May 2013 Moms
Options

Ban crying babies at restaurants?

I saw this story this morning on Good morning America. A family was at a restaurant in Chicago and took there 8mo baby with them after the baby sitter had cancelled. What do you think?

"January 13, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A crying baby at his upscale Chicago restaurant Alinea led Chef Grant Achatz to tweet about a possible ''baby ban.''

The infant was brought into Alinea on Saturday, and apparently had a crying fit.

Chef Achatz tweeted about his tiny guest, questioning whether he should consider banning babies there. He tweeted: "Tbl brings 8mo.Old. It cries. Diners mad. Tell ppl no kids? Subject diners 2crying? Ppl take infants 2 plays? Concerts? Hate saying no,but.."

As a father, Achatz said he can see both sides of the argument.

"We want to accept young children into the restaurant. I take my kids to nice restaurants. But we also have 20 other people that have paid money to come experience a certain thing," said Achatz.

Achatz also tweeted a picture of two fish heads and "Definitely not baby food."

Diners pay $250 each and often wait for months for a reservation at Alinea.

(Copyright ©2014 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ban crying babies at restaurants?

• Options
    I don't see a problem with a restaurant as fancy and expensive not allowing infants.
    imageimage
                                  Audrey    05/13                                               Charlotte 08/10

Graydon 02/09
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've worked in some very nice fine dining restaurants and honestly I would never bring a baby to one and even now as a mom Id be really annoyed at someone who did. Even a regular upscale restaurant, if I'm paying a lot of money I want to enjoy my meal. If I'm a TGI Fridays than I would totally be sympathetic to a fellow mama who is dealing with a meltdown. I just think those parents were being selfish, not wanting to lose their reservation was more important than the needs of their child. You know they weren't there for the early bird special. The child was probably tired and was ready for bed. If you can afford at least a $500 meal you can afford a backup babysitter (off of care.com or another service that does last minute child care)
  • Options
    I bring my DDs everywhere with me.. Now if I were going to an upscale place like that.. Hell no, I would never bring them. DD1 has had a couple meltdowns at restraunts and it is the most unenjoyable thing ever.. Meal ruined. Either myself or DH would have to take her outside so everyone else could enjoy their meals. ( 1 year old)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    A restaurant shouldn't have to impose a blanket van-- parents should have the common sense to immediately step out when their kids act up. I took C to Fogo de Chao when he was 3 weeks old for our oldest son's birthday... BUT he slept the whole time and it was during lunch time, not dinner. I would have totally understood if I had been turned away or asked to leave.

On the other hand, if DH and I are spending $500+ on dinner I sure as hell expect people to keep their kids quiet-- or at home. I mean, I'm there to escape for an evening... If I wanted to hear crying babies I would have stayed home.
  • Options
    I am a little frustrated by this. I take A everywhere with me, because I make sure he doesn't disturb other people. I probably wouldn't risk taking him to a super high class restaurant, simply because I would want to unwind and relax if I was in such a place. But the idea of a blanket ban worries me... Where would we draw the line? And I don't think that it just applies to infants... I have been out with extended family members where their children (who seriously are old enough to know how too behave in public) will throw fits and scream and be rotten, and their parents do nothing about it... Night ruined, but not by my baby. I think that if anyone is acting out, regardless of age, they (or their parents) need to be held accountable. I hope this makes sense... Haha brought up a lot of hurt feelings due to my extended family fiasco. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    LolalipsyLolalipsy member
    edited January 2014
    I take E to a restaurant once if not twice a week. She's good and loves it. If she were to cry I would take her outside or to the bathroom and wouldn't subject other diners to her crying. That wouldn't be fair. As long as the parents do that I can't see the problem.

Edit. I should probably add that I only take her for lunch not dinner. However when I've been to Spain and Italy the babies are always with their parents for dinner. It's a much more relaxed and family orientated atmosphere and I think it's a shame we don't do this in the uk.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think the issue would be where you draw the line.  We bring J with us to restaurants but would never bring him to one of that quality. We would also have the common sense to take him out of a restaurant if he were misbehaving. Not all parents do, however, and where do you tell people they can't bring their babies? $10 a plate? $20 a plate? Let the restaurant decide and if so then can it really be made into law? 
  • Options
    I worked at a 5 diamond resort's fine dining outlet (least expensive meal was a pre fixe meal at $77). Restaurant didn't open until 4p, and since we were a family friendly resort, children were allowed (their pre fixe was $40) but banned after 8p. I wouldn't think twice about a fine dining restaurant with a child ban. If you're spending that much on a meal you shouldn't have to be bothered by someone else's child. That being said, I take Ab out often. Never to anything fancy than an Olive Garden and if she fusses, we step outside to calm her down. I left a diner before my meal once because she started screaming (gas) and I couldn't calm her. There is no reason to subject others to that.
  • Options
    I have to agree with others. We have taken DD to many restaurants; however we have treated ourselves to 2 fairly nice restaurants since her birth and would not think of bringing her to them. Had our sitter cancelled we simply would have dined somewhere else that was more appropriate for a baby. She's actually very good as she's a curious LO but you just never know with babies. That particular restaurant isn't so much about the food as it is the experience so I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if they banned babies.

• Options
    Not my idea of a fantastic time but if you had waited months for a reservation and then had no sitter what would you do? If the restaurant would reschedule you rather than have a baby come in that would seem to solve the problem. Now that everyone knows how much those parents pay for dinner I'd say all babysitting rates go up!
  • Options
    I take my kids out to a diner, TGIFridays, Applebees, etc.  That's about it! We've taught our boys how to behave in places like that since they were little. However, children are unpredictable, and no LO is immune to having a meltdown every now and then.  I'd never take the chance of bringing them to an upscale place, for all the reasons mentioned above.

The ONLY time I've brought them to a "fancy" restaurant is when my family went out for Easter. It was during the day, and extremely crowded with families (children included).  On a typical Saturday night I wouldn't do that.

Mommy of 3 beautiful boys!
    image.
  • Options
    If i was going to shell out $$$ for a nice dining experience... Hell NO!  I wouldn't bring my kid.  I'd stay home.  I don't mind taking her to the 99 or some other family friendly place.  Even then, I make sure she's content and speed up the dining process to reduce the likelihood that she'll melt down.

If parents used a little more common sense and didn't take their precious snowflakes with them to a nice restaurant then I'd say no to the restaurant ban... but that's not the case.  I wouldn't be offended if these restaurants had bans.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Sad that restaurants need to ban babies....the parents should have had some common sense.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"