Sensory Issues with Clothing — The Bump
Special Needs

Sensory Issues with Clothing

My daughter has a bunch of sensory issues with clothing.  She won't wear jeans, will not put anything in her hair like barettes/hair ties, and hates any shirts with sleeves.  She likes tank tops and long sleeves, but that's it - no short sleeved or 3/4 length sleeve shirts.  

Usually I just let her roll with her preferences and it's no big deal.  But, her school has a no tank top policy, so I'm sort of wondering what to do as the weather gets warmer.  She can only wear long sleeves for so long, before it's in the 80's and 90's.  Her teachers know of her issue and I occasionally sent her in a fitted tank in the fall, but I don't want to do that every day.

Any tips or techniques to get children with sensory issues to wear "non-preferred" clothing?
Mom to Abigail & Liliana -- Identical Twin Girls -- April 2008
Baby #3 due September 12, 2014!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Sensory Issues with Clothing

• She would probably wear a shirt like that.  Thanks.  Sort of feels tank toppy to me, but better than most! :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We established clothing rules, too. Last year (in pre-k) they were pretty loose: weather-appropriate, daytime clothes, close-toed shoes. If she wanted to wear rain boots when it was sunny I let her, and we never tried to get her to wear her hair pulled back. For kindie I added more rules. She has "school clothes" to choose from during the week, and she's taking a ballet class which has specific requirements for hair and attire. Her teacher knows about our struggles, so if DD wears something new, she compliments her (she wore patent leather Maryjanes to school one day last week which was huge because they weren't her preferred shoe or her preferred color). The more we push it, the easier it gets to work in new things. She still doesn't wear jeans, but I think we'll get there eventually.
  • DS hates hats so I am curious of how your DD would be able to handle the barrettes and bows if there are any strategies.

We are okay clothing wise but I switch out clothes according to season. DS can only wear what he sees. SO when short weather comes, I put away all pants and long sleeves out of sight.

I have nothing else to offer to help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everybody for your suggestions!!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards