Cloth Diapering

Washing AIOs.

My stash has always been prefolds and a handful of pockets, but recently I got some used thirsties AIOs and now I am having stink issues with just the AIOs.

I wash EOD, cold light wash, hot wash heavy, cold light wash. Tide to the 1 line.

I don't use the AIOs often, they aren't very absorbent without a doubler, but they are nice to have for grandparents or babysitters, and for out and about. They also take FOREVER to dry.

Is it worth revamping my wash routine for a few diapers that aren't my favorite, or would you just quit using them?
Since stink is the issue I assume that more detergent is the solution. Since my prefolds and pockets are fine right now, that makes me worried that adding more detergent I will have to worry about build up, or do a third rinse or something.
Married 6/18/11
BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Washing AIOs.

• Are they MF or natural fibers? MF always required more detergent to get clean IMO.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • edited March 2014
    Has there always been a stink issue with them? Since they were used they may have issues... Ammonia, barnyard, etc. that may need to be resolved... Once it's resolved I think your wash routine looks fine.

Did you bleach them?
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes they are MF, I suppose that is the issue.

And when I got them I stripped and then bleached. ( I had a bad experience with used once, so I err on the side of caution.)

If I add more detergent how much more should I add if it is just 2 or 3 in a load where the rest is prefolds and covers?
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Are you turning them inside out when you dry them?  Having the underside of the microfiber exposed (rather than the stay-dry fleece) cuts down the drying time a lot.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited March 2014
    I found that mine were holding the detergent. I do a quick wash on warm/warm to rinse them better for my last rinse before drying.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"