July 2013 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    valstulas said:
    I think the circus is cruel and I refuse to take my children to it. My kids are always disappointed that they don't get to go when it's in town, but oh, well. They'll live.
    Couldn't agree more on this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @JStahl678 I can't drink that much caffeine either. I can drink 2 cups out of my Keurig but I can't drink a small cup from Starbucks. Makes me sick.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Asbromle said:
    @sdtchica13 he chases me around and spurs me. He's made me bleed on several occasions and he's not even a regular sized chicken. He's a banni chicken which means he's half the size. He chased me to my car once and tried to get inside with me in order to continue his attack. He's a very beautiful chicken but he's so damn mean. FYI banni chicken eggs make the best hardboiled eggs ever because you can just stick the whole thing in your mouth.
    @Asbromle, that chicken is an asshole, lol! He is definitely a mean chicken!
  • Options
    @mainerocks I hate UGGs also, except not because they are ugly - I love cozy boots - but because I read somewhere a little while back that they have horrible practices in regards to animal rights. They raise their sheep the have such thick wool many of them cannot even walk, they are then skinned basically alive, and the rest of the sheep is thrown away because it is cheaper than further processing the sheep for consumption (human or animal). I will have to try to find the article where that was...

@Primrosemama I'm with you on the T.V shows. I have watched Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood a few time because I am kind of screening these show myself so I can decide which ones I will allow DS to watch when he's old enough and I think it's great. They touch on so many concepts relevant to toddlers. One was about potty training and good habits, and another was where he had a friend who walked with crutches/braces and they sung about how she was different and did things differently but could still be his friend. I was just watching thinking how great it was and how well they explained some complicated things!

@asbromle We used to have our own chickens! Did you get yours as chicks or full grown chickens? We got six chicks and had them in a big plastic box in our spare bedroom with the heat lamp and all like we were told, all cute and fluffy, but within like two weeks they were mostly grown and got mean and were jumping on us to escape and running around our house-they went crazy! But we weren't supposed to put them outside yet?! So we gave them away):  I want to get more now though that we have moved and can build a nice setup. What type do you recommend for eggs? 

So many interesting UOs, so long of a reply, yeesh/:

My UO: I hate working in groups, both at school and at work. I'd so much rather do 100% of the work myself than have to deal with trying to get other people to do their part, it's less stressful to just do it all myself, which I usually end up doing anyways..
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @Jstahl678 : technically a Venti Latte is mostly milk. A Venti black coffee is a considerable amount of caffeine, but for all you know it's the only coffee they have all day. I don't know about Big Gulps or soda-- I am not a big cola drinker. I think it's a little much to get panties in a twist over someone else's coffee consumption. I mean, you do you & I'll drink some caffeine up in this mutha. ;)
    Ha, good point. To clarify, I am totally not judging anyone who drinks that much. I'm just a lightweight with caffeine. More than one cup gives me a headache and makes me feel shitty. So even the sight of something that big with caffeine makes me shiver.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @JStahl678--I have repeatedly admitted to being a Starbucks addict on here!  In a grande latte there are two shots of espresso and in a Venti there are also two shots, unless you ask  for a third shot.  Some days I just need that third shot!  Not often though.  Also, I believe there is actually more caffeine in a regular/drip 8 oz cup of coffee than in 2 shots of espresso...you can see I am totally rationalizing here, hehehe :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I hear you on this entire post.

Clyde013 said:

@primrosemama just curious after your experience is there anything you'll do in terms of raising your kids to help them avoid drugs?

Talk talk talk. I want my kids to feel like they can talk to me about their feelings, frustrations, temptations. Part of my issue was feeling like I had to hide my feelings & feeling trapped. My mom tried, but some of her reactions to things made me feel like I had to quash my feelings or she would be mad. Add a bunch of peer issues & feeling stuck, add college pressure & I just wanted to be "free". Heroin makes you feel like the person you want to be, like the world is your oyster etc.

The irony or sadness is that you are anything but free. My recovery has aided in my giving no fucks if my expression is hard to take by others. Quash your feelings & eventually you will find an outlet.

So, I really really want to temper my reactions to my kids. It's alright to be upset, but I want them to know they can come to me. If they need help-- I want to help first, punish later.
  • Options
    Clyde013 said:
    This chicken talk is making me crave chick fil a.
    Yum, yum, yum. My diet is telling me it would be a bad idea to drive 40 minutes to the closest chick fil a.  My brain is telling me it would also be a bad idea on the car seat screaming front. 
  • Options
    coco2787coco2787 member
    edited February 2014

I'm going to throw in on the drug debate:

No.  No friggin way do I want hard drugs legalized, or even decriminalized.  Sorry I don't want joe blow pedaling his bullshit to my kids.

MJ legalize it, tax it and regulate it, just like alcohol and cigs, but the other, no fucking way.  Sorry.  I know what addiction looks like and I want no part of that being available to folks legally.

The problem is that Joe Blow (lol at the name) is already peddling that shit to your kids. Its a fantasy to think that the illegality means pack of access

Yes but if I catch him and call the cops he goes to fucking jail... where as in that world he would not... see there's a difference. 

These drugs are not ok.  They ruin lives and entire families. 

Alcohol ruins lives and entire families.

Also, people sell drugs because it's good money. It's good money because drugs are illegal and the risk drives up the cost. There would probably be fewer people selling drugs because there would be less incentive.
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options
    LauraC122 said:

@primrosemama, YGPM
    :x

Replied my lovely <3

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    My UO: I hate working in groups, both at school and at work. I'd so much rather do 100% of the work myself than have to deal with trying to get other people to do their part, it's less stressful to just do it all myself, which I usually end up doing anyways..
    Amen!  Too bad we've never been in a group together.  Then we'd get 200% of the work done. 
  • Options

@laurac122 I LOVE your new avatar.  What a cute pic of your DD! 

• Options

@JStahl678--I have repeatedly admitted to being a Starbucks addict on here!  In a grande latte there are two shots of espresso and in a Venti there are also two shots, unless you ask  for a third shot.  Some days I just need that third shot!  Not often though.  Also, I believe there is actually more caffeine in a regular/drip 8 oz cup of coffee than in 2 shots of espresso...you can see I am totally rationalizing here, hehehe :)

Do this, you will thank me!

Quad Venti
    Upside down
    Caramel Macchiato
    At children's temperature (135*F)

It will change your liiiiiiiife!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    edited February 2014

Do this, you will thank me!

Quad Venti
    Upside down
    Caramel Macchiato
    At children's temperature (135*F)

It will change your liiiiiiiife!

Ah @primrosemama that's one of my favs...iced. The caramel at the bottom from being upside down is sooooo yummy.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Cfreymc said:

I'm going to throw in on the drug debate:

No.  No friggin way do I want hard drugs legalized, or even decriminalized.  Sorry I don't want joe blow pedaling his bullshit to my kids.

MJ legalize it, tax it and regulate it, just like alcohol and cigs, but the other, no fucking way.  Sorry.  I know what addiction looks like and I want no part of that being available to folks legally.

The problem is that Joe Blow (lol at the name) is already peddling that shit to your kids. Its a fantasy to think that the illegality means pack of access

Yes but if I catch him and call the cops he goes to fucking jail... where as in that world he would not... see there's a difference. 

These drugs are not ok.  They ruin lives and entire families. 

Alcohol ruins lives and entire families. Also, people sell drugs because it's good money. It's good money because drugs are illegal and the risk drives up the cost. There would probably be fewer people selling drugs because there would be less incentive.

Yep it does.  Which is why I don't drink much, nor does DH, or our families (exception MIL and her side of the family, funny they are the ones I don't get along with).

There probably wouldn't be fewer people selling drugs, there'd probably be more, because the risk would go down, demand would go up.  = more opportunity for some to make a few bucks.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

@primrosemama your recovery is definitely inspiring!  We also already love Daniel Tiger in our house. 

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I really dislike (almost hate) chick fil a. Gross!
  • Options
    Also, @primrosemama thanks for sharing your story and I completely agree on the talk, talk, talk. My dh was a crystal meth addict and then became a drug dealer. His parents left him to his own devices and didn't talk to him about any important issues and basically ignored him. It really effected him and he didn't realize the consequences that could come from his decisions. I think having an open, honest, judgement free conversation with kids is the best way educate them and let them know that you are there for them. :) 
  • Options
    coco2787coco2787 member
    edited February 2014
    For those of you who think all hell would break loose if drugs were decriminalized or legalized, do you know much about Portugal?

https://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx_mobile.html

https://www.alternet.org/story/151635/ten_years_ago_portugal_legalized_all_drugs_--_what_happened_next

Or the Netherlands?
    https://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/america-take-note-three-lessons-holland-learned-after-decades-evolving-its-drug-policy

Links so you don't have to take my word for it.
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options
    @somerandomchick, good to know about the iced drinks! Bring on summer! Hard to crave an iced drink when it's -5 outside! Also, my DH told me he thought I might boycott starbucks for a few days after the Seahawks won (obv Seattle-based and all)--I told him, you thought wrong! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DD1 is 6 and we gave her a laptop for Christmas this year.  She loves Minecraft as well, she and DH will play it with each other. 

I think Uggs are ugly too.

• Options
    Cfreymc said:
    I'll go ahead and start things off... I think all drugs should be de-criminalized.
    I agree about pot but other stuff no way. Having said that about pot it needs to have an age restriction. I would prefer heroin and cocaine not be sold at my corner store.
    Yes all of them. I also didn't say "legalized", so they wouldn't be at your corner store. The problem is the mindset that addict=criminal, and jail is not the solution. We would save billions of dollars if we got drug offenders out of prison and stopped wasting money on drug enforcement in the "drug war". That money could be channeled into drug education and government funded rehab. As far as marijuana, that should definitely be legalized. This article raised some really interesting points on this matter if anyone cares to read it (it also shows that what we are doing to fight drug problems isn't working and that we need a drastic change. https://m.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/02/hoffman-and-the-horrible-heroin-deaths-in-the-shadows/283533/
    Really? You would want Europe's latest drug Kokodril decrimanlized? Then my hope for society would be lost as a whole.

imageimage

• Options
    I love my Uggs.  I just bought them this year because I didn't want to jump on the Uggs bandwagon, but they are so comfortable I wish I had done it sooner!  My dh thinks they're awful though!

I'm afraid of big birds.  When I was little I was feeding a peacock and he bit me.  It scared me more than it hurt, but since them I stay away.  Plus, a goose chased me into work one day.  (a flock lives by the hospital I worked at)

I leave the tv on all day too.  I can't stand it to be quiet so I always have noise going.  It drives my dh nuts.

My UO: I think the only appropriate way to drink coffee is black.  No cream. No sugar.  No crazy syrups. No foam. No iced anything.  Except for Pumpkin Spice Lattes.  I go crazy for those.  But except for that, coffee should be hot and black.

• Options
    LauraC122 said:

LauraC122 said:

On the tv issue, I can't stand silence so the TV is almost always on.  It's on something like Sesame Street or Daniel Tiger but it has to be on.  Izzy only pays half attention to it because she's too busy playing, but eh.  The thing I don't want to do is let myself become a lazy parent and give her the iPad to occupy her all the time.  I have no trouble with her playing on it occasionally when she's older, and I'm sure it'll be part of her playing and learning, but I don't want it to become a crutch for me to give her something to do. 

SOs niece and nephew each have their own iPad and literally are on them ALL THE TIME.  Why a 6 and 8 yr old need their own, I have no idea.  They have a basement full of toys that they don't respect. 

Says the mom that doesn't have a 6 or 8 yr old. 

While I agree with you on the "lazy" parent aspect, but my 9 year old loves her Kindle.  Does it make me a lazy parent?  Maybe, but shit e are on day 10 of snow days this year.......  Judge  ME :)  Sounds like you are more irritated at the way they spoil the children and not encourage them to treat their things nicely than the Ipads.

My biggest lesson I learned with my first is never to judge an age that I have not raised myself.

Oh no, I'm not saying it makes any parent lazy, if that's what works (especially after 10 days of being cooped up and everyone is getting stir-crazy) go for it.  I have a 5yr SD who is on the iPad a lot.  I know that everyone needs a break too, so I will absolutely let Izzy play on it, but I don't want to let myself slip into laziness and say yes every time she asks to play on it.  I'm hoping this weekend is warm enough to finally go play outside in the snow.... please?  I'm begging the weather gods....

And his niece and nephew, I'm definitely more irritated that they haven't been taught to respect their things.  We went over there to visit once (weeks after nephew's bday) and the first thing out of his mouth to SO was "where's my present?"  SO was like "wha?"  They didn't care that we were there to play, he wanted something tangible.  Going forward, we're getting them things like bonds or tickets to something. 
    They have more toys and things to play with than they know what to do
    with.  They don't need more stuff from us that they won't touch in a day or two.

Good luck with this.
  • Options
    Birds dont bother me too much.  We did get stalked by an angry swan at the local zoo...Nikita is a little weary of them now.  But my dad has at least 10 of these roaming his property...they freak me out.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"