December 2013 Moms
Options

Hospital bills....

So since my LO wasn't enrolled in medi-cal when he was born I received all his bills today from the hospital. It cost almost 8,000 for his stay and they charged for the nursery which he was only in for 3 hrs while I recovered (they didn't have enough staff for him to be with me in recovery which I wasn't to thrilled about). Not to mention this doesn't count his pediatric check ups while in the hospital or his circumcision.

So I was wondering if you don't mind sharing what was the cost of your LO being born? Vaginal vs csection (I was a csection)? And by area (I'm in Los Angeles county in ca)?

Re: Hospital bills....

• Options
    35k for the hospital stay, 8k for my doc. Had a c/s. Stayed 3 nights, no nursery time. 
  • Options
    I paid $900 for my hospital stay, but my insurance was charged $20k. Thank goodness for my insurance. I'm nervous about getting the bill for 10 days in NICU...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With insurance I paid $250 for everything. No idea what it would be without. I'm in Sacramento county.
    Daisypath - (d3qY)
    Lilypie - (ATx7)

• Options
    Maybe irrelevant but total MW care with pp and birth $3000. Las Vegas.

• Options
    I haven't even gotten a statement yet and LO was born Nov 30th... Hmmm.
  • Options
    No bills yet. You can grieve the costs with the hospital and, worst case scenario, work out a payment plan with them.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Options
    tyedyeme12tyedyeme12 member
    edited January 2014
    We pay doctor and hospital separately, but all together I believe it's close to $2500, $1k for doctor, $1500 for hospital. Not sure what insurance was billed.

Eta: I'm in Oklahoma on insurance from the state, as I'm a teacher.
    Eta x2: I looked and it was a little over 8000 for hospital and c section.

I'll end up paying $10--the remainder of the amount on our family deductible ($2500--we had a rough year and met it pretty early on). I'm not sure what the total cost is. We have BCBS Mass.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

So since my LO wasn't enrolled in medi-cal when he was born I received all his bills today from the hospital. It cost almost 8,000 for his stay and they charged for the nursery which he was only in for 3 hrs while I recovered (they didn't have enough staff for him to be with me in recovery which I wasn't to thrilled about). Not to mention this doesn't count his pediatric check ups while in the hospital or his circumcision.

So I was wondering if you don't mind sharing what was the cost of your LO being born? Vaginal vs csection (I was a csection)? And by area (I'm in Los Angeles county in ca)?

You know they will retroactivate his medi cal right?

Oh yes I already talked to the hospital and the pediatrician and they took his temporary medi-cal which I got activated on dec 26. But they said it is good for the whole month of December. I was on my dads insurance so all my costs were on that but LO wasn't covered. As far as I know they said I won't have to pay anything for LO care. I just thought it was a crazy amount considering I didn't use the nursery but 3 hrs and that was half the charges.
  • Options
    So far I have gotten a bill for $3500. I had a vaginal birth. Once I put DS2 on the insurance all of the bills will be covered.
  • Options
    I payed $500 excess on the insurance and they payed the rest apart from the pathology bills and epidural which was $1300 and I got $600 back from the government and insurance on those. That's for Aussie
  • Options
    I was a section and DS was in NiCU 3 days. Insurance was billed about 48k for everything. We are out of pocket 3400 plus 2400 for my OB (we installment paid that before birth as the OB office required).
  • Options
    35k csection 4 day stay. Have to pay 1,500
    Welcome Lily Anna!
    photo 1456712_10152106342897743_1211250038_nTB_zps917a6c9a.jpg
  • Options
    I have only gotten 1 bill so far for $27, I expect to pay about 1-2k though.
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • Options
    I got a bill for $12 - the telephone charge I'm in Canada

DS #1 born 12.3.13
    BFP #2 09.21.14 EDD: 06.06.15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't received my bill yet, but I can see my charges online. My insurance was billed $13k. Vaginal delivery with an epi and I only stayed in the hospital one night. My last delivery at this hospital was about the same. I think I paid $1,700 OOP last time, so I'm expecting the same this time around.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I havent seen any bills yet. But Ive met my out of pocket with just u/s and bloodwork. Really interested in seeing the cost though. Im in wisconsin,la crosse county
  • Options
    kerkmakerkma member
    edited January 2014
    I had a vaginal delivery, with an epidural and a 2 night stay.  The hospital charged $14,000, I am responsible for $150.  Also, my LO was in the NICU for one week following birth.  The hospital charged $19,000 for that, and I am responsible for $750. 

Edits for info. 

Team Pink! 

image image

• Options
    I just got done of the bills. OB is charging $3,900 for c/s and I have to pay $1050 of that, plus some other miscellaneous charges. Haven't gotten a bill for the hospital stay yet though.
  • Options
    SarahF20SarahF20 member
    edited January 2014
    I had a vaginal delivery, induced, 3 overnight stay. I am on my parents' insurance still and LO is on my husband's so we were billed separately. My portion was billed at $19,600 to insurance, they only allowed $8000 and I owe a $200 deductible. LO's portion was billed at $4000 (no nursery time, she was with me the whole stay) and insurance allowed $1700, all of which we owe as DH's family plan has a $5000 deductible.

ETA: I'm in Des Moines, Iowa.
    photo 3b8889a2-29d1-4e36-a8c8-89262b6154a2_zps44ee5850.png
  • Options
    peitri said:

With insurance I paid $250 for everything. No idea what it would be without. I'm in Sacramento county.

Im in san diego and I paid exactly tge same. I never received a bill to see the full cost.
  • Options
    28k total for csection and DDs stay for three nights. Not bad compared DS's delivery and NICU stint which totaled $428k!!!
    imageimageimage

Sebastian: March 3, 2010

2nd Tri Angel Baby: November 2012

McKenna: December 2, 2013

• Options
    About 8000 for me and 3000 for DS. I'm not sure what I will owe from this since it's still out to my insurances. I'm in Oklahoma.
  • Options
    In Chicago, had emergency c section, no nursery time, total was $18k, got a bill for $600. DH has really good insurance so that's all we have to pay luckily.

My sweet girl Lilijana Jane 12/16/13
    View Full Size Image 
  • Options
    Our insurance was charged a little over 20k for a vaginal delivery with 28 hours in the hospital total.  We paid $101.

• Options
    Kaiser insurance in Los Angeles.  I think I was supposed to pay $100 when I was admitted, but they never charged me at the door.  I don't think they will send me a bill though so that means $0. 
  • Options
    28K  for C/S and hospital stay. My insurance paid 11K and we didn't have to pay anything. The only thing we are responsible for is $250 for the house pediatrician since ours didn't go to the hospital. I may fight it though, depending on if I have the energy. 
                                                                Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

Met 9/2001
    Engaged 3/15/2006
    Married 5/19/2007
    DD 12/12/13
    DS 6/6/2016

M/C 9/29/18 @ 6w
     BabyFruit Ticker
    Our little tie breaker due 8/1/19!  <3

• Options
    I was pretty annoyed with the epidural bill. I had surgery a couple if years ago and the anesthetist bill was about $350 and that's for him to be there the whole time. This guy pops in for 10mins and its $1000!
  • Options
    $11,000 for my ob, c/s, and 4 night hospital stay afterward. My share of that was $1400. Ozzy's 3 week NICU stay was $93,000, which didn't include labs or other testing. Our share of that was another $1500.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• Options
    I've only gotten the bill for her hearing test which was $375 and I'm waiting to see if insurance will cover it (they should). I had to pay a $50 copay at the beginning of my pregnancy & after that insurance is supposed to pay 100%. I did get a letter the other day saying my insurance had approved her NICU stay.
  • Options
    Holy crapface. What a range in bill prices. I had a section plus 3 day stay so its interesting seeing the potential cost of that... (Canada here so we don't know)

• Options
    Wow. My jaw is on the floor at all these charges. I haven't gotten a bill yet. Now I'm terrified. I had no idea NICU could be so expensive!!! LO wasn't in one but holy cow. She did spend a few hours in the nursery, I wonder if I will be charged for that. It never occurred to me that they would charge for that! I am from PA. Wonder when this will roll my way...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Our total for pregnancy, c-section, baby, hospital stay and all the the little stuff in between was over 33K.   We owe a little under 4K out of pocket.

ETA: We already paid almost half of it during my pregnancy because of a payment plan with my doctor.
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersimage
  • Options
    They charge for everything they can. I'm glad I didn't get the epi this time, saved me a grand out of pocket just for that.
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • Options

They charge for everything they can. I'm glad I didn't get the epi this time, saved me a grand out of pocket just for that.

A grand for an epi? I havent gotten that bill yet. Oh hell it was worth it even if it costs me a grand!

Yeah that shit is expensive. I would have paid it too, but nooooo. Had to go and have a super fast labor. Thanks kid.
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • Options
    We were billed $1800 for vaginal natural birth/personal midwife/family private room (2 days)/ and food costs. Plus they sent us home with baby clothes, duvet and pillow set, and some other cloth bag thingy. Insurance made us pay it all upfront and said they'd reimburse us in full. A month and half later still no reimbursement. :/ I'm in Eastern Europe. No one believes that Americans pay and are charged so much to have a baby. People here think it's ridiculous! I also had a water birth available to me if I wanted, no extra charge.
  • Options
    Haven't gotten a bill yet, but we paid $800 out of pocket for DS1's birth. Same hospital, same situation so I assume this time will be comparable.

The insurance paid a ridiculous amount, though. I'm in Dallas.

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Options
    lp0lp0 member
    I haven't received a bill yet but I am responsible for only a deductible of $250 for a vaginal birth, no epi, 2 night stay.

I did get a bunch of bills for all the growth ultrasounds I got those last two weeks and they totaled over $5k. The insurance paid out like a quarter of that and I'm not responsible for any of it.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    We paid $39, which was the remaining portion for our room, after insurance covered the rest...I'm honestly not sure what the costs are for delivery/care etc., I'm in Canada so we don't even see a bill
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"