Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Short breastfeeding sessions

There are times when my five week old will only breastfeed for five minutes and even when she feeds for longer it's generally only 10 to 15 minutes...is this ok? I always attempt to get her to continue, but she refuses to latch on again...sometimes refusing to even open her mouth. She is gaining wet and having enough wet and dirty diapers each day according to the doctor...but I'm just concerned because it doesnt seem like she would be able to get very much milk during that short amount of time.

This is my first child so any information would be helpful!

Re: Short breastfeeding sessions

• My son is 10 weeks and is a pretty quick eater as well. Usually max 15 minutes but sometimes only 5. It is my understanding that some babies are just faster than others. I can usually tell that he got quite a good amount because my boob will often be a lot softer after just 5 minutes. But like @Laura8388 said, as long as weight gain is good and lots of dirty diapers, then everything is perfect!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thank you all for the feedback! Although she eats for only a short amount of time, she does eat frequently (every 2 hours). I am hoping she will soon be able to go longer between feedings (especially as she starts at child care in a few weeks). I will say that my breasts definitely feel softer after she eats, so I suppose that's a good sign as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Agreed with PP. If she's gaining well and has appropriate output, it's fine. 

DS was like this and now DD is showing the same tendencies.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• rgoblue said:

Ditto everyone above! My LO is 3 1/2 weeks old and is a very efficient nurser. She usually takes only one side per feeding and typically only goes 5-10 minutes. She's been gaining almost a pound a week since birth, so we know she is getting what she needs!

This is me!

• As long as baby is having enough wet/dirty diapers it's totally fine. My first bf'd for seriously.freaking.ever.  Like 45 min-1 hr each feed (every 2-3 hrs) and she was a tiny little thing.  Ok she's still tiny & she's 9 :)  My second would nurse 10-15 min & she was my bigger baby.  I was worried at first, but then I thought it was awesome. Spent MUCH less time sitting feeding #2.  Congratulations!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"