March 2014 Moms
Options

Question for EPers

How do I determine how much breast milk to give him? We don't supplement or fortify.

I was told to give him 46 mLs with a daily total of 368 while in the hospital. He hasn't gained weight so we have stuck with that goal. He is finally taking full feeds and seems to be looking for more and hungry in much less than 3 hours. I have a weight check tomorrow and I'll talk to the pediatrician, but I wanted to see how you guys determine feeding amounts.

Re: Question for EPers

• Options
    I have no advice since we haven't left NICU yet, but does your pediatrician have a non emergency phone or email contact you could use? There have been a few times when Ava was still hungry after her 40 MLs, and the nurses have just heated up about 20 more if she wanted it on a cue basis only.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll put 60 in his bottle and see how it goes. I wasn't saving from the last feeding so I will do that now. Very helpful - appreciate it!

@jsmath - he'll be a month tomorrow but I believe his intake was calculated based on his weight. He was 5 lbs at last check.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We got told if they took full feedings for a day or so to add about 10 ml to their bottles. If they take it all and don't puke it up, they're fine. We continued this and have leveled out at 100 mls at 9 1/2 weeks. From what I've heard, they don't need much more than 3-4 oz of breast milk at one time. If they still seem hungry with this amount, just decrease the time between feedings but not the amount. But take my advice with a grain of salt...I'm a FTM just going by what I was told!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Check out my blog: http://blondheimtwins.blogspot.com/

• Options
    My LO is a week old today and is taking about 50-70 with each feed. I just follow cues from baby. She's gained 9 oz so far today.
  • Options
    I'm curious how big your kids are. Is weight used in the determination at all? Last measurement on Friday, he was 5 lbs and 18 inches, so he's still very tiny. Of course, maybe that's bc I'm not feeding him enough. Haha. ;)
  • Options
    Sloan is 6.1 now. 9 oz gain since birth ( 1 week ago) and she's at the 50-70
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"