January 2014 Moms
Options

milk allergy moms

I've seen a handful of mom's dealing with milk protein allergies and wanted to offer some suggestions.  I went through milk and soy protein allergies with my oldest and I'm pretty sure it exacerbated my post partum depression, and if hate to see anyone struggle like that.

First, there is a weekly mspi check in on the breast feeding board, I suggest checking it out.  

Second, if you've stopped dairy but still have issues, I recommend cutting soy as well, it's common for LOs to react to both.  The problem is that soy is often a substitute for dairy, so it definitely ads a level of complication to finding food to eat.

Third, it takes about a week and a half for the proteins to leave your system, and another week and a half for them to leave LOs system, so while you might see some improvement quickly, don't fret if there are still some issues those first weeks.

Now, as for what you can eat.  Learn what hidden dairy and hidden soy can be labeled as.  There are several sites dedicated to dairy (and soy) free eating, so use Google.  You can find recipes and such that can help.  And feel free to add comments with links here.  If this post is useful, we can add a link to the FAQ post. Also, butter is usually tolerated since most of the proteins have been processed out.

Some of what I found to eat:

Kroger tortillas
Hummus
Plain tortilla chips
Salsa and guac
Amy's brand burritos (there are some dairy & soy free, and they are labeled so)
Larabars
Oreos
Potato bread (I don't remember the brand)
Oatmeal
Rice milk
Regular prego sauce

Some of my typical meals:
Egg salad or chicken salad sandwiches
Pasta with prego
Salads with oil and vinegar ( watch salad dressings)
Tacos
Baked chicken

And I found these places listed allergens online that were trustworthy:
Jason's deli
Chipotle
Firehouse subs

Taco bell has them listed, but dd1 still reacted to their supposed "safe" foods.

Also, breads were hard for me.  Check if you have a local bakery, a great harvest bread company, or it also appears the breads from bountiful baskets are usually dairy and soy free.

It's hard at first as you learn what you can east and LO is struggling, but it gets easier!!!  Hang in there mamas!  And please, ask questions if needed, don't just struggle through it!  Good luck!

Re: milk allergy moms

• Options
    Thank you! I'm super excited to see Oreos on that list :D
          Fell in love: Dec 2005 // Married: Feb 9, 2013

Little Miss Rosalie Harper--Born Jan 9th, 2014
  • Options
    You've read my mind. We should do a weekly check in here. DD broke out in a rash from the soy formula, so I have to ( want to) nurse her again and I cut out all dairy and now soy from my diet. I'll paste a few resources I found.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am going through MSPI for the second time.  DD had it and she ended up on medical formula because even though the elimination diet helped a lot there were clearly other allergy issues contributing to a few not so pleasant GI issues.  DS2 is almost 100% better after 2 weeks dairy and soy free. 

A few hidden dairy/soy things to look out for:
    --Many brands of ibuprofen contain dairy
    --If you take probiotics, they also often have dairy in them.
    --A lot of oils labeled as vegetable oil contain soybean oil.
    --Most babies will tolerate soy lecithin

A few products I have found that are MSPI friendly:
    --Enjoy Life! brand chocolate chips
    --So Delicious coconut creamer
    --Kirkland brand marinara sauce
    --Amy's refried beans
    --Most of the Muir Glen pasta sauces

If you are an oatmeal eater and like milk in your oatmeal to cool it down, try replacing the milk with applesauce.  I have been eating oatmeal with applesauce, almonds, and dried cranberries for breakfast and it is amazing. 

If you have a bread machine, there are tons of dairy free bread recipes out there.  Unfortunately I have yet to find a good dairy free whole wheat bread recipe.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Options
    Thanks for posting!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @AmyLou333 - MSPI Mama Monday?!? We can chronicle our struggles, victories, stresses and Aha! moments. I'll need to vent, that's for sure!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what I can/can't eat, but I just want to add that I tried those Enjoy Life chocolate chips and they're good!

Also, i love the idea of a check in!

@littlemommabluehen do you use the oatmeal in place of water then too? How do you cook it?
  • Options
    What would I be looking for with a milk allergy? Vs. oversupply?
  • Options
    @sarahmarie2 I just cook it in water. 

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Options

Elsutto2 I love your siggy pic with the dogs. Beautiful! =D>

Thank you!

:\">
          Fell in love: Dec 2005 // Married: Feb 9, 2013

Little Miss Rosalie Harper--Born Jan 9th, 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"