Two Under 2
Options

Ppls reaction to baby #2

Has anyone noticed you don't get quite the same reaction of excitement when you tell ppl you are expecting#2??? DD will be 18 months when LO is born and when I tell ppl I am preggo they say"are you nuts?!?" It seems that no one thinks I'm up for the challenge. Granted I'm a little nervous about having 2 under 2 but I'm also very excited!! Anyone else getting mixed reactions to the news????

Re: Ppls reaction to baby #2

• Options
    bookworm982bookworm982 member
    edited February 2014
    We were fortunate that we got amazing reactions from our moms and my FIL. Those were the most important people for us, so that helped. Everyone else had varying levels of reactions. I actually appreciated that people worried about me having two babies so close since I took it as a sign of their love. It helps that dh is a twin and I have an adopted sister my age, so our families are used to two close together.

I think the comments that bug me more are the random strangers, but DH and I have made a game of coming up with fun replies. At the end of the day we are happy with our family, and that is all that matters. :)
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • Options
    Definitely less excited. Frankly, though, I don't care. Ours will be 22 mos apart. I'm amazed at how many people ask if this was planned. Um, yeah, but I'm not really sure how that's anyone's business.

Anyway, we were excited, and that's all that matters.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, definitely.  My dad said "so are you guys going to just keep having them?" 

But everyone was supportive and excited.  Just surprised that we were having another so soon.  
  • Options
    Same here.  Ours wasn't planned but it doesn't mean he's unwanted.  We'll take this blessing...it was going to happen sooner or later...no regrets!  They'll be 15 months apart.

imageimageimage VOTE on my Name List     
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly, everyone was so excited about our first and everything she did.  #2 gets way less attention. I think it just is what it is.  Everyone was excited for us having #2 and #3 but overall, the new baby excitement has died WAY down.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    My 2 were just shy of a year apart. My mom was super excited when I told her, but everyone else had some smartass comment about how I would have my hands full or ask if we were actually trying for it (we weren't, but that is none of anyone's gd business.) 

Moral of the story don't let people get you down. YOU are happy and really that is all that matters.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yes. Mine wil be 18 months apart and DH's family made/still make negative comments. We also get the "were you trying" question from strangers. It's frustrating but I try to not let it bother me. We are happy with our growing family and that is all that matters.
  • Options
    Mine will be 20 months apart. My family is really excited, and so are my IL's but I can tell they were a little surprised. My sister and I are 18 months apart, so my parents are used to it. DH and my SIL are 3 years apart, so they are used to a little bit of a bigger age gap. My FIL just kept saying "You are going to have 2 in diapers!" Yeah, I know..

When I went for my first OB appointment, the nurse was telling me that she went to get my chart and another nurse said "No, that can't be right, she is not an OB patient, she just had a baby!" DD was 13 months old at that point, so not really...

• Options
    Harveys11Harveys11 member
    edited February 2014
  • Options
    We haven't told family yet, but I expect nothing but excitement. It's probably because we've had a baby EXPLOSION on both sides of the family in the past 4 years. As in, I have TEN new nieces and nephews in 4 years. Of these, no siblings are more than 26 months apart. So, no one will be surprised that ours will be 22 months apart.
    DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    daisy662daisy662 member
    edited March 2014
    My kids are 17 months apart. No one gave us a hard Tim about it likely because we made it known that it was our intent to have them close together before I got pregnant. There was definitely less excitement about my 2nd though. I think that's normal. I just can't imagine anyone making negative comments. I think I would have no problem telling them it was none of their business if they did. And, asking if the pregnancy was planned? That is beyond tacky.
  • Options
    mek20mek20 member
    edited March 2014
    I definitely got mixed reactions from family. We are young (23 and 26) and we will have our babies 13 months apart. While they were excited, using that term loosely, they asked a lot more questions about logistics. 

Even still, at 25 weeks pregnant, our families only refer to our DS. For example, we are talking about moving soon after this baby is born, and my mom said "You can't take my baby boy away" meaning DS. Kind of makes me upset....
    Married 6.23.12
    Baby #1 5.10.13
    Baby #2 6.9.14
    Baby #3 EDD 10.1.15
    Life is good :)

• Options
    My mom was beyond excited.. Few if my co workers were .. I was lucky to get a congrats from anyone else
  • Options
    My favourite was from my FIL. I guess considering we had a loss with our first, then DS came and now this one, his summation was that I had been "pregnant for 3 years in a row!" At work, one guy asked me if we planned it so I could go back on maternity leave (as in, I just got back from mat leave 3 weeks ago-oops). Other than those two questions that caught me off guard, mostly everyone was very happy and surprised. A few "are you nuts?" Or "you are brave" comments.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We were lucky to get all positive reactions to our 2nd pregnancy.. sure, a some would say "are you crazy!" or "you are gonna be busy!!".. but, it was still coupled with excitement and congratulations for us...

Now.. we've not told many about #3 yet.. just some family.. and, to be quite honest the reaction has not been great at all.  My Mom didn't even say congratulations.  She just said "I can't believe you are pregnant again"  Whatever.

I think you just take it all with a grain of salt.. the thing is.. people can't help but superimpose themselves into your shoes.. hence the "are you crazy" comments and such.. people are trying to imagine how they'd feel if it were them.. 2U2 has it's challenges, but it also depends on the children, the parents, your STYLE, etc.. if you're super organized, and good at multitasking and have the ability to tune out some whining and crying from time to time.. it's really NBD.  It's just like doing everything on repeat!! Or, at least that has been our experience so far..
    Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • Options
    Our kids are 21 1/2 months apart. My MIL said, "Are you crazy!? Two kids in diapers?!!" I wasn't impressed with her reaction.  It took us two years to conceive our first so we were surprised when we got pregnant after two months of no protection with our 2nd. 
    TTC since June/09.
    1st cycle diagnosed with slight hypothyroidism. Clomid, dexamethasone, HCG trigger shot. BFN
    2nd cycle, Clomid, dexamethasone, HCG trigger shot. BFN
    3rd cycle, Clomid, dexamethasone, ovulated with out tigger. BFN
    4th cycle, Clomid, dexamethasone, HCG trigger shot. BFP!!!
    EDD 12/31/2011 ----- actual birthday 01/05/2012

Surprise BFP! - EDD 10/14/2013

Our little boy is on the way!

Lilypie - (Qxvc)

View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (BW9K)

• Options
    My in-laws are just as thrilled about DS2 as they were about DS1, who are their 3rd and 4th grandchildren. My mother is funny - she was resistant with my first because she was "two young," (she's not - I'm 30) but is now completely obsessed with him. He's her only grandchild, and the center of her universe, so I just keep telling myself she'll have the same reversal when DS2 arrives. She seems to think that DS1 is hers, so it's fine if I want to have another one for myself, but not all that relevant to her.

Strangers and coworkers are weird. "What did your husband say?" seemed like the oddest wording to me. You mean three years ago when we started talking about having children and decided we wanted them close together, or when I got to tell him we were expecting after just two months of trying this time? Cause I hate to disappoint, but this was no shocking surprise. I mean, he did go to Catholic school, but they still had sex ed and stuff...
    My Big Boy - Felix - was born August 2012
    My Little Boy - Calvin - is due April 2014
  • Options
    We wanted them 18 months apart and planned both pregnancies. Well... number 2 is coming at 17 months, so he's a little early, but still - he was wanted. Everyone was less enthusiastic and that dropped to "eh" levels when they found out it was another boy (which we also wanted). Now that I'm heading into my third trimester, the excitement level has risen a little bit, though.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"