One & Done: Only child
Options

Times are crazy!

I'm a high school teacher and a few weeks ago we were on lockdown for several hours. Some kid (turned out to be one of our students) was threatening to blow up our school on some website chat room. The site moderators contacted the FBI, who contacted our local police force and so on. Then our ex asst. superintendent moved to a better position in another town. This past weekend some teenager set her home on fire because she was fighting with their 13 yo DD. They made it out alive but were injured some and lost almost everything. The fire was started in the DD's room which means the teenager came into their house while they were sleeping.

What is wrong with kids?! Why is a simple "meet me at the flag pole" or whatever not a good enough fight anymore. It freaks me out and I'm scared to death to raise my DD in this world. I really am not a paranoid person but I feel like these stories are always happening lately and I don't know how to avoid it.

Would you move to some cool, laid back country that doesn't have these problems if you could? Or do you think it's no big deal and that these stories are just glamorized to make things seem worse than they really are?

Re: Times are crazy!

• Options
    If there was a place where non of this happened I would definitely move. But I don't think that place exists. 

The world is becoming a scary place. After the theater shooting, I didn't go to the movies for about a year. I'm sorry this is happening so close to home.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think what is happening is lack of accountability.  Kids think they can get away with things.  the whole helicopter parent thing.  'If I mess up my parents will save me".  My sister lives in Westminster CO, where it seems like everything bad happens.  And it is scary that at my DD's daycare we have an armed card and 2 keycard locked doors to get in.  But I hope that makes her safe.

• Options
    I think we are all brave raising children these days!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    EcyEcy member

Good points made by all. I agree that bad things can happen anywhere and that social media definitely helps spread the word of news that may be otherwise left alone. I think my issue goes beyond safety. I'm a bit exhausted with teenagers in general lately. aimee44 said it well when she mentioned kids and the lack of accountability. It's a huge problem and I'm becoming so bitter because of it.

I lived on a small island in Belize for a few years before DH and DD and there are days when I want to run back (with them in tow of course). Yes, there were problems there too but not many. But then again, I would have to be poor to live there and I don't want to do that either, lol.

Just in a mood today, I guess. Thanks for the responses!

• Options
    Ecy said:

Good points made by all. I agree that bad things can happen anywhere and that social media definitely helps spread the word of news that may be otherwise left alone. I think my issue goes beyond safety. I'm a bit exhausted with teenagers in general lately. aimee44 said it well when she mentioned kids and the lack of accountability. It's a huge problem and I'm becoming so bitter because of it.

I lived on a small island in Belize for a few years before DH and DD and there are days when I want to run back (with them in tow of course). Yes, there were problems there too but not many. But then again, I would have to be poor to live there and I don't want to do that either, lol.

Just in a mood today, I guess. Thanks for the responses!

I do agree that I think kids tend to be a lot more disrespectful these days. Both to their parents, friends and teachers. I see this a lot at the bus stop.. I think kids can be SO rude, especially to each other.  I'm NOT into rudeness.  My almost 8 year old can sure test me on this, too, because she's at that age.  I ask her to do do something for me.. I get "No" and I tell her to do it, and I get THE TONGUE.  I know it's not as rude as some things, but I curb that shit so quick- before she blinks.  I think it starts there.  And I think a lot of parents let their kids walk on them.  I refuse to have a rude child, or one who disrespects.  And I still get the tongue, but I also reprimand for it.  And she knows if I get it, she's off her iPad for 2 hours.  Or she's in her room.  Or the TV is off.  
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Options
    I could never comprehend why people are so angry..... The anger and hate is crazy. It makes me sad.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @Ecy,

I'm terribly sorry that you had to go through that, but I think we should all keep in mind, that sensationalistic journalism is creating a false sense of reality.

According to the DOJ, violent crime among juveniles is at an all time low and according to the CDC teen pregnancy is also the lowest it's been since 1946. 

There's some terrible stuff in the world, but each generation has it's own "thing."  Could you imagine growing up in London during the bombing raids of WW2? Or the early 80's when every news stationed reminded you that we were one red phone call away from total nuclear annihilation?

It's always good to look back at the facts when this stuff starts getting overwhelming. Again though, I'm so sorry you had to go through what you did. I can't imagine that kind of stress.

• Options

My sister posted this on FB today, and I thought it might be relevant to this thread:

https://momastery.com/blog/2014/01/30/share-schools/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"