September 2014 Moms
Options

Question about testing for abnormalities and such?

I've done some research on the different kinds of testing but I have one question that I can't find the answer to online. And I know it's something ultimately I have to decide, but I'm just curious what you would do.

My baby's father will have absolutely NOTHING to do with me or the baby (which I'm over this, and by no means am looking for a pity party--I've merely accepted the fact he's an asshole.) but I don't know anything about his medical history, I don't believe there is anything wrong with him genetically but I don't know if he carries anything. He nor his mother will answer Me, and it's quite frustrating because I haven't contacted them for anything, but this. I don't need him I just want to know if I should be concerned about anything! (Sorry, end rant.)

Would you have the testing done to be sure or just wait it out?
ECat504
SO
SD (11/2010)
DD1 (09/2014)
DD2 (10/2015)
Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)

Re: Question about testing for abnormalities and such?

• Options
    I would talk to your Dr. and see what they have to say.  You aren't the only one out there without the father in the picture so I'm sure they would have some advise/suggestions.  Also depends on what you want to do.  Do you want/need to know?  Are you willing to do any tests no matter if there are risks?  Best of luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our situation is that my husband's mother was adopted so we don't know her family history. We are planning to do the quad screen and if anything comes back abnormal we will do Mat21, but we will choose not to have an amnio done no matter the results. Good luck to you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would like to know, because I like to be prepared. I don't like the idea of the amino test either @BethanyB2609‌ but I do like the way you're going about it. @bf43005‌ I'll definitely be talking to my doctor about it at my next appointment to see what she recommends. I was just curious to see how others handled similar situations. Thank you ladies :)
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • Options
    If you want to know to be prepared then I'd do the Quadscreen.  I personally would talk to my dr first though.  LIke PP said, I'm sure they've had conversations with other patients in your situation and could have some valuable advice.  
  • Options
    mle5dmle5d member
    With DS1 we did the first trimester ultrasound and blood work b/c there is some history of Downs in my family.  DH and I already knew that a positive result would not have changed anything, but we wanted to be prepared and have an idea if we needed extra support at the hospital or anything like that. My odds were kind of high, so they offered the amnio, but we decided the risks of that outweighed any benefit and didn't do it. 

With this pregnancy, we did the newer ultra-screen, which gives fairly definitive results rather than odds. Again, we don't want to do the amnio, but want to be prepared.
  • Options
    Even if you don't know his family history, do you know his ancestry? This would help docs narrow down what they may need to test for. For example, ppl with a French Canadian ancestry have a higher risk of carrying mutations that cause Tay Sachs and Cystic Fibrosis.
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"