dust is sparkly baby glittery dust that brings you luck in conceiving. Kinda like fairy dust that makes you fly. Something magical and cute just to say. Even when I look up the term it means good luck in conceiving.

baby development

Re: Baby dust?

• I believe some have said it reminds them of ground up babies. :(

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you very much for letting me know. Like I said that term was bounced around everywhere on This site a long time ago. I will keep it to myself then. Sorry if I upset anyone. I truly didn't know.

baby development
  • Definitely what @Sassmaster33 said... it was a common term on a different board when I was TTC #1 10 years ago. I'm so glad I didn't use that term this time around!
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10 (born August 2004)
    Married 03/01/14
    TTC#2
    BFP: 05/17/2014 EDD: 1/25/15 MMC: 06/30/2014
    BFP: 01/31/15 MMC: 02/25/15 

• I just had to open this thread while eating my breakfast....
  • I was wondering the same thing...thanks for clearing it up ladies, that makes a lot of sense now :)
    Hudson photo 18-3_zps5a790486.jpg
  • Joy2611 said:
    sister13 said:
    Joy2611 said:
    sister13 said:
    Joy2611 said:
    8411mommy said:
    to me, my definition of baby dust is sparkly baby glittery dust that brings you luck in conceiving. Kinda like fairy dust that makes you fly. Something magical and cute just to say.
    Magic, glitter, and fairies are for children - not adults.
    Except for the glitter part - Joy nailed it!

Boards have different conventions and this one does not go in for false hope and a lot of the fake positivity crap spewed on other boards.

Excuse me, big eyeball.  Let's discuss how I can't recognize you now.
    Ok, Philly Elphaba - after we discuss how it looks like you actually have glitter floating around your avatar!!!
    oh, the touche-ness.

I can't even respond.  :-)
    I know, it's really funny.  :D

TTC#1 since May 2012. Low AMH, High FSH.
    Factor II (Prothrombin) Mutation
    TTGP Award Best PIP 2013 & 2014

My Chart

• Can things like this be added to the Newbie Blog? 

I chose TB over other sites because I'm a very pragmatic person who does not need sparkles and rainbows exploding on my screen every time I post that I feel a slight twinge under my belly button, but terms like baby dust are flooding every other TTC/TTGP board. I can see why anyone using these terms would be surprised they were not positively received on this board.

Edited: Grammar
    I mentioned this to someone last week as I too got caught up using the term. Hopefully it will be added for others to read!
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • MeagCMeagC member
    I also had seen the term and did not know what it was so offensive.
    Thanks for asking and thanks everyone for clearing it up!

image       image
  • SliptakSliptak member
    edited March 2014

It doesn't offend me, but I do think it is a stupid term, like baby dancing. I just cringed even typing that. If you want to wish someone good luck, why not just say "good luck" ? 

I haaaaaaate baby dancing.  It's sex.

-------------edit quote box fail---------------

I like humping it out too :)
    My family so far!
    Peace, love, and happiness

• It makes me think of ground up babies in a pepper mill... 
    This is what I always thought of, until someone posted that her baby dust was sitting in an urn on her mantle. That just about broke my heart, and I would never want to bring that image to any woman's mind with a childish phrase. "Baby dust" isn't a real thing, and if it were, I wouldn't want people throwing it at me like rice at a wedding. Edit: missed letter, added words

I'm not aware if I've used the term "baby dust" around here, and if I did it was probably more ironic than serious, but if I have said it at all EVER, I apologize. 

Sincerely I apologize.

I'd never compared baby dust to ashes in an urn before this, but it makes sense as to why it would be insensitive, and I feel like I've learned something.

• I love hearing that a newb checked the blog! Only a handful actually do and the rest cry that we're mean cause they ask questions that are clearly answered in there.
    Like building Ikea furniture...look at the damn instructions before you start putting the dresser together.
    I put my Kivic couch and chaise together without the instructions. I'm kinda proud. A weird talent I have. Also, I'm impatient....but I swear I read the newbie blog before I first posted. 
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • jconno said:
    The term doesn't offend me but I would rather not see it on this board. It reminds me of other sites like babygaga and I don't wanna see that same tone here.
    This pretty much sums up how I feel, too! I do like that I can vent about my symptoms on the TWW thread, and I like that I get realistic advice and anecdotes from others rather than "Ermahgerd yer totes preggers!!!" Empty reassurances don't do much for me. I frequent TB because the people here are smart and funny. I don't find that anywhere else :) So when someone blows baby dust on these boards, we're like "NOOOOOOO Take that back to babygaga!"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you OP for the question. I have also read the newbie blog and could not find the answer as well. I know the term was used on TTCAL back in 2011 and some of 2012 when we were TTC #1. And thank you everyone for the answers.

Together since July 21 2002

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Since we are talking about things to possibly add to the newbie blog what does 
    tl;dr,  and ded. I have figured out HIO, and FFFC. 
  • @Mrswirt2013 - tl;dr = too long, didn't read
                                                  *********************SIGGY WARNING*************************
                                        May 14 Siggy                                             
    TTC #1 since June 2012.  DX: Unexplained Infertility.  Me: Hypothyroid
    3 Failed Femara + TI cycles and 4 Failed Injects + B2B IUI cycles
    Cycle 23: IVF#1 CoQ10 + Lupron + Puregon = BFP!!
    Beta #1: 199   Beta #2: 800+   It's TWINS!  EDD: Feb 19, 2015
    Team Purple!!!!
    L & E arrived early on January 5, 2015!!
    ~~~All are welcome!~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have always seen that thrown around on other boards but never knew it's meaning. After reading some of the responses about it, I'm so glad I NEVER cared for the term to begin with! Thank goodness for finding this out before I had the chance to "join the dark side"

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Arial-BoldMT;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red103\green103\blue103;\red247\green247\blue247;}
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\b\fs36 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2

zak-fucking-bagans:

\
    \

I wanna go to\'a0Disneyland now ahaha<3

\
    \

}
  • Wow so ignore whatever my phone decided to take upon itself and do to my post 8-}

• Myamia91 said:

Wow so ignore whatever my phone decided to take upon itself and do to my post 8-}

Apparently you want to go to Disneyland because of Baby Dust. Maybe Tinkerbell has some? ;-)

That is hilarious! I was aiming for Star Wars attached to the post. Not sure how it went from Jedi to going to Disney. Hey, I'll take it though since it still fits the the topic :)
  • PrimRoseMamaPrimRoseMama member
    edited April 2014
    @Myamia91‌ : though I do love me some Zak...

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• =P~

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• I'm not offended, it's just a stupid thing to say.

BabyFetus Ticker

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP: 6/4/14       EDD: 2/11/15
  • I think of this...
    yeah i heard if you put your face up to the dust you will conceive twins instantly. <3

baby development
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"