February 2013 Moms
Options

a very late UO

djm31012djm31012 member
edited February 2014 in February 2013 Moms

but really looking for someone to convince me other wise. Ill preface this with, I am not yet TTC, but possibly soon...we are getting ready...

I dont want to BF my next child. I was and still am very PRO BF. I nursed DS for 10 weeks. the first 2 weeks were hard...then it was fine...i didnt love it/hated that i did all the MOTN wake ups/had to sit in the bathroom at restaurants and pump....but I did it. At 8 weeks, i got what i thought was a clogged duct turned mastitis. After 3 drs visits and 3 failed attempts with an antibiotic, i walked myself into the ER, and found out I had MRSA. I was so angry that everyone kept telling me to "just nurse through it" and even medical professionals didnt say to me..."hey, go to the hospital." I could have died if I let it go any longer. I spent the next month going to a surgeon every single day to get the lump drained, and i stopped nursing right then. DS really thrived on formula, and I was a much happier mama. So i began to see there is nothing wrong with formula---it actually turned out to be better for our family. 

the thing is...I do believe BF is beneficial , mostly for the immunity factor the first few weeks.  however, I dont know if I feel like its always the better option anymore. But now....I feel guilty for thinking that and for considering not doing it next time around. I mean i Have awhile to figure this out.....but just wanted to throw it out there.

for all the mamas who BF for any point in time, short or long, I think its amazing. and for the record would love to have not spent so much money on formula! so glad we are on to milk now!

go ahead and throw your swords now :)

ps--i dont think i would post this on any other board!

ETA: The other thing I never questioned before but now do....could BF really be better if you do not adhere to  a perfect diet? Im probably wrong, so genuinely looking for insight, but if you dont eat completely organic/hormone/gmo free....it cant be better to nurse than give fortified formula that is now filled with many nutrients.  Ok..go....

Re: a very late UO

• Options
    DublinMamaDublinMama member
    edited February 2014
    I wouldn't sweat the swords on this board. A lot of us FF, for a variety of reasons, and no one gives or gets flack for doing it here.

I have mixed feeling about what I'd do for #2. DS had a really hard time nursing, and that coupled with FTM anxiety and stress and I just about fell apart during my BFing days. But I know that my experience with #2 could be totally different and s/he could take right to it. Still, it's hard to reconcile that with how much happier and relaxed I became once I went to formula, and my inclination is obviously to go with what worked for me, not with what didn't. We'll see. I'm not making any choices right now. And I'm not KU or TTC, so luckily I don't have to. :)

Edited for typos.
  • Options

No flames here either.

I only BFed for about 2 months. I had low supply and a hungry hippo on my hands. I was miserable and horribly anxious about it. Stopping was the best choice, but it was also a hard issue for me to get over.

I have an entirely different attitude for when we have #2. I'd like to try BFing again, but I'm giving myself a 2 week span. If I want to stop at that point, for any reason, I'm going to and I'll do so guilt free.

Happy momma = happy baby

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    No flames here either and i bfed! I firmly believe that we all do what is best. I can't believe the problem you had and that no one caught it! I'm so sorry. :)
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    TamaraR4 said:
    No flames here either and i bfed! I firmly believe that we all do what is best. I can't believe the problem you had and that no one caught it! I'm so sorry. :)

needless to say...i have since switched OBs. Which makes me sad bc I had an amazing delivery/stay in the hospital. But I just dont trust him now. And there was no follow up after either, ,which I thought was just bad business?!
  • Options

I FF DS from day 2.  I have a history of anxiety/depression, and my doctors had me wean off medication during my last pregnancy. Once I gave birth I was a MESS, and would bawl everytime I needed to Breastfeed DS (and anytime I had to do anything else).  When I switched to Formula, I felt a huge relief off of my shoulders.  Once I got back on meds I was much better again.

This pregnancy I am on a low dose of my medication, and am hoping that it will give me a better chance with BFing. I really want to try with the new LO, but I won't be beating myself up if I go the FF route!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Drea926Drea926 member
    edited February 2014
    No flames here. I am still BF DD at a little over a year (down to 2 nursing sessions now). I've always been a huge "happy mom, happy baby" kind of person. If you are stressed...your baby is going to feed off of that. The first few weeks of BF I would say "I see how people give this up!!" but I did stick through it but I also did not have half of the problems you did. DD was just slow to gain weight, clogged nipples during engorgement which was not fun...at all, latch difficulty). I will say that looking back, I am so happy I stuck through it. If you are up for giving it a try again, I say go for it! Breastfeeding is best-there is research behind it so I don't agree with your argument of formula being on par with breast milk.

This is not helpful nor is it supportive.

ETA - I take issue with the phrase "breast is best". I get that it's cute and catchy and this is my own bias speaking but the word "best" implies if you not BFing you are feeding your baby something not up to snuff. It adds fuel to the fire IMO.

• Options
    No flames here, and I didn't even use a drop of formula! You have to so what's best for your family and what will make you the best mom you can be. For moms debating whether to try BFing a second, check out the 2/15/14 post of fearlessformulafeeder.com. The contributor talks about how having a more relaxed approach to BFing her second made the whole experience, including supplementing and eventually switching entirely to formula, much more enjoyable for her because there was less pressure.

Regarding the "perfect diet" thing, I feel like it's a matter of degrees. Human milk is easier for a baby to digest than formula. And I am a big believer that in whole foods over processed foods when possible, and that holds true for most conventional produce over organic processed foods. So since human breast milk isn't processed, I'd be inclined to say that even if mom is not eating perfectly in regard to organic/hormones/GMOs, it's still preferable to formula, but in the cases of most of us on this board (i.e. full term babies, access to clean water, and enough income that we don't have to resort to watering down formula), the advantage of breast milk over formula is not worth feeling guilty over. The biggest advantage is over a population level (lower healthcare costs and such because BFing provides some protection against ear infections and gastrointestinal issues) as opposed to the individual level.

And even if you don't eat a balanced diet, this supposedly does not affect te nutritional content of the milk, but it WILL take nutrients away from your body. So opting to FF for that reason is of more direct benefit to mom's health than baby's. But as we've discussed in other threads, mom's wellbeing is important too! So while the ideal would be to eat well and BF, that doesn't mean there's anything inherently wrong with FFing either.

The way I see it, we're all lucky to live in a time and place where we have the option of choosing what's best for our families, regardless of the reason.

• Options

No flames here either.

I only BFed for about 2 months. I had low supply and a hungry hippo on my hands. I was miserable and horribly anxious about it. Stopping was the best choice, but it was also a hard issue for me to get over.

I have an entirely different attitude for when we have #2. I'd like to try BFing again, but I'm giving myself a 2 week span. If I want to stop at that point, for any reason, I'm going to and I'll do so guilt free.

Happy momma = happy baby

Drea, I am totally with you and support your choice, so please don't take this wrong. I would only suggest you give yourself 3-4 weeks instead of 2, because for most women I know who BF, the end of week 2 is the height of difficulty for BF, it seems to start getting easier after that. For OP, you do what's best for you. Happy mama=happy baby. I also have noticed how much happier I am when I reduce of quit nursing. I'm still nursing DD2 at wake up and before bed, but that's it, and I am so much happier in general.

@Teacher Clark - I hear you and I'm not offended. (I know you enough by now!) 2 weeks is kind of an arbitrary time frame I picked. The more important part of my mentality is that I would quit with no guilt if I wanted to.

• Options
    @Puck1182 I think you nailed it. I mentioned in my original post that immunity was the biggest benefit to nursing and I still believe that, hence the reason that as much as i dont want to, I may try to with number 2. I dont believe any of the studies that show higher IQs with BF babies or anything else, but i do believe the antibodies are a big benefit.   altho i have friends who BF while their children were in day care and those kids were just as sick as often as my son was in the beginning....so im not sure!
  • Options
    LOVE your babies, FEED your babies. If you can get your little ones some colostrum to give them a kickstart, AWESOME. If you can get them a few months of breast milk, FABULOUS. If you make it a year or more, WAY TO GO! But if your babies are receiving formula prepared properly with clean water and they are getting sufficient nutrition and they are protected and they are happy and they are cuddled and played with and receive adequate medical care and have shelter and a family that cares and loves them - you are STILL doing it RIGHT. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    @expatmama - My lactation consultant was awesome. But she was the only one the hospital had and was obviously not there 24/7. I got horrible, horrible advice from the maternity nurses, so much so that I contacted the patient representative over it. If I hadn't stuck to my guns and done what my lactation consultant taught me, my supply would probably have been sabotaged from the beginning. Which is why, while I don't fault moms for switching to formula when BFing does work out, I wonder how many of them COULD have BFed longer with better support. I'm very much about supporting every mom's choice of how to feed her baby, but when BFing doesn't work out because medical professionals don't know how to diagnose a tongue or lip tie, or tell moms to wait too long between nursing sessions, or push formula before it's actually necessary, that choice gets taken away. MY choice was nearly taken away, it would have been if I'd listened to those nurses. So I tend to get a little riled up about this issue. :-p

• Options
    Drea out.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    No offense @Puck1182, because I know you didn't coin the phrase, but "Breast is normal?" Am I the only one that thinks that's almost worse than "breast is best?" Biologically or not.  I am good with the slogan "Feeding your baby is normal and best."

This argument is as old as time, but there lots of things I am biologically programmed to do that I wouldn't, but it's certainly not unnatural in my book. I said in a PP from way back that theoretically, women are biologically programmed to have a child every menstrual cycle they aren't KU or nursing heavily. But some women never want kids. I only want two, irregardless of my bodies capabilities. To coin something as normal begs the argument of what's abnormal. Slippery slope.
    Edited for typos.
  • Options
    @djm31012 - Here's the thing, like I said in my response to Drea, even taking into account an established advantage of BFing (the antibodies) that might make it the "optimal" feeding decision from an objective standpoint when you view feeding as an isolated issue, it may not be the best decision for YOUR family. That one advantage may not outweigh the risk of the stress it may cause you. Look at the big picture when you decide. If you think you can take a relaxed approach to BFing and not beat yourself up over it if it doesn't work out, by all means go for it! But if worrying about the potential of clogged ducts and mastitis and MRSA is going to interfere with your ability to bond with a new baby, then the better decision for your family may be to FF from the start. You'll make the decision that is right for you and your family, and screw anyone who tries to tell you otherwise!

• Options
    Apologies for putting on my drama queen crown gals.

This is still a sensitive subject for me. I'm working on it. :-)

• Options
    @DublinMama - I'm on the fence about "best" vs "normal." I mean, it IS biologically normal. Hell, it's what defines us as mammals. I would mostly just like to see the issue not be moralized so much. No slogans, no mommy wars... Just support for whatever we choose. But the problem is that, while more than three quarters of new moms want to BF, less than half are still doing so at six months. Some of that is a genuine inability to make it work, or a deliberate decision to switch to formula because it fits their lifestyle better. But a good number of these moms who stop didn't have adequate support, and THAT is a problem. Whether we choose to BF or FF, that decision should be respected and supported, not just verbally, but in regard to the practical stuff.

Slogans aside, I do think the push to "normalize breastfeeding" is a valuable one. For most of recent history, it WASN'T seen as normal, women who BFed were looked down upon because of it. But I wish it didn't have to be an "us vs them" kind of thing. In my infant feeding utopia, women would be able to BF anywhere without a second glance or FF anywhere without fear of being judged. People would just see moms feeding their babies and not think that they were poisoning their kids OR being exhibitionists. Right now it feels like a total catch 22 - You HAVE to BF your baby, but God forbid anyone have to see you doing it. We just can't win. :-p

• Options
    Drea---no need to be sensisitve because your baby is thriving and loved and happy! I do not feel guilty/bad that I stopped nursing at 2.5 mos. I feel guilty that I have no interest/am scared to nurse number 2. DS is so perfect-there is not one part of me that thinks I did him a disservice by stopping BF when I did.
  • Options
    Drea926 said:

Apologies for putting on my drama queen crown gals.

This is still a sensitive subject for me. I'm working on it. :-)

No problem. In retrospect I realized the last paragraph of my response to you could have been interpreted as me not caring about FFers feelings, when what I meant was that tiptoeing around evidence that breast milk is, to some degree or another, better than formula, shouldn't even be a thing we have to worry about because the whole conversation should be framed in a way that allows us to all feel confident about how we're feeding our kids. Largely because there is a difference between something being "best" in an objective/quantitative/statistical sense, versus what is best in a specific situation, particularly when you look at that one decision in the larger context of parenting as a whole.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Puck1182 said:
    @DublinMama - I'm on the fence about "best" vs "normal." I mean, it IS biologically normal. Hell, it's what defines us as mammals. I would mostly just like to see the issue not be moralized so much. No slogans, no mommy wars... Just support for whatever we choose. But the problem is that, while more than three quarters of new moms want to BF, less than half are still doing so at six months. Some of that is a genuine inability to make it work, or a deliberate decision to switch to formula because it fits their lifestyle better. But a good number of these moms who stop didn't have adequate support, and THAT is a problem. Whether we choose to BF or FF, that decision should be respected and supported, not just verbally, but in regard to the practical stuff. Slogans aside, I do think the push to "normalize breastfeeding" is a valuable one. For most of recent history, it WASN'T seen as normal, women who BFed were looked down upon because of it. But I wish it didn't have to be an "us vs them" kind of thing. In my infant feeding utopia, women would be able to BF anywhere without a second glance or FF anywhere without fear of being judged. People would just see moms feeding their babies and not think that they were poisoning their kids OR being exhibitionists. Right now it feels like a total catch 22 - You HAVE to BF your baby, but God forbid anyone have to see you doing it. We just can't win. :-p
    I agree, especially with the bolded. I just think the slogans in general are superfluous. I've never done anything in my life because of a great catch phrase haha. I wholeheartedly think BFing needs to be normalized, in the sense that mamas should be able to do it freely in any place without worry of "covering up" or being modest. I guess I just don't think "normal," "expected," and "best" are interchangeable vernacular for issues like feeding your baby. Not that you in anyway implied that.
  • Options

I agree, especially with the bolded. I just think the slogans in general are superfluous. I've never done anything in my life because of a great catch phrase haha. I wholeheartedly think BFing needs to be normalized, in the sense that mamas should be able to do it freely in any place without worry of "covering up" or being modest. I guess I just don't think "normal," "expected," and "best" are interchangeable vernacular for issues like feeding your baby. Not that you in anyway implied that.

Exactly. This seems to be a tactic that just preaches to the choir, and seems to mostly be used by people on the extremes of an issue.

I'm actually really loving the partnership I'm seeing emerge between The Leaky Boob and the Fearless Formula Feeder recently. Their audiences are obviously different, but they've both been trying to tone down the heated rhetoric that has been pitting each side against the other and instead put the focus where it should be: providing support and advice for moms who want to do what's best for their kids, and acknowledging that "best" does not look the same for everyone.

• Options

I was curious about the history of the “breast is best” slogan.  I couldn’t find anything, but I’m guessing it was created as a way to encourage women to try breastfeeding by making a catchy slogan, and I’d go further to guess it was at a time when breastfeeding was not as commonplace as it is now.  My mom has told me that “back in her day,” formula was considered the optimal food for babies because it was science-based nutrition.       

In my search, I found an article about how the chair of a breastfeeding advocacy group in the UK wants to scrap the slogan because it implies that breastfeeding is something special, not the norm.   The group in the article takes this to another end, but for me, I think this exceptionalism is exactly the problem.

Because there is this catchy slogan that implies one way of feeding your child is special, it creates this artificial hierarchy of feeding choices.  I know this is a dead horse issue, but it bothers me to see people get upset over loving their children and doing what was best for them in terms of feeding them.  For me, I wish both ways of feeding your child were considered normal – that FF moms didn’t feel any guilt, and that BF moms didn’t feel ostracized.  I’ve nursed DS in an airplane bathroom - absolutely disgusting - but at 11 months, I could feel the eyes of condemnation on me holding the nursing cover (which was useless since he likes to pick my nose whilst eating.)    

For me in the airplane bathroom, for the mom with supply issues holding a bottle – we’re thinking the same thing.  My kid is hungry, just let me feed him.      

• Options
    Sagen said:

Good grief @Puck1182 could you be more eloquent, and dead on?! I am not going to give you any more loves it for a while, lest you start to get a stalker vibe from me. Seriously though, bravo.

Aww geez, Sagen. I'm blushing! Like, for real! I actually just felt my cheeks turn pink when I read that.

• Options
    Ok, I lied. A catch phrase has sold me on something. When Miss Whitney said, "Crack is whack." I knew it wasn't for me. ;)

This is the most important thing that I gleaned from this entire thread. 
    She's a wealth of knowledge, really. This little bit changed my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR7CCQ2QAKE
  • Options
    @katelyn1434 I'm sorry too. Like I mentioned before, the BF thing is still a sore subject with me. I'm confident in my choice now and have come to terms with it, but I still get defensive about it. I know from your other posts that you didn't mean any harm. And I *love* the gif!! Julia Roberts is my girl!

• Options
    Drea926 said:
    @katelyn1434 I'm sorry too. Like I mentioned before, the BF thing is still a sore subject with me. I'm confident in my choice now and have come to terms with it, but I still get defensive about it. I know from your other posts that you didn't mean any harm. And I *love* the gif!! Julia Roberts is my girl!
    I hear you, it's like with anything baby related because of the "mommy wars". We did CIO at 6 months when DD refused to sleep in her crib but was STTN in the RnP and a BF support group I'm in on FB made me feel like I should turn myself into DCF haha.

JR is also a favorite of mine. My grandfather always tells me I look like her but I'm also fairly certain that she is the only actress he actually knows by name-he referred to Justin Beiber as "Jason Beaver" recently haha
    FWIW we sleep trained at 6 months too - best decision I ever made! :P

• Options
    No worries @Puck1182 - I was quick to fire off my responses as well. 

Do you have any cute barrettes? ;-)

• Options
    Puck1182 said:

I just have to say that it makes me super happy that we can have this kind of conversation on this board without it devolving into a flame war, and by page 2 we're pretty much back to hair-braiding. ;-)

And katelyn, in the same post where I basically called you tactless, I managed to accidentally sound like I didn't care whether I hurt the feelings of someone who FFs. So that was kind of hypocritical of me. And actually, Drea, while I clarified myself, I never really apologized so I'd like to do that now. I know what a sensitive subject this is, so normally I try to choose my words very carefully, and I fired that one off without proofreading. My bad. :-(

Agreed. And I love hair-braiding!!

View Full Size Image
    BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

• Options
    Yesssss.
  • Options

Puck1182 said:

I just have to say that it makes me super happy that we can have this kind of conversation on this board without it devolving into a flame war, and by page 2 we're pretty much back to hair-braiding. ;-)

And katelyn, in the same post where I basically called you tactless, I managed to accidentally sound like I didn't care whether I hurt the feelings of someone who FFs. So that was kind of hypocritical of me. And actually, Drea, while I clarified myself, I never really apologized so I'd like to do that now. I know what a sensitive subject this is, so normally I try to choose my words very carefully, and I fired that one off without proofreading. My bad. :-(

Ironically, I actually can't braid hair. :-(

• Options
    Drea926 said:
    I just have to say that it makes me super happy that we can have this kind of conversation on this board without it devolving into a flame war, and by page 2 we're pretty much back to hair-braiding. ;-) And katelyn, in the same post where I basically called you tactless, I managed to accidentally sound like I didn't care whether I hurt the feelings of someone who FFs. So that was kind of hypocritical of me. And actually, Drea, while I clarified myself, I never really apologized so I'd like to do that now. I know what a sensitive subject this is, so normally I try to choose my words very carefully, and I fired that one off without proofreading. My bad. :-(
    Girlfriend, next gtg, I will show you.
  • Options
    Drea926 said:
    I just have to say that it makes me super happy that we can have this kind of conversation on this board without it devolving into a flame war, and by page 2 we're pretty much back to hair-braiding. ;-) And katelyn, in the same post where I basically called you tactless, I managed to accidentally sound like I didn't care whether I hurt the feelings of someone who FFs. So that was kind of hypocritical of me. And actually, Drea, while I clarified myself, I never really apologized so I'd like to do that now. I know what a sensitive subject this is, so normally I try to choose my words very carefully, and I fired that one off without proofreading. My bad. :-(
    I will straight throw your hair into some cornrows whenever we have our girl's beach getaway!

View Full Size Image
    BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

• Options
    This board is so rational...I may have to head back over to Oct14 for some "real" drama.

P.S. Can you tell I learned how to post GIFs today? There is no stopping me now.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    @TarheeMama I have totally tried to learn to cornrow in the past few months for our foster son. I'm not very good at it but in my defense he is wiggly  and I am TRYING :-)

I have gotten a little better since this picture a few months ago but it was the only one on my computer

• Options
    Drea926 said:
    I'm the same way. I once asked on my FB page whether anyone had a RF car seat we could borrow for DD1 while we were in the US visiting, and my cousin (who was pregnant at the time) actually posted that "we survived and our parents didn't RF us" and that she would be concentrating on more important issues like not poisoning infants with formula, tyvm. 

I cannot even begin to describe the rage that set off in me.

But on the topic of BFing 1st and 2nd children - with DD1 I had an awful experience and an incredibly low supply. I attributed it to a number of factors like a preemie c/s, her being in the NICU for 2.5 weeks, me only being able to pump, being sick from the HELLP, etc, etc. I pumped for 9 weeks with a lot of tears and a lot of stress before I threw in the towel because I was only getting 4 oz total over the course of 6 pumping sessions / day (so less than 1 oz per 20 min session). My breasts had bruises all over them from me literally trying to press and squeeze every drop out (when my MW saw that she freaked out a little and told me to stop). It was awful. I hoped it would go better with DD2, and when she latched right away after the c/s, I thought we were in for a better experience. We weren't. I still had horribly low supply and she stopped latching well after the first day. I pumped for 3 weeks then stopped, this time with no guilt.

My advice is to go ahead and give it a try, but if you see it's not working for you again, then stop. Also, for some who were saying that nursing leaves them with the nights and that's one of the reasons it's awful, remember that you can always do some BM and some FF - no one says it has to be 100% one or the other.  

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    I know I'm late to the party, but breastfeeding DD was not a great experience for me. We had a lot of struggles and I just didn't like it most of the time. I go back and forth between trying to BF the next baby or FF'ing from the beginning. Honestly, the main reasons I would even consider BF'ing again are selfish- the financial aspect, and quicker weight loss.

If I do BF again, I will be supplementing with formula from the beginning to reduce the chances of bottle/formula refusal, because that is the one thing I just cannot go through again. That was by far the most stressful issue we had with DD. I am also planning to completely wean by 6 months with the next one (obviously I could change my mind depending on how things are going, but that's how I feel right now).
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"