November 2011 Moms
Options

Still not talking much?

DS still isn't saying much. He knows a lot of words but does not use them on a regular basis at all. He pretty much only says cup, up, cartoon on a daily basis. He understands everything that we say to him & he makes sure to spew us what he wants if he can't/doesn't say it.
Ex. He knows apple/applesauce but rarely says it. He was saying "hi dad" everytime DH got home, now he hasn't said it for a month.

At his checkup, pedi said to write down every word he's ever said & see if we can add to it in a month's time. She told he about her dd taking late (3ish?). She gave me the info to set up a speech eval if I wanted too, but didn't seem really concerned?

I'm probably gonna set up an evaluation just for peace of mind. Does anyone else have a "late" talker?

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Still not talking much?

• Options
    Same thing over here basically. DS is getting better though. He tries to say just about everything we ask him to say, but he will rarely repeat it. I did have him tested and he was pretty much on track. A little lacking in the physical development (by age, he was a month or 2 behind). If you get your LO tested through a state funded program, it doesn't cost anything for the testing. There's an intake appt., followed up by an assessment appt at a later date. 

It's hard because our only experience with milestones is with our older child who was far beyond where DS is now. I was also concerned about DS's hearing since he had ear problems his whole first year until tubes were placed in January. He was hardly walking before that, then that day he took 3 steps on his own. 

In short, keep working with him on speech at home, and go for the testing if you'd like to get another opinion about his progress. It certainly doesn't hurt to know more!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If you want to go forth with an eval you could check early intervention in your state.  I know my state that early intervention is only for 0-3 yearolds.  The eval is free and if he qualifies, I believe the services are free as well.  That being said, I have had a few cousins who didn't talk at all until almost 3 yearsold and as soon as they started talking they progressed really rapidly and wer caught up with their peers before entering preschool at 4 years old.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD was diagnosed with a mild speech delay at her 23m check-up because she was saying less than 20 words and not using two word sentences. We have a follow up appointment in January to see how much progress she has made and we will make a decision from there. She has started saying more words in the last few weeks but she is still not putting words together so we will see what happens.
  • Options
    DS1 has been in speech therapy for about 6 months now.  We go through the state's early intervention program, and it costs us $10 a month since our insurance won't cover it since we self-referred instead of waiting for a doctor to refer.  DS1 has about 40 words now (none 6 months ago) but isn't using 2 word sentences.  DH was very wary of early intervention because he thought they would try to diagnose DS1.  Now, he is a huge proponent of it.  

The speech therapist also discovered what might be a fine motor skill delay in DS1 and I plan on talking to his case manager at his next appointment.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, ladies! Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Bump kept taking me to Nov. '10. :(

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, ladies! Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Bump kept taking me to Nov. '10. :(
    I've been having the same problem. I also couldn't post. I finally had to stop using IE and use Chrome instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"