Parenting after a Loss

Cracked nipple and pumping?

klbowieklbowie member
edited March 2014 in Parenting after a Loss
So ladies my right nipple is cracked and has been for a couple weeks. I have been coating it in lanolin or mother's love cream after each feeding and it's not healing. I was thinking about just feeding from the left and pumping from the right to keep up production and give my nipple a chance to heal. I'm worried that if I do this baby will get use to a bottle or I won't produce enough without feeding her the pumped milk. Any thoughts on this? Or suggestions on how to get my nipple to heal? I dread every time it's feeding time on that side. Also, how much would I feed baby (oz) if I did pump? TIA
BFP#1 02/19/12 missed mc 03/30/12 1st D&C 05/16/12 2nd D&C 08/17/12 
BFP #2 06/26/13 EDD 2/26/14 Hoping for my rainbow baby!
image Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

~~AL Always Welcome~~
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Cracked nipple and pumping?

• Personally I feel like pumping is more wear and tear than feeding directly.  I'm sorry that it is isn't healing becuase it sounds like you are doing everything right.  Have you had a Dr or LC look at it to make sure there are no infections like yeast, that could be delaying healing?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• I, too, think that pumping is worse on my nips than just BFing. Unless, of course, my DD has a bad latch going on...

And, I agree with @mkc5869 to do BM on the nips and more air time for them. If you cannot run around topless (wheeee!) then try some nipple shells to keep them protected from rubbing by your clothes/breastpads/etc.

I hope they heal soon for you!
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey!! Just wanted to offer some sympathy cause I have the same thing going on with my left nipple! I call it the Grand Canyon! The nipple shells seem to work pretty well for me! I will tell you that I decided to pump one day and when put on the lowest setting it didn't hurt as badly.  The draw back was I pumped till empty and that breast decided to produce that much every time.  It produced so much that it would make a huge mess every time I nursed and made Eli spit up a bunch more, I guess cause let down was so much.  It took several days to get back to normal.  Right now I'm just riding it out and hoping it heals soon!! Good luck to you and yours!! <3

image    image   image

BFP#1 2/5/13 - EDD 10/11/13 - MMC@8wks - D&C 3/7/13
    BFP#2 7/10/13 - EDD 3/21/14- Eli's Here!!
    imageimageimageimage

~*~All AL Welcome~*~

FOR A GOOD TIME: ****/post/150810/thread

• I have had amazing luck with Natures Gate lotion healing cracks on my psoriasis-affected hands. It isn't baby safe but maybe try it at night. Also, don't use soap on your breasts. Just cleanse with some lukewarm water. You could also try straight oil, like olive or coconut. I have chronically dry skin and it sucks. I have had minor cracks on my nipple but nothing that crazy. I hope you heal well, and I'm so sorry you're dealing with this!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"