3rd Trimester
Options

flying at 34 weeks

Hi ladies!

I'm not yet in my third trimester, but I have a question about flying at 34 weeks. I'm thinking of flying up to see my parents for a weekend before the baby comes-- it's only a 2 hour flight, and I'd have my husband with me and access to medical care if anything happens while I'm there. 

I called my Dr's office to ask for some medical advice on this matter, and a nurse just left a message saying they "don't generally recommend flying after 34 weeks" but did not give a reason. I've never seen this nurse so she doesn't know my medical history. (And I can't reach her to ask more follow-up questions-- they're really bad about getting back to patients regarding non-emergency matters.) I was thinking that general consensus is closer to 36 weeks as a cut-off for flying pregnant. 

This is my first baby, and everything has gone very smoothly-- no issues or causes for concern at any point. I've experienced no bleeding, or contractions, or anything like that. I'm feeling ok about traveling-- I know it won't be comfortable and that I'll have to drink a lot of fluids and move around as much as I can. 

Has anyone here been flying in their third trimester? When is the latest you would make a trip by airplane?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: flying at 34 weeks

• Options
    I flew at the beginning of my 3rd , and found it very uncomfortable.  Simple little things like standing in the security line, trekking down to the gate with a carryon, sitting in the uncomfortable waiting area, stowing carry on bags were difficult for me.

As for medical reasons, I believe they're just generally worried about you going into labour on the plane.  I'm pretty high risk and my doc said she was ok with me travelling up until 36 weeks (as long as it was nowhere exotic), so I'd clear it with your doc, and consider whether you think you're physically up to it, but other than that, should be fine.  Have fun!
  • Options
    My doc says 36 weeks as well, but with my first i flew at 32 and it was hard! And that was a 90 min flight, but it was still hard...
    Talk to your doc at your next appointment and see what he says, it may be fine...

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'll be traveling again at 34.5 weeks and my doctor is fine with it up to 36 weeks as long as I'm not being followed by MFM or having contractions (which both are a no to me).  Maybe bring it up with the actual MD when you see them next.
    imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'll also add that when I traveled last week at 30.5 week it sucked and was really uncomfortable and painful for me.  My longest flight was a little over 3 hours.  I upgraded to first class and an aisle seat for my next trip since the longest flight will be about 5 hours :(
    imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I just flew two days ago. I'm just now 30 weeks, but it definitely wasn't the most fun experience. I have had no swelling at all during this pregnancy, but my ankles BALLOONED during both my going and return flights. I did have 2 flights each direction though, and spent at least 1 1/2 - 2 hours on each plane.

My doctor said as long as I was healthy, she'd let me fly as late as I wanted, but most airlines stop you by 36 weeks.

On another note, I also had a pat down through security instead of the machine, just because I didn't find the giant xray (I know it's not actually xrays) necessary. Just plan extra time for this, if you opt out, because they usually have to track down someone to pat you down. First airport took probably 10-15 mins extra, coming back was more like 5.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I flew at 26 and 28 weeks, and found it uncomfortable (but it was two transatlantic flights).  Like PP said, it wasn't just the length of the flight, it was lugging bags and carry-ons, waiting in line, sitting in the waiting area....the whole thing.  Just make sure to give yourself lots of extra time at the airport because you might be moving REALLY slowly.  You might even call ahead to the airline to ask for extra assistance getting to your gate.

Also, check your airline's policy before you book anything, and make sure you get their policy IN WRITING.  They might require a doctor's note, or they might not let you fly at all.  It would suck to be told that you can fly, then get to the airport on the day of your flight (or worse, the day of your return flight) and be told you aren't allowed to fly.
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    I flew at 26 weeks and was fine, and I'll be flying again at almost 32 weeks. I have compression socks to wear for the flight which may help with the swelling, and I also plan to check my bags so I'm not lugging extra stuff around.  Also, I'm also one of the people that prefers to opt out of the body scanners, so allowing a little extra time for the pat down. My Dr. is cool with me flying up until 34 weeks, and the airline says 36. 

** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl came to us through the miracle of
     Mini IVF! **

• Options
    I've got a 8ish hour flight home at 35w and change. I am not looking forward to it.

My midwife is fine with me flying up to 36w as long as I stay low-risk. So is the airline I am flying on. If I were to fly past 36w I would need a note from my midwife saying that I would not go into labour in the next 48hours.

• Options
    It is fine.  I flew at 35 weeks last pregnancy, and will be flying at 36 this pregnancy.  Like others have said you may need a Drs note, or you can just always tell them you are due a month later than you really are.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Options
    I just got home a couple of days ago. For me, flying at 30 weeks sucked! My tail bone hurt so bad and I felt like I had been beaten up the next day.
  • Options
    I flew at 30 weeks. My doc said it's OK until a month before your due date. I'm in general low risk and am not too uncomfortable. The 5 hour flight was fine. I got up a few times to do stretches. It was no worse than sitting at my desk at work. I did opt for the pat down because i didn't trust the machine. It took 5 extra minutes.
  • Options
    Kimbus22 said:
    Valie18 said:
    I've got a 8ish hour flight home at 35w and change. I am not looking forward to it.

My midwife is fine with me flying up to 36w as long as I stay low-risk. So is the airline I am flying on. If I were to fly past 36w I would need a note from my midwife saying that I would not go into labour in the next 48hours.
    How can they demand that?  I mean, I get requiring a note saying you are medically clear to fly but you can't ask for a guarantee that you won't go into labor.  No one can guarantee that.
    I looked it up again quickly and that last bit about labour may not need to be in the note - just that you're clear to fly for the next 24 or 48 hours.

The sense that "no one can guarantee" that LOs arrival won't be imminent; that the airline would see me as a special case and that my midwife is keen to have me on the ground beyond 36w made it pretty easy for me to make the call that I want to be done flying before then.

• Options
    I've flown during the third trimester for all my pregnancies & found it was fine. I babied myself with my first (compression socks, walking around, water, etc) but with my second & third I just pressed on as normal & personally have no complaints about standing discomfort or anything like that. I'd fly before 36 though.

• Options
    Kimbus22 said:
    Valie18 said:

How can they demand that?  I mean, I get requiring a note saying you are medically clear to fly but you can't ask for a guarantee that you won't go into labor.  No one can guarantee that.
    If they're stupid enough to demand it, that's their problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"