Pregnant after 35

First trimester testing

From what I am seeing, it looks like the NT/Quad screens are still routinely offered, with the blood tests (Maternit21, Harmony, etc.) as a followup if risk is elevated. Is that what you ladies are doing/did?

What I am wondering is why go through all of that.... could I skip the lots-of-false-positives screening, and just go straight to the more reliable blood tests?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: First trimester testing

• I wasn't even offered the NT/Quad screens. Did the Mat 21 at 18 weeks. You can skip them and just do the Mat 21 if you want. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• For this pregnancy, I did the NT scan but not the bloodwork associated.  I also had the Verifi test done at 10 1/2 weeks and got the results shortly after having the NT scan.  I had the 16 week blood test but that tests for things beyond what the first trimester blood tests look for.
    My doctor had me do the NT scan even though I was doing the Verifi test because the ultrasound still shows things that may be problematic that the Verifi test does not test for.  For instance, heart defects may be observed as would anecephaly.  I felt good walking out of the NT scan and even better once we learned the results of the Verifi test.  
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers mc #1 2/17/06 mc#2 8/3/06 mc #3 9/7/09
  • Loading the player...
  • I had all 3 (NT scan, quad screen, and mat21) done on the same day. For me I wanted as many results as possible to compare.

Melissa

• dragonfly711dragonfly711 member
    edited January 2014
    I had Materni21  and NT scan done at 12 weeks, I did not have any other ones done.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I did the NT scan the blood work that goes with and Panorama testing. Yes the tests overlap but my doctor said that the blood tests are so new that it is still recommends to do both. She said that probably after a few years it will just be blood work.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was only offered the Harmony test, which I did and it was fine. Had a doc appointment today and she only listened to the heartbeat... she was so very unconcerned about anything that when my husband asked if any further testing was needed due to my age (he got a look for that), she just said "oh, don't worry, I'll let you know if you need anything as we go along". I don't know whether to take that as great news that everything is so normal or be concerned that she is so unconcerned about anything! Next test is the Anatomy Scan at 20 weeks. 
    Master of 'the look' 
  • rcbuko said:
    For this pregnancy, I did the NT scan but not the bloodwork associated.  I also had the Verifi test done at 10 1/2 weeks and got the results shortly after having the NT scan.  I had the 16 week blood test but that tests for things beyond what the first trimester blood tests look for.
    My doctor had me do the NT scan even though I was doing the Verifi test because the ultrasound still shows things that may be problematic that the Verifi test does not test for.  For instance, heart defects may be observed as would anecephaly.  I felt good walking out of the NT scan and even better once we learned the results of the Verifi test.  
    same here.  Good luck to you!
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • I did mat21 at 10 weeks.
    ~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• I only did the blood testing at 10w; had results by 11w. We skipped the NT scan because, according to our genetic counselor, anything problematic observed during that test wouldn't be confirmed until the Anatomy scan, anyway. YMMV.

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

• My ob is old fashioned/ behind the times... only offered Quad screening and NT so that is what I did.  If i had the option yes I would have done Mat21/other new tests.

by the way congratulations

• Thanks, ladies! We didn't do any testing last time (except for anatomy scan at 20w). Now we are a few years older, and I am intrigued by the new testing available. I'm not that psyched about the OB options available through our new insurance, so I'm doing my own research and preparing to go into my appointment specific about the testing I want.
  • We only did Panorama at 10 wks, mainly so we could know gender as soon as possible. Last time we did the same as you. Just the anatomy scan, and I was 38 at delivery so already AMA.
  • I'm 38 and having my first :) I had the maternit21 at around 11 weeks, my nuchal ultrasound around 12-13, my AFP around 18 weeks and my anatomy scan at 20.
    I did not have any other tests. My OB and the perinatologist I saw said between the maternit21 test and scans, many patients are doing less tests- they are pretty accurate.
  • YlvelillYlvelill member
    edited January 2014
    NT scan/blood work and mat21 all done the same day, now I just have to wait for the mat21 results....
  • I was offered a choice between NT scan and associated bloodwork OR MaterniT21 (though it turned out they then still did the part of the quad screen blood testing that screens for spinal cord defects - AFP if I remember right?  That was a few weeks later).  I chose the Mat21 because was concerned about false positives with NT scan since they take age into account for the odds, and false positives seemed to be comparably so much less likely with the Mat21.  

That said, whether or not to get any of these tests really depends on what you would do with the information/why you want it/if you even want it.  You do not have to have any of these tests, since it is not like something like gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia, placenta previa, or other things like that where knowing about them and managing/treating/planning based on knowing it is there is essential to both your health and the chance of your baby being born healthy.  Sadly, nothing these tests screen for is treatable (as in, you can't make a trisomy go away - though you can, of course, make plans and preparations that will potentially improve quality of life if the baby survives to birth).

I was especially concerned about the other two, more rare, trisomies that it checks for more so than Downs, because the prognosis and even best-case-scenario for quality of life are so different that we almost certainly would have terminated if one of those other 2 trisomies were found, and that would be something I'd want to have done earlier rather than later.   Also where we had had 2 early losses and RPL testing hadn't shown any reason (such as an immune or blood problem for my part) it made me wonder if we maybe had a tendency for some reason to chromosome problems so was more concerned than simply because of being "AMA".  

Finding out the sex early was a nice side bonus but personally I would not have gotten the test just for that - it's awfully expensive even if properly covered, both in terms my co-insurance part and also thinking about the load on the whole insurance pool.  

If you would want to carry the pregnancy to term regardless of what the results are, then you might not want to get any of these tests and that is a totally valid option.  As far as I understand from my providers (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the first trimester tests would not show anything that could be treated with any interventions nor will it show anything that would pose an adverse affect to your own physical health if not identified at this time.  So in that way it's not strictly necessary.  I suppose maybe the NT scan could show something else, since it is full ultrasound imaging, (like if you had a SCH that hadn't started to bleed yet? Maybe?  where rest or pelvic rest would be prescribed but that's about all I can think of and I'm not even sure that would be likely?  Other ideas on that?) On the other hand, maybe even if you would carry to term no matter what, you might want to get one or more of the tests so if you did find out that your baby has one of the trisomies,  you can begin researching and planning even earlier than information from the A/S around 20 weeks would allow.  It's just your personal choice.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • We chose not to do any testing. We are putting our faith in GOD that he will only give us what we can handle. Also, no major genetic problems with other children or in either families.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • i did it all and still worried over everything.  next time i am doing the NT and materni21 and thats it.  Quad caused a whole lot of worry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"