Breastfeeding
Options

Pumping colostrum

Hi again!
It's been 6 days since my daughter was born. Bf has got off to a rocky start. I'm still waiting for my milk to come in. On an LC's advice I hired a hosp grade pump yesterday and the first try was a success. I got almost 15mls between both breasts.
2 hrs later it wasn't as successful and I got maybe 1ml 2 tops.
2 hrs later I got nothing.
It's now 2 hrs later again & I'm getting a couple of drops only.
Do I keep trying every 2 hrs in an effort to increase my production?
I'm going to try meet with an LC tmr but in the meantime any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Pumping colostrum

• Options
    And where oh where is my milk :(
  • Options
    Yes, keep pumping every 2 to stimulate production, but also put baby to breast as much as possible and lots of skin to skin. Hand expression works better in getting colostrum out, and massage/ compressions while pumping can help increase output. My lo was fed via syringe in the early days, so I would pump, then hand express. Definitely still try to see an IBCLC.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.
    I'm pumping instead of nursing because I've flat nipples and LO has struggled with that from the beginning. I use nipple shields to feed her & was encouraged by the hosp to give her a supplement of the bottle. A decision I greatly regret. I feel they should have encouraged me to pump first instead of formula.
    My poor girl is all confused. She nurses off me with a nipple shield and she gets hardly anything. Then she gets formula & it flows out.
    She's a very very sleepy baby and that's another reason I pumped as she wasn't staying awake to feed no matter how much I coaxed her.
    Really hope my milk comes in tmr and that we'll be able to drop the formula and just nurse.
  • Options
    Thank u. U just gave me hope
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"