LGBT Parenting
Options

Parenting Check-in

I have been up for several hours already, so I figure I will start us off.

What's new with your LO this week? New developments, issues, aw moments? 

QOTD: We got another snow storm here and are sick of it. So... In looking forward to springtime.  What is your favorite springtime activity with LO? Or for us new mommies what are you looking forward to doing this spring with your new LO? 
Same sex couple, Married 8/6/11
Baby Oliver born 11/27/13

TTC stats with donor sperm...
IUI #1 with trigger, 1/4/13 - BFN
IUI #2 with trigger, 2/1/13 BFN
IUI #3 with tigger, 2/28/12 BFP EDD 11/21/13

Re: Parenting Check-in

• Options
    We are doing okay. Sleep is still our biggest issue but L and I just keep trying new things and taking turns at night so we both are getting at least some sleep. We have started questioning if Oliver is teething, he has started drooling like crazy and gnawing on his toys. After chomping for awhile he will randomly burst into tears. We have started some frozen teethers which he seems to really like. Oh, and he has started in the exersaucer this past week. It's always fun to have him grow into a new toy.

QOTD: I can't wait to go to Grant's Farm.  It is a free petting zoo/ wildlife attraction in St Louis.  I haven't been yet and now have an excuse to go with Oliver.  Budweiser supports it so you also get free beer samples.  I just want sunny weather so we can get back outside. 

• Options
    Good morning all!
    Our little ones still have a small cold, but they seem to be getting a little better.  This past week has been a challenging one, but good overall.  We are having some schedule and sleeping issues.  We thought we had the toddler M sleeping thru the night, but she is giving us a run for our money the last few days.  The baby K is waking up at all hours and not going back to sleep right away like she used to do.  My wife and I are taking turns, but we are both exhausted.  I am so lucky and blessed to have such a wonderful wife that is an amazing partner in parenting with me.  We share so much of the burden and she does so much for the girls and me both.

On an even better note, we got our vouchers from children services and we went shopping yesterday.  I mean SHOPPING!!!  We spent 4 hours in Target and 90% of it was fun!  It was a little stressful because the voucher listed specific stuff to buy so we spent a lot of time looking around and some stuff they just didn't have in stock anymore.  We also got extra stuff for both girls (mostly M) like new bedding and fun decorations and a cool night light for their room.  I want to make this their home while they are here, but yet not go totally broke doing it.  We also bought them Easter outfits as we plan to take them to church with us in the coming weeks and also on Easter.  They are totally adorable!!!  Shopping for girls clothes is pretty much become an addiction of mine, I think I need help :-)

Have a wonderful day everyone!  I hope you all have many cuddles, laughs and make wonderful memories today with your little ones.
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Since my post last week, things have improved with day care. The teacher hasn't said anything else to me about sending more milk. And, I did realize just by keeping my eyes open and looking around that most, if not all, of the other kiddos in the class are either entirely or partially formula fed, which may help explain the teacher's lack of knowledge about exclusively BF babies. So, feeling better about that for now.

My goal this weekend was to make LO laugh. I've only heard him laugh in his sleep and have been trying to make him laugh forever. Z took him to see some coworkers on Friday and one of then made him laugh! I was so jealous! And sad I wasnt there to hear it. So, I was determined to make it happen this weekend. I acted a fool all day Saturday and nothing but smiles. Finally, Z found the magic trick on Sunday morning and I was able up get him giggling later in the day. BEST.SOUND.EVER.

QOTW:
    We had a taste of warm weather last weekend, so yesterday's temp drop was super disappointing. I'm secretly (or not so secretly) hoping that we have a weather delay in the morning so I can get some extra snuggles with my baby. Anyhow, Z and I spend a lot of time outdoors running, walking, taking Bama to park, so looking forward to doing all those things with LO. I'm also going to ask the pediatrician at his 4 month well check when we can start taking him out in the running stroller. That will make getting out for a run much easier for me since I can't take him with me right now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Week to week, we don't have much change with the kids! :)  G is in the school play next weekend and it is a week of crazy rehearsals and juggling schedules (and a snow day!)

When it is nice out, we go on family walks (the kids tend to find their scooters) and sometimes we walk over to the FroYo place for a treat. We are also going to make the kids learn to ride their bikes this year! :) We bought them bikes 3y ago and they refused to learn how to ride. They will learn this spring! :) We also live across the street from a park and the kids love to go play soccer/football/stomp rockets with some of the neighborhood kids. And once Memorial Day comes, we are at the pool every weekend!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @sarahtrpt, welcome to the parenting check-in! :) Breastfeeding is much harder than people tell you and painful at first. Keep with it. I was very engorged at first too and did end up with mastitis. Try ice after feedings and pump only enough until you have relief, if you pump too much you will keep having an oversupply. Your supply will even out soon, just hang in there! You're doing great.

• Options
    @sarahtrpt - congrats and welcome! I agree with mwagner about the pumping - it could cause oversupply, which can come with its own set of problems. You could even try hand expressing into a towel or in the shower until you feel relief. I had recurrent plugged ducts from about 3 weeks to 12 weeks postpartum and had a couple close calls with mastitis. If you don't have a fever or aches, you're probably ok (I had the red streaks without the other symptoms a time or two). If you are getting plugged ducts, kellymom.com has some great info (and I can chime in about what helped me if you want me to). In fact, KM is a great resource for everything BF related. I also want to mention is that I wouldn't hesitate to see an IBCLC if you are having any trouble BF (painful latch, oversupply issues, etc.). Should be covered by your insurance. BF is hard, but it gets easier and easier as time passes. This board has been a huge support for me as I've had my own troubles. My only regret is not seeking out professional help sooner.

The sleep just is what it is right now. Those newborns like to party all night! My LO had a pretty predictable sleep pattern beginning around 6 weeks, I think. My advice is to go to bed when your LO does for the night. For us that was around 7:30-8:00pm.
  • Options
    JGYJGY member

Mondays' here already?  Crap.

Gabe turned 11 months last week.  I can't even stand it.  And after a few really promising nights of good sleep, he's now entered into a pattern that seems to be the worst one yet.  He's waking every 1 1/2 hours or so (probably after every sleep cycle, but I haven't read enough about it yet to know).  We finally had S try to respond instead of me last night, but after 5 minutes (our agreed upon time) I went in an nursed him.  We'll keep trying, but I'm not into having him get all worked up.  We will see if we can slowly coax him into a more gentle reaction.

My Sister was here this weekend (surprised me for my 40th bday) so she got to do swimming lessons with Gabe and I watched.  It was great, but one of the things that I'm concerned about with Gabe's large size actually happened during the lesson - I fear that because he's a big guy, people will mistake his age and expect things from him that he's not capable of yet.  The instructor (a sub for this class) tried to use him for a demo and just started talking to him and asking him to do things and then looked really confused when he clearly didn't comprehend what she was asking.  I had to butt in and say "He's only 11 months, so he might not understand what you're asking him to do."  She looked shocked, and quickly handed him back.  I fear this is the beginning of a long road for this kid.  Ah well, we all have our "Stuff" that makes our experiences unique.

I am SO looking forward to simply getting out of the house.  Period.  We've been cooped up for so long and all I want to do is just take a damn walk.  We have a small yard and I'm excited to spend some time outside as a family.  I saw a play house on sale at a local store, and I got the go-ahead to grab it as Gabe's birthday gift.  Since he LOVES doors, I think he'll have a lot of fun this Spring/Summer going in and out of it.  I'm sure the dog will dig it too.  :)

@Sarahtrpt - welcome to the Parenting board! 

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    @sarahtrpt- Welcome and congrats again on the arrival of your daughter!! Our midwife recommended cabbage leaves. I bought a red cabbage and took a couple of leaves and placed one over each breast.  AMAZING feeling, the swelling and aching went away almost immediately. This type of cooling can somewhat dampen supply I believe, but if you have an abundance now I wouldn't worry about it (feel free to check with your LC/etc.)  I don't think it altered my supply and the cabbage leaves brought much needed relief.

We've had a great week.  Our various remedies have helped alleviate Kaden's eczema. I also figured out that he'd been eating strawberries everyday and as soon as we stopped those this flair ups stopped.  Alas no strawberries for our little guy.

Our biggest challenge has been that he is throwing everything.  We bought small wooden blocks this weekend and he threw them everywhere, I'm worried about him hurting himself, us or breaking something. Once Owen arrives I'll be super worried!!  Anyone know any techniques to get a toddler not to throw things? 

EV watched Kaden both Saturday and Sunday and they had such a blast together. I love it when they get alone bonding/play time. I swear EV is Kaden's favorite person.  He just adores her - its soooo cute!!

QOTD:  Anything outdoors, swimming, walking, the beach, playgrounds.  Even playing in the backyard.  I miss the sun.  It's been raining or overcast for a couple of weeks now. We need the rain so I try to focus on that....  I can't wait for Spring though. I try not to complain though since I grew up on the East Coast and remember all to well the snowy winter blues.
  • Options
    ATXmommasATXmommas member
    edited March 2014
    @herbabymama - your story about K reminds me of a story my cousin told me. When she was on maternity leave with her first, her husband asked her what she did all day. Her response, "Oh, I don't know - keep this baby alive!" It's definitely a full time task! And I'm still asleep by 8:00-8:30 even though I'm back working. That might not work forever, but it is right now.
  • Options
    JGYJGY member

@stringy813 I wrote a whole response and the TB ate it.  Argh.  Thank you for sharing what you've been trying with M.  I'm going to chat with S tonight and see if we can give some of that a shot as well.  I'll PM you with some other details of why our situation gets really complicated.

G does often sit in his crib and cry with his eyes closed.  S asks "Is he even awake?"  He doesn't wake up screaming, as you described with M, but it doesn't take long for him to get really worked up.  Our bedrooms are connected by french doors.  I am tuned in to head in and get him at the slightest peep that sounds like it's actually leading to something (in other words I don't let him cry very long).  I go in there, pick him up, and carry him back to our bed to nurse.  In the time it takes for me to do that, and at this point he HAS to know where we're going and what's about to happen, he gets himself worked up into a full on cry.  I don't understand it.

@herbabymama I'm so sorry that you and K had that interaction.  You know it's funny, even I sometimes question how hard it is to be at home with a little one.  I sit here at work and think "Oh if only I was home with G, I'd be able to xyz done."  Really JGY?  Then why don't any of those things get done when we're ALL home every evening?  Oh right, because keeping the little bugger alive is really about the best I can do most days and that's when he's cooperative!  And yes, breastfeeding can EASILY take up half of the waking hours.  I remember.  No worries, you're right that K will know exactly what's going on when she's the SAHP soon.  (Not that she was mean spirited with her comment, just that it's easy to forget how the days actually go when you're not doing it at the moment)

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    @herbabymomma, that's a great idea! I am going to do that tonight!

• Options
    JGYJGY member

@stringy813 I was reading a little bit about night terrors, seems like the right time for that for our kiddos.  Do you think that's what's going on with M?

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"