July 2014 Moms
Options

"Don't buy anything until after your shower"

2»

Re: "Don't buy anything until after your shower"

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Salsera29 said:
    I've been told by pretty much everyone not to buy anything yet and it's driving me crazy. I want to spread out the costs, but apparently family thinks that even big stuff might be gifted to us (this is the first baby on both sides in almost 20 years). I've been good and have only purchased a couple onesies and painted the nursery, etc. but I'm getting nervous. I really don't want to have to drop 4 figures in June on everything.
    Yeah that's definitely a concern. We're just trying to save as much as possible with the understanding that it's going to go towards baby stuff, whenever that may be.
    This is exactly how I feel and what we are doing. We're trying to save at least $200 a month to be able to get the big ticket items that may not be given to us at our shower. I would rather prefer to get our crib now. Especially since it's $100 off and has an additional 15% off coupon online.

ETA - I showed hubby how much money we would save on our crib and he gave the go ahead!! Yay! Take that ya stupid baby shower registry!

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

• Options
    I had three big showers with DD (about 30 people minimum each time), and I was able to buy a bunch ahead of time.

I too wanted the nursery pretty much done by the showers. This way I was able to bring stuff home and put it away. We had bought our car seat, changing table, crib, mattress, diaper pail, PnP, and swing all ahead of time.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is currently the second biggest argument between me and the other half.  There's a HUGE consignment sale next week and I wanted to just peruse if any of the big ticket items were at a ridiculous price.  Admittedly, we will be moving so I'm not doing any crazy shopping, but I'd like to plan ahead if I can rather than having to buy everything after the shower which is at 34 weeks.  I'm REALLY frustrated, but I figure if he feels this strongly, so be it.  We're trying to squirrel money away each month so it's there when we need it.  My bridal shower with my ex was sort of a bust so I'm not expecting to get a ton of stuff and figured on buying it, I'm just concerned about having to rush. 
    My sweet little munchkin! 
    8 lbs, 13 oz.  21" long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I started getting some stuff when I see a deal on it. Mom keeps saying no, but it doesnt make sense to me. Over 100 dollars off our stroller? Or wait to see if someone maybe forks up 230 dollars for it and if not have to get it at retail.... meh. The way I figure, we need SO much stuff, and its just not likely someone will say Oh I only want to get the stroller and since thats gone... i guess nothing! Not so likely. Luckily though she wanted to buy the crib herself and knew we wanted to set up the nursery so she already had it delivered. Itll be a relief to get that set up at least.
  • Options
    I've bought a few things and am plannig to order the nursery furniture this week. DH is a little concerned about having enough on the registry but their are still plenty of large and small items we need. He's also pretty agreeable when I point out a good sale.
  • Options
    I think it helps that I requested (when asked) that my shower be at 27w. I did not want to wait until last min to buy whatever else was needed. My plan is to be done with everything at 33w :)
  • Options
    TKT17 said:

Also, related question: as a FTM, I'm really unsure what size clothes to buy, do y'all get NB or 0-3 mos or a mix?

A combo of sizes. We were told that DS would be 9+lbs so we exchanged the nb stuff for 0-3. DS came 3 weeks early and was 7lbs 12oz and we needed nb clothes for a month or so. DH ended up running to the store to get some nb sleepers and nb diapers, we didn't think we would need nb diapers either.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have a crib and a few big items from our daughter but we are having twins so we have to get two of everything. I like being prepared. We probably won't have a shower so I'm not relying on that. I'm buying now because we don't know when they'll arrive. I think you should just buy when you feel like it. Don't let a shower stop you from getting what you prefer.
  • Options
    That's a really good idea @Caitlinrj‌! I think I'll start doing that with my next check! :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    tourqeyestourqeyes member
    edited March 2014
    I would have waited until my shower to buy things like bottles, clothes, playmats, etc. 

I could not, however, have waited until May to buy items not related to nursery furniture and whatnot.

• Options
    With DS1, we bought all of the nursery furniture ourselves so we did that before any showers. We didn't even register for those items since we intended to purchase them ourselves. MIL/FIL bought the crib bedding so that was taken care of, too. I think it totally depends on how many showers you are having and how many people you anticipate will come to each. We had three showers, but they were all on the smallish side so we bought most baby gear ourselves. We mostly received clothes, blankets, and toys at our showers. Good thing we didn't bank on people buying everything for us! ;)
  • Options
    FYI: at least for my last pregnancy, if you don't get the  stuff on your registry, stores offer you a little discount on those items. So it would be worth it not to, and also worth it to put a tom of stuff on just in case you want to get it later. I'd shop sales too, whenever they occur.

I'm not having a shower, but I'm not planning on thinking about that stuff until it's nice out and I feel like sorting through what we DO have from the last pregnancy. I know it's a little different, but you can always run out after the baby is born. What they need is clothes and a few feeding supplies and a car seat. Technically then can sleep in your bed if you have the bare minimum. We didn't have a room or crib for ds until 4-6 mo. only because his stuff was taking over my space. even bottles they can be picky on, so getting a whole feeding system may be a waste. a pump was helpful for bfing.
    imageimage"">

• Options
    The only items I've purchased for baby were clearance steals I couldn't resist, and even then only for a travel system, crib and changing table (expensive stuff). The only small items that I will purchase myself before a shower will be things that I imagine no one will want to purchase for us, like crib sheets and mattress pads. I don't plan to spend a dime on clothing or toys, either.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm having another girl 25 months after my last. I only got rid of a few random easily replaceable things. I'm so bummed when I see baby stuff! I want to buy something! I've gotten one little sleeper for her so far. With my last, if I'd waited, I'd have gotten nothing! No one threw me a shower. Thanks, bestie. >:( luckily, I'm a very thrifty shopper and I already had everything when baby girl arrived 4 weeks early.
    My iPad apologizes for it's lack of formatting.

image   image

• Options
    Ylvelill said:
    I think it helps that I requested (when asked) that my shower be at 27w. I did not want to wait until last min to buy whatever else was needed. My plan is to be done with everything at 33w :)
    I wish my mom would have agreed to this. She is set in stone for the shower to be at 36wks. Suuuuuucks

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

• Options
    we have been told the same to not buy items till after the shower but we want to purchase the bigger things ourselves/ the items that we are really particular on. our crib was given to us from dh's older brother as well as the changing table, we have also been given a stroller and lots of boy clothes though we won't be able to use a lot of them since we found out it was a girl. There is some iteams i am buying because there is a specific one i want that maybe someone would see but not want to purchase that particular one but i have registered for more of the essentials and hoping to get stocked up on those likes the shampoos/body washes, wipes, receiving blankets and more of those items. we are having to go to the city tomorrow so i'm hoping to go do our registries then.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't think we will have a shower this time. (Unless the baby is a boy. DHs family tend to do second showers for different sexes. All we would need is clothes though.)

Anyways, we bought the big ticket stuff beforehand. (Except for the travel system which MIL said she wanted to get us) We got mostly clothes, blankets, play mats. DHs grandparents opened up a savings for DD and a lot of family members on there side contributed to the savings as a gift which was really sweet. I think you're fine buying big stuff but I would hold off on clothes. You'll get a lot.

We got so many boxes of wipes we didn't buy any until DD was close to 18 months old. It was crazy.
  • Options
    We bought a lot of stuff before our showers. We let our parents get us a couple of big items like the high chair and convertible car seat. We bought our travel system, nursery furniture, bedding, and some clothes ahead of time. Of course one side of my family did want to have my second shower after the baby was born because they wanted to know if the baby was a bot or girl since we were team green.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Elisa8683Elisa8683 member
    edited March 2014
    As far as the furniture I would say go ahead and buy it if you know what you want. We bought ours and they said luckily they had it in stock otherwise it could take at least 16 weeks to come in!!!
  • Options

Well, I have been waiting out of principle to buy things, but slowly I am starting to purchase things. It has only been two things so far, but one of them was our crib mattress at BRU that was originally $150, but on sale for 50% off. I couldn't pass it up, and DH (shockingly) agreed! Anything we need for baby we plan on being able to provide ourselves, with a shower being a generous gift, but not an expectation for filling our nursery. If we are content purchasing everything ourselves, why pass up 50% off in the hopes someone will buy it for us (at full price) for our shower? It just seems silly. So, we officially have our first registry purchase - but it was me ;). I'm shameless.

We did the same thing today! Half off mattresses at BRU! I too feel like DH and I made the choice to have a child, so I feel obligated to get whatever I can afford, and be grateful for whatever we are gifted!
  • Options
    So far we have bought our crib and the mattress, as well as our bedding (it was on sale!) we are repainting the dressers I have had since I was a baby and we've bought some decorations that were just too cute. We did all of this with our income tax and we plan on buying a few more of the big ticket items like glider and car seat in the next couple of months. Our shower is in June so I want to have as much of the nursery done as possible. For certain times that I really want I go ahead and buy because I'm kind of picky and my husband has an aunt who loves to buy us things we don't like because she thinks her opinion is better, so I have to race her to the punch line lol. My husband is her only nephew and she has no kids of her own so they are close but she did this with our wedding registry, we registered for a set of dishes we really wanted and she went out and bought similar but much cheaper ones at a store we didn't even register at! Every time we talk about something she want she starts with "yea but... Insert insulting idea I think is better than yours" I swear if I hear "yea but.." One more time I will lose it! Sorry to rant I know it's way off subject but I had to get that out.
  • Options
    We're hitting a huge baby consignment sale tonight and I'll be picking up anything that strikes my fancy and we can get a deal on! :) anything we pick up we will just take off the registry and there will still be plenty left we need!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our plan is to but the things that requires assembly ourselves, (ie crib, dresser, glider, closet divider) and leaving the buy and stock away on the registry. That way even @ 8th month, it wont be too much of a hassle and all we need is to organize.
  • Options
    As of right now, we have still been waiting. We have only bought some clothes & some books.

I know it's going to get harder to wait, and we might start buying some things after we move (April 5). My first shower is May 5.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"