June 2014 Moms
Options

Shopping! Baby clothes/sizes

FTM going baby clothes shopping today! There's a lot of sales for winter stuff, contemplating 6 months or 9 months. Have you bought anything for your little one... Thinking of heading to the baby gap. What's your favorite store, and what have you bought already??
View Full Size Image

Re: Shopping! Baby clothes/sizes

• Options
    I love shopping at old navy and just went to jcp yesterday. We bought some newborn to 12 month and plan on garage sale-ing this summer.
  • Options
    I shopped ahead of time with DS and half of what I bought worked out. It honestly depends on the brands since they all run kind of differently. I had some Halloween stuff I bought last March, some of it fit in September, while other stuff wouldn't fit until after Halloween. Either way, it's worth it since you're paying between 50-75% off. We mainly shop at Target, BRU, TCP, and Old Navy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    C went through sizes quickly, so I never really bought ahead with her. I am leery of doing it with Charlie for the same reason. My friends daughter was always way behind in sizes, so she had a similar problem. I'd buy a few things but not go overboard. Once you figure out your little ones pattern it will be much easier.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    I've been buying ahead anywhere from 3 mos to 3T when I find a good deal. I live in Southern Florida though so it's a little different. We can wear summer clothes year round. If we are going to get some cold weather then I'll just get those things when we cross that bridge. 90% of the time we wear summer clothes. 

DX PCOS June 2011, SA: low volume and concentration, 2% morph
    June 2011 Clomid 50 mg + metformin 500 mg = BFN
    August 2011 Clomid 100mg + metformin 500 mg = BFN
    October 2011 Clomid 100mg + metformin 500 mg = no response
    January 2012- Clomid 150mg + metforming 750 mg ER + trigger + IUI #1 = Cancelled due to poor response. 
    February 2012 - cancelled due to finaances
    April 2012 - Jumped ship to a new RE 
    May 2012 - New round of testing
    June 2012 - starting supplements, saving for IVF
    June 2013 - ready to start IVF, one more SA - all clear! Dr. Suggest starting with 50mg Clomid and Ovidrel instead. Have to resolve thryoid issues first. 
    August 2013 - 50 mg. Clomid + Ovidrel = BFN
    September 2013 - 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel = BFP on Oct. 7th!
    10.8.13 = 1st Beta 199
    10.10.13 = 2nd Beta 502
    10.14.13 = 3rd Beta 3,998
    11.4.13 = 1 little bean measuring right on track with a heartbeat of 174!
    12.2.13 = Genetic testing normal, It's a BOY!
    6.10.14 Our sweet baby boy is born at 1:43 pm - 8lbs, 8oz, 21" long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    FTM too (congrats!) I cant stop buying clothes, and Ive received tons of stuff from family/friends. I haven't bought anything less than 6 months because I figure Ill get tons of newborn and 0-3 at the shower.  Plus all the winter stuff here is on sale too so i've been stocking up. I bought some winter clothes presents around the holidays for friends babies and it gets expensive, so yeah take advantage! Mostly Babies R Us and Target here.

• Options
    The last Saturday of the month is 50% off at our local thrift store and I went ahead and bought several things last month. We got like 7 outfits for 10 dollars and some of them were new with tags! 

Also, I did go ahead and get some stuff at JCP the other day on winter sale in 6-9 month size because I couldn't pass up outerwear and things for 4 dollars that were normally 30 or 40. If he never wears them, I won't even care because they were so cheap and we can donate them. 
    Me-27 DH-30
    TTC since 7/2010 with PCOS
    MMC 6/13 at 9 weeks
    BFP 10/13!

Little A was born at 36 weeks on 5/23/14!

• Options
    I've never bought ahead because you really have no idea how your kid would grow - and you'll likely end up with some sizes that fit in the wrong season which saves you no money ;)
  • Options
    I'm buying 3 month-9 month right now. I'm just going to get a couple of outfits and some basic onesies in newborn size, seeing as a lot of newborns apparently are already too big at birth. If he's a little guy I figure we can always run out and grab more stuff as needed.

• Options
    I still have to go thru all DDs old clothes, but did purchase some 0-3 and 3-6 from babyGap during a good sale...

Having all of my babies June thru early July I feel pretty confident buying ahead ( I.e. Baby snowsuit, any good sales on winter items) my kids like myself and DH are tall and are 75-80% on weight and 90-95% on height

#1 DD June 2009
    #2 DS July 2011
    #3 DD June
    CP December 2015
    M/C 8/2016
    Rainbow & Babe #4 EDD 7.28.18

• Options
    For me I try to get stuff on sale and go a size up if I need to with my daughter. For the baby I will by a few things new but hope to go to a couple used baby stores and get some stuff. It also depeands on the brand name of clothes on what size I will get.
  • Options
    I typically buy dd's clothes at target or h&m because they are well priced. I will do absolutely no shopping for this lo since I have saved all dd's clothes!
  • Options
    I've been buying 3, 6 and 9 month stuff. We live in New England with cold winters, so most of the stuff is long sleeved, warm stuff. I figure even if she grows through it fast (which I don't think she will. We're both short.) she will be in winter stuff for awhile. 

I have only bought a few things brand new and they were on clearance for really cheap. Everything else is from consignment/thrift stores. I refuse to buy brand new expensive clothes for a baby.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Emery Elizabeth
    Due Date: June 5, 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I go to target or bru. Carter's is having a sale online and in stores through tomorrow; 50% off everything and then 25% more off a purchase of at least $50 with the code PRESDAY.

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    But ditto PP; you will get a lot of stuff at your shower. You could always shop for stuff like blankets and swaddlers, though.

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    Verrrrry few of our clothes were bought new. Babies wear clothes for such a short time and and the use ones are often in near-new condition. I'll spend more on new clothes when she reached an age where she'll Weald them longer, ie growth slows.

• Options
    I'm waiting until after my shower to do any more baby shopping.  Most of the showers I've been to have been almost exclusively clothes because that's the type of stuff people can 'ooh and ahh' over, so I really don't want to load up on a bunch of clothes and then get even more clothes at my shower.
  • Options
    MIL bought a bunch for our baby girl yesterday... Such a nice surprise. She's our second girl, but the opposite season of DD. We're pretty much just getting a few newborn and mostly 3m (0-3 mo) clothes until we see how she grows.

DS was always at least one size ahead and grew like crazy. I never dared to buy ahead for him. DD was always a size behind or on the right size for longer than indicated because she grew a lot slower. At least we got our money's worth with her! I do but ahead for her. It's a lot easier once they hit the 6 month gaps (6-12, 12-18, etc) and 2T, etc. because they're likely to be in them longer.
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

• Options
    I'm tempted to buy more clothes or things like blankets and swaddlers but I have no idea how many/much we will actually need/use. Like, how many swaddlers do you need to have on hand? Onesies? Blankets?

image        image

• Options
    Macys is having a crazy 50% off sale now here. I just snatched snow suits for $4 and nautica dressier outfit for $7. Last time I forgot that even though it summer the LO needs long sleeves. I'm STM though and don't expect the ftm shower hoopla
    (Bummer)
  • Options
    lest12 said:

I'm tempted to buy more clothes or things like blankets and swaddlers but I have no idea how many/much we will actually need/use. Like, how many swaddlers do you need to have on hand? Onesies? Blankets?

---

For the 0-3 size, I have around 40 onesies and 15-20 sleepers. About 16 thin blankets. I've never had a baby and don't know if that's too many, but we've spent less than $10 on it all. I'm options for not having to do laundry quite so often.

In the larger sizes, we have about 30-50 pieces per size right now.

• Options
    I meant to say on my earlier post that Carter's doesn't have a limited return period, save receipts and you can always return!
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

• Options
    I've picked up a few special pieces if they are the right price. I loved smocked stuff and certain brands so if I see something that I think will work based on my experience with my first two then I grab it. I don't pick up sleepers/onsies basics and mostly buy at yard sales, my consignment shop and ebay. Some of the stuff is so cheap (esp yard sales). I can always resell at my consignment shop and make money if it doesn't work out. Usually it does, and dd has actually worn some of the same clothes for a few summers/winters because she is so skinny.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • Options
    wtfisup said:
    --- For the 0-3 size, I have around 40 onesies and 15-20 sleepers. About 16 thin blankets. I've never had a baby and don't know if that's too many, but we've spent less than $10 on it all. I'm options for not having to do laundry quite so often. In the larger sizes, we have about 30-50 pieces per size right now.

Thanks! It's nice to get an idea of what to have on hand. I have nothing now, other than a few things in misc sizes that my mother/sister/grandmother bought because they were cute.

image        image

• Options
    A friend said to plan for 2-3 outfits per day plus PJs. Then decide the laundry situation.

They can also wear shirts longer than onesies; shirts just slip up more.

And keep in mind that the sizes are kind of unstandardized, like our own.

• Options

When I shopped ahead for DD it doesn't work out half the time. Certain brands work, others dont'. DD is longer and skinnier...anything gymboree is tough because they're stuff runs short and wide. Gap works well for her because it runs long..ON I find is all over the place. Some stuff runs big, some stuff runs short and its good for daycare clothes but doesn't wash well.

I do find myself sticking to name brands once you learn how they run.

buzzfeed had a good article entitled 23 incredibly helpful diagrams for moms to be that had great sizing charts..but until you know if you kiddo is going to be sshort and chunky or vice versa..it's tough

• Options

when DD was young...8 wks and under..she lived in a onesie and sleepers. I found little outfits in NB and 0-3 went to waste or were worn once. We stayed home a lot and I didn't have reason to put her in these multiple pieced outfits that made diaper changes hard etc.

I think I had 10-15 onesies and maybe 10 sleepers in 0-3 and that was way more than I needed. I only bought 2 swaddlemes, which she hated and got no use, and had a&A swaddle blankets which were used as receiving blankets etc..

• Options
    @lest12 if you plan on nursing plan in having about 4-5 outfits per day for LO. With my youngest dd she would have a blow out just about every diaper change the first couple months. Not to mention she loved spitting up on herself.

As for me I have a lot of nb and 0/3 month cloths so I'll start shopping for bigger sizes. I usually think of the season say winter. He would be about 5-6 months when it gets really cold so I'll look for a few things that are 6-9 and more 9-12m. But there again my dh and I are very small people. He's 5'4" and petite and I'm 5'3" with a slim build. So our babies are small.
  • Options

Thanks for the tips, ladies!  Much appreciated.

I guess I will wait until after my shower to see where I stand.

image        image

• Options
    LegalLadyBugLegalLadyBug member
    edited February 2014
    I bought 9ms in the few winter things I bought so far. When DD was born she was 8lbs 5.5oz and 21" long, already too big for any newborn items. Since she was so long, and continues to be over the 100th percentile for height, I always have to size up for length. She was in 9 months at only 6 months old. It's so hard to judge sizing, I have no idea how people buy so much ahead of time. I'm guessing these twins will be able to wear 0-3 as they should be smaller at birth. But even as a STM I find myself struggling with sizes for them, even in summer items.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary
  • Options
    I have bought stuff basically try to size as my older kids pretty much fit whatever age the clothing states it is for.  My kids are skinny to average and fit the clothes for most of the season.  I have bought 6-9 month clothing for winter stuff.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers mc #1 2/17/06 mc#2 8/3/06 mc #3 9/7/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"