February 2014 Moms
Options

Good Newborn Books??

Being a FTM as labor approaches I'm starting to get more and more nervous, not about the delivery itself but the first few weeks at home. Do any of you have any good suggestions on what books I could read. I have been reading books on pregnancy but not what to expect after. Thank you in advance!!! 
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersAnniversary  

Best Answer

Re: Good Newborn Books??

• Options
    I really like Happiest Baby on the Block. They also have it in DVD form.

Lilypie - (jCE1)

Lilypie - (mQ2I)

Daisypath - (hLYb)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't read Happiest Baby On The Block, but I did watch the DVD! I recommend watching that.  It has some tips on how to soothe a baby, and its amazing. 
  • Options
    Just started Happiest Baby and while the points are good, it feels a bit redundant already... A lot of fluffy reading IMO. I've used the Mayo Clinic book for pregnancy and that's been good - will also use the baby one. Two others I picked up but haven't read yet are Bringing Up Bebe (heard an interview w/ the author and was intrigued, especially since DH was raised between the US & France) and Cherish the First Six Weeks, which seemed to have a nice breakdown of what's happening through these initial phases for both mom & baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Happiest Baby on the Block - read it before baby gets here though (It's a pretty quick read)
    Dr. Sears Baby Bible
    What to Expect the First Year
  • Options
    I'm a FTM but I'm a nanny with lots of baby experience. My personal favorites are Happiest Baby, Baby Bible and Babywise... for getting baby on a eating/sleeping schedule.
  • Options
    I'm reading Baby Whisperer. I had the Dr Sears Baby Book with DS, but I used it as more of a milestone tracking then a how to care for a NB. It basically helped me to know what developments were coming next.
  • Options
    I panic-ordered this the other night when I realized we didn't have any baby books, but it hasn't arrived yet. The reviews are good, though. What sold me was reading reviews that said it was logical and factual, and not cutesy or preachy. https://www.amazon.com/Mayo-Clinic-Guide-Babys-First/dp/1561487503
    I haven't ordered this yet but was planning on it as I used/read the Mayo Clinic Pregnancy Guide and it was great.  Very factual and "talked" me off of a few ledges throughout pregnancy!  

I have also heard Baby 411 was good so I may order that as well. 

I found a copy of Happiest Baby on the Block for $1 at a consignment sale but haven't read it yet---should probably get around to that!  

I will also plan on relying in Google a bit (and texting my mom friends!)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We used Baby Whisperer with DD and found it very helpful. I'm trying Happiest Baby this time to see if it offers anything new.
  • Options

I've read several because I minored in Early Childhood Education. I do like Happiest Baby on the Block but it always seemed like common sense to me.

Right now I am reading What's Going on in There: How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life-Lise Eliot

^^This is kind of a long read but I have enjoyed it so far.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This book is my favorite on sleep though it isn't for the newest, newborn stage.  It explains the science of awake patterns and how to follow your kid's rhythm to predict sleepiness and get into a routine. It is NOT a sleep training book. My pedi suggested it at the 2 month appt and it worked wonders for us. I give it to all my mom friends!

https://www.amazon.com/The-90-Minute-Baby-Sleep-Program/dp/0761143114

I hope to create a real siggy but first I need some sleep!

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Continuing on this thread, I was given some recommendations from a few friends (with kids age 1-5) over the weekend and thought I'd share for those interested in expanding their potential library lists:

Becoming the Parent You Want to Be: A Sourcebook of Strategies for the First Five Years by Laura Davis and Janis Keyser- "wonderful book and resource"

Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene by Ingrid Bauer
    - "this book is revolutionary, we were out of diapers even at night before she was 2"

Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason Hardcover by Alfie Kohn

Between Parent and Child: The Bestselling Classic That Revolutionized Parent-Child Communication by Dr. Haim G. Ginott, Alice Ginott and H. Wallace Goddard 

Playful Parenting by Lawrence J. Cohen
    - "this book has some creative ideas for getting out of some tough situations, esp during the 3's when they can be really stubborn. it makes some tough situations fun and silly for everyone"

The Baby Book, Revised Edition: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two (Sears Parenting... by William Sears, Martha Sears, Robert Sears and James Sears
    - "this is like the baby bible and i just realized a new edition is out!!"

The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night by Elizabeth Pantley and William Sears

Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron
    - "this was good for making baby food and playdough etc. lots of healthy recipes and even craft stuff"

How to Get Kids to Eat Great & Love It! by Christine Wood
    - "this was a book my pediatricain recommended"

Feeding Your Child for Lifelong Health: Birth Through Age Six by Susan Roberts and Melvin B. Heyman

NurtureShock by Po Bronson & Ashley Merryman
    - "more academic than most child psychology books and really interesting"; from friend who is an educator as well as a new parent

How Children Succeed by Paul Tough
    - from friend who is an educator as well as a new parent

New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding by Joan Younger Meek
    - from friend who is also a pediatrician; gives this book to all her friends

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth- from friend who is also a pediatrician; gives this book to all her friends
  • Options
    I git happiest baby on the block also, ive tried reading it 3 times now and cant get through more then 5 pages. It's not an easy read, and extremely repetitive. I didnt know there was a dvd, i may get that instead
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"