January 2014 Moms

Storms and labor

Didn't we have a discussion WAYYYY back in time about how storms have been known to bring on labor?  Did we ever come to a conclusion about what it was that might trigger it?  I know here in the Dallas area we are suppose to get hit hard with temps dropping tonight and then freezing rain and such starting tomorrow afternoon.  I also think I felt my first contraction just now so it has me wondering... and I know these topics are always fun to discuss.

Re: Storms and labor

• My birthing class instructor told us that the drop in barometric pressure can bring on labor, so you are more likely to go into labor during a rain or snowstorm.  This led to my paranoid DH and I buying a new car with AWD....
                        Nathaniel Robert born 1.16.2014

• I know snow storms have an affect on going into labor. Something with the barometric pressure. My water broke with my daughter the morning of a two day snow storm. When I arrived at the hospital there were no rooms available, I had to wait in the waiting room for a hour. The place was crazy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh great, if that's true then I wonder if I'll make it to the hospital at all. Snow storms often bring road closures where I live and the hospital is an hour and a half away.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think maybe we could ask Dec13 moms in MN today and tomorrow how many went into labor from the storm going through there right now... ;)

We're getting a drastic drop in temps right now ourselves, but I'm not in labor right now. (going from temp of 30 down to 20 with windchills below 0)
    ********************************************************************************************************

DS1 born 11/3/06   *   DS2 born 3/29/08   *   DD born 3/15/11  

Scarlett Mae born 1/14/14                         Our family is now complete!

• We are suppose to be high 70's to 80's here today and down to the 20's and 30's tomorrow.  But, if it ices like its suppose to, I can enjoy my Friday working from home - and that I am A-OK with!

• The day my water broke with DD (almost 2 weeks early) there was a big rain storm coming. L&d was packed that night! After my c section the next day they didn't have a room for me right away. I always wonder if the storm brought on my labor or if it was just a coincidence;)
  • I had my first when a hurricane was coming through so it happened to me!
    Alexis 9.1.06 * Jaxson 3.17.08 * Tessa 2.8.14

• oh that's nice... I must have missed this whole convo! 
    Good thing I live in south texas, so there really isn't too many of these climate changes... I bet if it does decide to ice over, it will be the day I do go into labor and all the damn roads will be covered in ice!  JOOOOOY 

• Interesting...we're facing our first winter storm tomorrow...great. :)
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I believe this has to be real to some degree as well as full moons. I broke my arm when I was a child, and everytime there was a full moon or a rainstorm it would hurt for years after...now not anymore.

Too bad, the worst I can get here is rain. Seriously it will be 81 degrees all week long. And that may sound nice except I'm so over the heat, at least 60 or 70 please.

• Interesting. Where I am we aren't getting snow but the top part of my state is. We have rain and fog and i can feel more contractions than usual. 
     ***********************************************************************************************
      blogbutton badge!!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I have never heard this with storms but I have heard about a full moon and labor! The next full moon is December 17... It will be interesting to see shat happens!
  • @wedbliss5 I'm also in the Dallas area, let's hope for not too many sleet/ice storms!  People already suck at driving around here. I can only imagine being in labor and directing (yelling) at DH how to drive over icy bridges
    photo 750f3c1a-2ade-403a-a0f5-dc1db83a8c08_zps3b41b396.jpgphoto 823a6982-64ae-4aeb-8830-c03461e6d517_zps5e065d1f.jpgphoto 53bf98f1-e49e-4c67-acd7-61db3c981d79_zps7cd2176b.jpg
  • I have never heard this with storms but I have heard about a full moon and labor! The next full moon is December 17... It will be interesting to see shat happens!

This is all I've ever heard.  I know that drops in barometric pressure bring on headaches for me, which was wonderful on Saturday night.  But I've never heard that storms bring on labour.  Full moons however, make our L&D very full.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• That's funny. My family and I were just talking about that and taking bets on when I would go into labor. I think the consensus was Dec. 17th because it will be a full moon (and I will be 37 weeks)

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We had a snowstorm last night here in Denver. I had my 36 week checkup today and the OB told me without me asking that labor and delivery is packed today, and that usually happens when there is a big storm like last night. Something about the barometric pressure!
  • I was wondering about that too. What about full moons?

@osuwifey09 I think I am just to your east, so you all can keep the ice. Thanks :).
    AnnRenee 1/21/03
    Luke 12/30/2013
  • @KrystalCrockett, when we went to our Infant Care Class at the hospital the instructor said that changes in barometric pressure and/or full moons bring on the labor.

We are supposed to get snow tomorrow/tomorrow night, too..

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Well shit. Our high Fri? 79. Our high Sun? 44. Yeah there's going to be some barometric shifts in the nxt 10 days round here.
  • I think maybe we could ask Dec13 moms in MN today and tomorrow how many went into labor from the storm going through there right now... ;)

We're getting a drastic drop in temps right now ourselves, but I'm not in labor right now. (going from temp of 30 down to 20 with windchills below 0)

Full fledged snow storm in MN and nothing exciting to report! Maybe of I was closer to my due date, but I'm hoping I don't have to deal with bad roads when I do go into labor!

• This has nothing to do with storms, but with nature. My mom believes when it is high tide that is the time women give birth. I have no idea where she heard it from, but she said it has to do with the gravitational pull. O_o
  • Awesome. We're expecting an ice storm tomorrow night. Guess we better fill up the gas tank and pack up our bags just in case :p
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"