March 2014 Moms

Dumb Questions

Re: Dumb Questions

• I've never used the straps.

Never BF so don't know.

I never stocked up on diapers or were able to buy clothes at the end of season for the next year. DS was always in the 95%tile for height & 75%tile for weight so I could never predict clothing or diapers.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• When we got our changing pad I was VERY confused about the straps. Are you planning on putting the baby there and walking away?? I always assumed you kept the supplies right next to the pad, and always had at least one hand on the baby, so what's the need for straps??
    The straps are meant to strap around the baby dreser or changing table. Most baby furniture has an opening in the back to strap it through so the pad doesnt fall off the dresser
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • kirotea said:

snow527 said:

I have a question, are car seat covers necessary? Do thy get peed on and stuff?

If you mean the ones that go inside the seat itself - no. Like BoogieMonster said, you can already remove it & wash it if you need to.

But I did register for a cover that goes under the seat base to cover my upholstered seat. My H's cousin recommended them. It'll probably come in handy once baby is older and eating snacks in the car, but its easier to wipe clean than a cloth seat.

What cover did you register for and where do you find it? My seats are apholstered and I hadn't even thought of this.
  • Love this thread.

Should I be worried that my boobs are not firmer, have not grown, show no signs of producing any milk or colostrum or anything?? They hurt for the first couple of months, but now nothing. My nipples aren't even sensitive. I'd be heartbroken if I can't BF.
  • aLsMay24 said:

DS is 2.5 and we have never taken a rectal temp.

I have had 4 kids and I have never had a rectal thermometer and never been asked by a doctor to provide a rectal temp if LO was sick .
    Mom to 5 wonderful kids: 18ds, 15ds, 13ds, 11dd and baby boy! Why get old when you can get pregnant?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sebullows said:

Love this thread.

Should I be worried that my boobs are not firmer, have not grown, show no signs of producing any milk or colostrum or anything?? They hurt for the first couple of months, but now nothing. My nipples aren't even sensitive. I'd be heartbroken if I can't BF.

Mine were the same with DS except the grew just a bit. DS self weaned around 20 months. I wouldn't worry about a thing until LO gets here. More than likely your body will do what I needs to do!
    Married - 5/2008
    DS #1 - Born 9/2011
    DS #2 - EDD 3/2014
  • jessher said:
    DS is 2.5 and we have never taken a rectal temp.
    I have had 4 kids and I have never had a rectal thermometer and never been asked by a doctor to provide a rectal temp if LO was sick .

I would be really careful with rectal temps. Lots of pedis no longer recommend them because you can actually perforate the bowel wall with them. We have a good quality ear thermometer which is way easier to use than trying to put a stiff probe up a squirmy baby's bum! @Laura8388 Definitely back to sleep once Ryker is off monitors. Tummy time while awake, or if sleeping on your chest!
  • In afraid I'll get flamed for starting a thread on this so I'll ask here. I have really bad upper back pain, I've read that it's lower back pain that is a sign of PTL. So I shouldn't be worried about upper back pain...right? And why am I getting it? I'm not lifting anything heavy. It feels similar the pains I used to get from a gallbladder attack.
  • Laura8388 said:

In afraid I'll get flamed for starting a thread on this so I'll ask here. I have really bad upper back pain, I've read that it's lower back pain that is a sign of PTL. So I shouldn't be worried about upper back pain...right? And why am I getting it? I'm not lifting anything heavy. It feels similar the pains I used to get from a gallbladder attack.

Possibly just from the change in your posture due to baby pulling you forward
    This or if baby has pushed a rib out of place you can get back pain from that as well.
    Married - 5/2008
    DS #1 - Born 9/2011
    DS #2 - EDD 3/2014
  • This is a great thread, thanks for starting!

• another dumb question here. My husband is always working ( gotta love the military) and probably wont be able to come drive me to the hospital if my water breaks or if I have contractions. I have to go right away because I am having a c section and they will have to call my doctors in and they dont want me to go into labor naturally. So, my question is, if I am having contractions and if my water breaks can I drive myself to the hospital? It is only 15 mins away. Is this a safety hazard? I would have to call an ambulance if I can't drive because none of my friends live even remotely close to me

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• @ufsandra85 I am worried about this too. My husband is in the military as well. He works in a secure area and can't have his phone. I have several numbers to reach him and his commanders, but it could take awhile. We just moved here and I know no one. If something urgent happens, There is a satellite emergency room near my house, I thought maybe I could just go there and if they think there's time they can transport me. I dunno.
    Induction of mo/di twin boys scheduled for 2/24! Pregnancy Ticker}
  • Oh I'm kinda in the same boat... DH is in law enforcement and he doesn't answer his phone while working. I've become very good friends with his dispatch! DH works 30 mins away so I'm hoping a quick call to the girls in dispatch will send hubs home in time to get me to the hospital. It's literally a mile away, a quick 3 min drive. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Laura8388 said:

In afraid I'll get flamed for starting a thread on this so I'll ask here. I have really bad upper back pain, I've read that it's lower back pain that is a sign of PTL. So I shouldn't be worried about upper back pain...right? And why am I getting it? I'm not lifting anything heavy. It feels similar the pains I used to get from a gallbladder attack.

Thanks, that's probably it. My boobs alone are so heavy it's got to be hard on my poor back. What concerned me is that it can get intense and its that combined with nausea coming back.
  • Another maybe dumb question. This is a thought/concern I've been having. My DD was delivered at 37 wks via c/s due to my health issues. I didn't go into labor or have any contractions etc.
    This baby is scheduled for later but I'm scared I might go into labor earlier on my own.

Is it possible that since my first baby was delivered early, my body thinks that this baby should also come early and will go into labor on its own for that reason?
  • What about a taxi?
    only certian taxi companies are allowed on base and there are all these issues with taxis on our base. They turn so many people away, even ones in labor :(

Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Laura8388 said:
    another dumb question here. My husband is always working ( gotta love the military) and probably wont be able to come drive me to the hospital if my water breaks or if I have contractions. I have to go right away because I am having a c section and they will have to call my doctors in and they dont want me to go into labor naturally. So, my question is, if I am having contractions and if my water breaks can I drive myself to the hospital? It is only 15 mins away. Is this a safety hazard? I would have to call an ambulance if I can't drive because none of my friends live even remotely close to me
    Probably depends how strong your contractions come on. Mine started out ok, I had a shower and tried to convince myself they were gas pains from eating too much cake (could have drove) but by time I woke dh up, and we drove into town, I could barely even talk through them. Sensible me would warn you to take an ambulance, but know how annoying that could be! Can you make friends with a neighbour? Just let them know the situation?
    my husband said he is going to talk to our neighbors that are retired military because they will be able to get on base. they work but less hours. I am hoping if he does come early it will be when I am at work because I work in the hospital :)

image"">

• Question.
    Do you wash bath towels before use?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Question. Do you wash bath towels before use?
    Yes, I do.  I'm not the best at washing clothes before wearing, but I always wash bedding and towels before using.  

BabyFetus Ticker

• @drensik I bought 2 pretty cheap ones (like $13 each) at target to bring to the hospital and use for the beginning based on what fits now. I figure once the milk comes in I'll get measured properly and buy some that will be more durable and support things correctly.
  • Drensik said:
    I have a question!  I'd ask in the maternity bra thread, but I'm not really sure if maternity bras and nursing bras are the same thing :/  Every list I've seen for suggested items to bring in the hospital bag includes a nursing bra...but all of the advice on how to pick a size pretty much says to wait until your milk comes in.  How does that work out timeline-wise?? 
    I bought sleep nursing bras and tanks.  Not the most supportive, but really I'm not going anywhere between the hospital and home after discharge...and since it is March, I'll probably have a coat on where I live.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Berry30 said:
    I never used the straps on the changing pad but I always was right there with the baby.

I got thrush, I went to the pedi for her issue and my OB for mine. It was AWFUL!

I am a coupon queen. I have so many diapers stocked up in all sizes, mostly Pampers and Huggies. I can't resist when I've been getting the jumbo packs for $2-$3.50 each. I got a 40 pack of Babyganics at Target for $1.99 yesterday. I have no idea if these diapers are good for but $1.99 I figure we'll try them out. 

I recently read an article that said not to use the Bundle Me car seat cover things so I won't be using them. I plan to warm the car up and cover the baby with a thick blanket and hat, warm clothes but no big coats/snowsuits. 
    Where are you finding coupons like this? 

what?! Yes! Do share your methodology! I've been following babycheapskate lately, and even that doesn't come anywhere near that!
    imageimage
  • In afraid I'll get flamed for starting a thread on this so I'll ask here. I have really bad upper back pain, I've read that it's lower back pain that is a sign of PTL. So I shouldn't be worried about upper back pain...right? And why am I getting it? I'm not lifting anything heavy. It feels similar the pains I used to get from a gallbladder attack.
    Thanks, that's probably it. My boobs alone are so heavy it's got to be hard on my poor back. What concerned me is that it can get intense and its that combined with nausea coming back.
    I've also found that there's a huge difference in my back pain from when I'm wearing a bra.  My bras are all too small now and the pressure the strap is putting on my back makes me hurt a lot.  Once I take it off it's much better.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• Dumb question for STM+s who BF... Where do you get fitted for maternity bras? I've only ever been fitted at Victoria's Secret, and I don't recall them selling Body by Victoria nursing bras :-)

I found a local baby specialty store that sells Bravado bras, and got fitted there. Most higher end lingerie/bra stores will fit you as well.
  • Can I take off the fabric covering on the baby swing and wash it? It seems kind of fragile but I got our swing from my SIL and it would look so much better if I could wash it.
  • stufie said:
    Can I take off the fabric covering on the baby swing and wash it? It seems kind of fragile but I got our swing from my SIL and it would look so much better if I could wash it.
    I don't know if this helps, but I took the fabric covering off a bouncer we got from a friend and there were washing instructions on the back. 

• What is the difference between the breastmilk storage bags and tubes/bottles? They both say they can be directly pumped into, be used in fridge and/or freezer.. I cannot figure out the difference. 
    And I'm assuming I need to get my own cooler if I'm pumping at work? Or do the ones covered by insurance usually come with one?

• dannie2011dannie2011 member
    edited February 2014
    Sanibel21 said:
    What is the difference between the breastmilk storage bags and tubes/bottles? They both say they can be directly pumped into, be used in fridge and/or freezer.. I cannot figure out the difference. 
    And I'm assuming I need to get my own cooler if I'm pumping at work? Or do the ones covered by insurance usually come with one?
    You can store a lot more bags in the freezer in less space. Placed flat to freeze so they are nice and thin. That and buying a box of 100 bags is cheaper then 100 bottles.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• I never used the straps on the changing pad. By the time DS started moving around enough to roll himself off the table, we just changed him on the floor.

I personally think it's a bad idea to stock up on diapers.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Loving this thread!!

So with CD's with inserts, when you get ready to wash them do you pull the insert out first and then wash them all together? Or do you toss the whole thing in the wash and separate them after? I'm guessing separate them first.... FTM, First time CD'er here

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • What happens once your water breaks? How long do you have to get to the hospital? Can DH take me to the hospital or am I supposed to go in an ambulance?

Our babysitter is someone we used before we moved to our new house so she lives an hour away and is scheduled to come for my scheduled c-section during the days I'll be in the hospital. If I went into labor early, and she was able to get here last minute it would take at least an hour. Could I wait for her to get here before leaving for the hospital?
  • What is the best way to heat milk if it has been stored in freezer bags? How warm do they actually like it? Room temp? We are going to try the playtex drop in bottles, but I am so freaked out because I know nothing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Stephout said:

What is the best way to heat milk if it has been stored in freezer bags? How warm do they actually like it? Room temp? We are going to try the playtex drop in bottles, but I am so freaked out because I know nothing.

Defrost in the fridge and heat by putting the bag in a cup filled with warm water. Never microwave.
  • Laura8388 said:

What happens once your water breaks? How long do you have to get to the hospital? Can DH take me to the hospital or am I supposed to go in an ambulance?

Our babysitter is someone we used before we moved to our new house so she lives an hour away and is scheduled to come for my scheduled c-section during the days I'll be in the hospital. If I went into labor early, and she was able to get here last minute it would take at least an hour. Could I wait for her to get here before leaving for the hospital?

Everyone is different. Some peoples water doesn't break until they are in active labour. Some peoples breaks an hour before contractions start. Mine broke 8 days before contractions started.

Your labour may start at cramps, as back pain, as throwing up:.. Many options, so sorry can't give you a definite answer on the babysitter!
    To go along with what Laura said, talk to your OB/MW because each has different 'rules' on how they want to handle water breaking.
    Plus if you are GBS+ you'll have to get started on antibiotics very soon after.

I'd see if you can find a local baby sitter for the just in case, because you never know!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • coreyeliz said:

kirotea said:

snow527 said:

I have a question, are car seat covers necessary? Do thy get peed on and stuff?

If you mean the ones that go inside the seat itself - no. Like BoogieMonster said, you can already remove it & wash it if you need to.

But I did register for a cover that goes under the seat base to cover my upholstered seat. My H's cousin recommended them. It'll probably come in handy once baby is older and eating snacks in the car, but its easier to wipe clean than a cloth seat.
    What cover did you register for and where do you find it? My seats are apholstered and I hadn't even thought of this.

The seat protectors have been WONDERFUL for DS. DH just cleaned out the car today to get ready for LO and the stuff he washed off the mat was disgusting...crumbs, milk from bottles / sippy cups, etc. They definitely saved my seats. Oh, and they have been good this winter at keeping salt / snow off the back of the seat, since he was still rear facing.
    We ended up buying the Prince Lionheart ones from BRU.

The other item I highly recommend is a waterproof mattress pad. We bought a Luna brand one from Amazon. DS has leaked bottles / pee on our bed more times than I like to think about. And it's nice to know it's there in case my water breaks or I leak through blood after I have baby.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I registered for, and received, two 'starter' sets of bottles:  Dr Brown's and Playtex Drop-ins.  I hope to BF, but I do know that at some point (when I go back to work if not before) I'll need to pump and feed breast milk via a bottle so some kind of bottle is going to get used.

Anyone have insight as to which option might be better to try first?  Iirc I picked the Playtex one because the drop in function looks like it would be easier than transferring breast milk from a pumped bottle, and Dr Brown's because that's what my sister used. It looks to me like the Playtex drop in things are compatible with a pump so I wouldn't have to swap out parts as much - has anyone used them for that purpose and were they really compatible or hard to use?
  • StephoutStephout member
    edited February 2014
    ceh789 said:

I registered for, and received, two 'starter' sets of bottles:  Dr Brown's and Playtex Drop-ins.  I hope to BF, but I do know that at some point (when I go back to work if not before) I'll need to pump and feed breast milk via a bottle so some kind of bottle is going to get used.

Anyone have insight as to which option might be better to try first?  Iirc I picked the Playtex one because the drop in function looks like it would be easier than transferring breast milk from a pumped bottle, and Dr Brown's because that's what my sister used. It looks to me like the Playtex drop in things are compatible with a pump so I wouldn't have to swap out parts as much - has anyone used them for that purpose and were they really compatible or hard to use?
    I am very interested in this too since playtex is what we decided to go with
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"