Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

High pitched noise when burping

Hello! My little guy is 10 days old and was born at 36 weeks. Sometimes when feeding (using bottle, have to pump) him he might start to cough on the milk and when I go to burp him he makes a high pitch noise. Almost like a wheezing sound. Usually only once or twice then continues breathing normal. I'm not sure if he is choking on milk or it's just a funny noise. I'm scares me every time. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Re: High pitched noise when burping

• Options
    Babies make funny noises:) my dd does something like that. Maybe just tickled/irritated baby's throat?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My baby does that with a bottle. He doesn't do it with the breast. Pedi said it is very normal.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    CDMay2006CDMay2006 member
    edited December 2013
    It is probably totally normal is your case, but we have to feed lo in modified positions (breast and bottle) to avoid him aspirating milk into his lungs. Bc of our experience, the whistling seems like a red flag to me, but like pp said, probably nothing, just a noisy baby :)
    eta: i think i heard lo make this sound and I'd file it under "bizarre sounds babies make under normal circumstances" :)
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    My LO has done that and more crazy sounds. It freaked me out, as my daughter never did something similar but the pedi said it was normal.
  • Options
    Babies make all kinds of scary noises. I never realized this was going to be so prevalent. My daughter is noisy pretty much all the time. She sounds like she is snoring while sleeping and makes high pitched sounds like that too sometimes when burping.
    I am learning that this is something we will have to deal with. It is one stage of infancy that I will not miss. It has me constantly worried.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! You have made me a little more relaxed about this.
  • Options
    My little girl is 6 weeks and at her one month appointment she happened to make that same noise. The nurse said, "Oh, someone's got a burp!" Maybe 15 seconds later she let out a HUGE burp. Turns out they make that noise when they have to burp! I never knew that myself but it's good little piece of info ;)
  • Options
    My baby does that too and we also pump. I'm not sure, but my guess is that he's just trying to catch up a bit on breathing and swallowing. He tends to try to eat too fast so I take lots of breaks to burp him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"