Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

just turned one and i have a million questions!

My daughter just turned one less then a week ago and I thought this was when it would be easier but I'm at a loss! How do you transition from formula to milk? Also, do i turn her carseat around now? What are the new regulations for the carseats? What is the best way to really introduce walking? She stands on her own but when we try to walk with her she picks up her legs and kicks. Uggggh. Please help moms!

Re: just turned one and i have a million questions!

• Options
    Transition to WCM - do it slowly... we did 1 oz WCM and 5 oz of formula for a couple of days, then increased to 2 oz WCM and 4 oz of formula for another few days, and so on and so forth. It took us about 2 weeks but I was being cautious and still taking advantage of all the nutrients in formula. It could be a much faster transition if you want it to be.

It is now recommended that you keep the carseat RF until 2 years old. While it is law to do so until 1, it is much better to so it until they are older as it is the safest position. Also, make sure that you are keeping tabs on the limits... you don't want to exceed the limits on a carseat to keep the baby RF. That is actually more dangerous than turning them around.

No need to introduce your daughter into walking. She'll do it when she is ready.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    We're transitioning from breast milk to whole milk now, but it's really the same concept as PP said... We're doing 1oz whole milk + 3oz breast milk in her straw cups this week.  Then we'll do 2oz + 2oz of each next week, and 3oz whole milk + 1 oz breast milk the 3rd week.  I'm hoping she'll do well with this, and will take whole milk at daycare by the end of December.

You should keep her rear facing until at least 2 years old, but really should just leave her this way until she outgrows the rear-facing requirements of her convertible seat.  It's the safest way for them to ride.

You don't need to "introduce" walking.  She'll do it when she's ready.  If you have a push toy that might help her get the idea.  Otherwise, a laundry basket flipped over is great to push around!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    1. I transitioned my DD cold turkey with no problems. Some people like to mix a little milk with formula for a couple weeks before going 100% milk. There is no "right" way. Do what you (or your pedi) thinks is best for your own child.

2. It's OK to turn around at one year old as long as she has also reached the height and weight minimums listed on the instructions that came with your car seat. Some people choose to wait until two years old (or older) even if the child has reached the minimum height and weight. Up to you. I switched DD at one, and we will switch DS at one as well, but both my kids are very big for their age.

3. You don't need to "introduce" walking, especially if your child is progressing normally through her gross motor milestones. She will naturally do it on her own time. You can certainly encourage her by doing what you have been doing, but she won't walk until she is ready, period.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Please don't turn your LO until at least 2! Size has nothing to do with safety, all children reach skeletal maturity at the same time,. A 25 lb 1 year old and a 16 lbs 1 tear old still have an unfused spine. The vertebrae are not one solid ring around their spinal column until between much later. That can cause the spine to stretch further than the 1/2" and up to 1.5", leading to internal decapitation in the event of an accident. Making them over 500x safer rearfacing.
    The AAP and the NHTSA recommend 2 as the bare minimum for forward facing, ideally as close to 4 as possible. Most convertible seats rear face until 40 lbs / 40", a few even longer. Please please please, for the sake of your sweet baby do some real research on this. Car seats for the Littles, the car seat lady, American academy of pediatrics, NHTSA are all great places to start.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    hmontty said:
    1. I transitioned my DD cold turkey with no problems. Some people like to mix a little milk with formula for a couple weeks before going 100% milk. There is no "right" way. Do what you (or your pedi) thinks is best for your own child.

2. It's OK to turn around at one year old as long as she has also reached the height and weight minimums listed on the instructions that came with your car seat. Some people choose to wait until two years old (or older) even if the child has reached the minimum height and weight. Up to you. I switched DD at one, and we will switch DS at one as well, but both my kids are very big for their age.

3. You don't need to "introduce" walking, especially if your child is progressing normally through her gross motor milestones. She will naturally do it on her own time. You can certainly encourage her by doing what you have been doing, but she won't walk until she is ready, period.
    I really encourage you to do some research on extended rear facing.  A larger child still has the same bone structure of a smaller, same aged child and a skeleton at 1 is not ossified nearly enough to withstand the momentum of a crash if forward facing.  Your child is over 500% safer rear facing until at least two, and still much safer (thought the number isn't quite as high) for every year he remains rear facing beyond that.  The FB group Car Seats for the Littles is excellent at explaining the benefits and there are numerous studies and crash test videos that demonstrate the difference.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Please do not switch her FF. Check out https://youtu.be/Q8gU9zzCGA8
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options
    I have five kids
    DD1 will be 8 Christmas Eve
    DD2 is six
    DS will be 3 in February
    DD3 is almost sixteen months
    DD4 is 10 months.
    The only one who is not rear facing is DD1 and that is because she is too big. 
    We are moving back to Canada in February and DD2 will have to go Forward Facing as she is to big for any rear facing Canadian car seats.
    I rear face to a minimum of four and then they are given the option
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"