July 2014 Moms

Anatomy Scan at 16 weeks?

Is that too early for gender prediction? They said Girl , how accurate is it. Should I wait for my 20 week scan to be sure?

Re: Anatomy Scan at 16 weeks?

• did they actually do the anatomy scan at 16 weeks or they just did an ultrasound and gave you a guess? 
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Loading the player...
  • They did an anatomy scan at 16 weeks and said it's a girl all is well but they called me again at 20 weeks . That's very normal in New York. Just not sure how accurate they are with gender in 16 weeks
  • I was going to say most wait until at least 18 weeks for an anatomy scan.
    Chase Alexander 12-11-01
    Sierra Nicole 6-15-05
    Avery Lyn 8-2-12
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hmm Thanks Ladies .. She seemed pretty confidant it was a girl!! My gut said a boy!! Anyways I have the second test this Friday to confirm. Just curious if anyone else had their doubts ;)
  • FriskypuppysFriskypuppys member
    edited February 2014
    I had the extra special ultrasound due to my age (so they were looking for down syndrome) and the fact that I found out I was fifteen weeks pregnant two weeks ago...mine was very obviously a boy and I was at 15 weeks according to their measurements.  So it could be pretty accurate.
  • Natsahni said:
    They did an anatomy scan at 16 weeks and said it's a girl all is well but they called me again at 20 weeks . That's very normal in New York. Just not sure how accurate they are with gender in 16 weeks
    i live in the metro area in NJ.. i haven't heard of that being a thing but i think it also depends on age? my doctor said she wouldn't do an A/S until at least 20 weeks... either way i would wait til the 20 week mark just to be on the safe side! best of luck!
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Friskypuppys - Thanks good to know:)
  • Gender can be detected beginning at 16 weeks. We had our ultrasound at 16 weeks and it is very obvious it is a boy. Many insurances make you wait till the 20th week to find out when the doctor does the anatomy scan :-)
  • edited February 2014
    I had an ultrasound today at 15 weeks and my doc was very confident it was a girl. It wasn't an anatomy scan just a regular visit but he said he could check between the legs. I also had an ultrasound at 12 weeks and a different person a tech said girl too. I think it depends on the experience if the tech. But boys are way easier to detect IMO.
  • I had an u/s at 14 weeks and tech told us then it was 100% girl. Just depends on position and how much they want to show!
  • K good to know
  • I had an anatomy scan at 16 weeks , and they measured everything. It was not an ultra sound. Ultra sounds are conducted by the doctor in their practice . For anatomy scans and other test you go to imaging centers. I am not sure how it works in other states , but I have asked around and it seems pretty normal here to have 2 anatomy scans
  • Yes , pretty much. Have asked friends around and they seem to have the same experience. It's my first so it's all new to me .
  • edited February 2014
    Natsahni said:

I had an anatomy scan at 16 weeks , and they measured everything. It was not an ultra sound. Ultra sounds are conducted by the doctor in their practice . For anatomy scans and other test you go to imaging centers. I am not sure how it works in other states , but I have asked around and it seems pretty normal here to have 2 anatomy scans

Strange. I'm from "around here" and the NT scan (at 16 weeks) is done at a facility, and the anatomy scan is done at 20 weeks at the doctor's office.

Me thinks you have this confused. Just like gender.

ETA: realized I screwed up my dates. Not editing, just confessing. ;)

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Did my NT scan , followed by blood test. This was anatomy scan!! As the report says that. May be it depends on docs , they all have different approaches . I guess!! But my friends had the same experience
  • To answer your question about the sex of your baby. Yes, at the right angle, you can correctly see the sex of the baby. However the margin for error is much higher. My cousin was incorrectly told at 17 weeks.

Did you get a toilet cam shot of the genitals?

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • This is what I got
  • Yes , I am aware of that . I had the NT scan and then I had the anatomy in my 16 th week , which measured all body parts. I will wait for the second anatomy scan:) thanks
  • edited February 2014
    Honestly, it's easier for the tech to see in the moment tan to capture an image. I'll grab my cousin's 17 week misread baby girl too.

• I won't be surprised :) !! But since it's my first no one I didn't know any better. Asked my friends they seemed to go through the same thing . Oo well!!
  • I thought the NT scan had to be between 11 and 13.9 weeks? That's what my office said. If you hit 14 weeks you'd be too far along. I went at 12 weeks and I'm glad I did because baby measured 8 days ahead.

MOST anatomy scans occur between 18 and 22 weeks. My office would laugh if I wanted to do it at 16 weeks and wouldn't write the script. An ultrasound at 16 weeks sounds normal. I called to schedule our anatomy scan and the receptionist asked if I could come at 19+ weeks since that's even better. My DH works swing shift so we need to go at 18w3d.

Hopefully they can tell us the SEX Friday.
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• Yes I think the other posts created confusion!! I had my NT scan in the 12th week. Then I had my anatomy in the 16th week and now I have another anatomy in the 20th week. It all seems fine. I was just confused if it was to early to figure out the sex. They said it was a girl and seemed pretty confident . That's all
  • This is mine from DD.  The tech turned on the detector of the cord, so we could see blood in the cord versus parts. 

Well, if we decide to stay team green, I'm pretty sure we could get a straight on shot of the privates and I'd be completely ignorant to what it is. I can't tell that from an arm lol. I wouldn't make it as a tech I guess.
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• Here's my cousin's daughter at 17 weeks misread by the tech "with 100% accuracy for 13 years" as a boy. 

• i had an early partial a/s at 16 weeks due to some medical conditions. I will still be having a full a/s at 20 weeks though because as previous posters stated they simply can't see certain parts needed to do a full a/s at 16 weeks.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"