Attachment Parenting
Options

when breastfeeding becomes a tiring habit

What do you do when breastfeeding becomes more of a habit (or not actually feeding, but just wanting to be on the boob seemingly constantly)? I'm a SAHM and my 15 month old son wants to just pop on and off multiple times throughout the day (15 to 20x) for less than 5 seconds. I don't know if it's for comfort or out of boredom or it's become almost like a habit. I try to distract him or offer him water or cuddle him, but most of the time he gets really upset unless I let him latch. Once he does, he's off within a few seconds, but will get upset when I put my shirt back down. He is wanting to latch a lot in public too and constantly trying to pull up my shirt in public. It's becoming wearing on me. I know that he loves breastfeeding and I know that it has always been a huge source of comfort for him. He still nurses to actually feed about 4 times per day and he still nurses to sleep for naps/bedtime quite often. That I don't mind and want to continue breastfeeding until he self weans. But the popping on and off multiple times per day and fussing to do so in public so much of the time is really wearing on me. I don't want to damage the breastfeeding relationship or make him feel insecure or not comforted...but what I can do to tame the want to pop on/off for a few seconds multiple times per day? Any other suggestions besides what I'm already doing? (which is trying to distract or offering water or offering hugs)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: when breastfeeding becomes a tiring habit

• Options
    Will he take a pacifier? That may help when out on public if he is wanting to just nurse for comfort.
  • Options
    When you're in public, you could tell him that you'll nurse when you get to the car. That's what I do with DS when we're at the store. Otherwise he would be reaching out of the cart and into my shirt. Lol

I promise to nurse him at the car and I always do. The anticipation gets him through the shopping.

My DS does the quick latch a whole bunch too. I call it "checking in". It's kind of like coming over for a hug or kiss; a sign of affection rather than a meal or a drink (though I suppose he could be thirsty). Here are some ideas, though I know you're already doing some of them:

1. Have a sippy of water out within his reach at all times, and make sure he knows it's there.
    2. When he comes over and asks to nurse, give a hug and a kiss first and then ask him; "do you want to nurse (or whatever you call it)?" 4 out of 5 times DS will go back to playing and be satisfied with the snuggle.
    3. When he pops off, ask if he is done. If he says yes, cover yourself up completely. Wear inaccessible clothing and if he fusses, tell him that he said he was done, and that he can nurse in x amount of time or at x event (e.g. Before dinner), but that we're all done for now. Offer alternatives if he fusses, but do nurse him if he is inconsolable.
    4. Avoid situations in which you KNOW he will want to "check in" often. The lazy boy, low cut shirts, etc.

And remember that if you're starting to limit some if his nursing that you'll need to be extra attentive to showing other signs of affection: nursing is so strongly associated with aftection. He'll adjust more easily if there's no question in his mind that any love is being withheld. Good luck!
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with setting limits. I can't remember how I gently enforced them, but we nursed at the same time of day and in the same location. She grew to never even think to nurse outside of those timeframes. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"