September 2013 Moms
Options

Nipple confusion

My 2 month daughter recently has been refusing the nipple by crying and won't latch on, but I will try again a little later and she will then take it. I give her a bottle maybe 1-2 Max on a rare basis, only when my mom watches her and that's like once every other week. And her doctor told me to feed her formula to help with weight gain so I do that every other day, because I'm worried she will get use to a bottle. But have I already ran into that? How can I prevent that? Or is it that she isn't hungry at that time? I feed her every two hours

Re: Nipple confusion

• Options
    My LO is 12 weeks and eats every 3-4 hours during the day. We swap between bottle and breast with no issues. Babies can get frusterated if let down is too slow, since it's instant with a bottle, and too fast of a let down can also cause issues.

For bf'ing, make sure you are eating and drinking plenty to keep your supply up. If I was in your camp I would talk to an LC. Good luck.
  • Options
    I will try that burping thing. Yeah I didn't think it could possibly be nipple confusion since I don't use bottle often. And now that I think about it she ate at 3 hours now. But I kept trying to do every two just cause she is so small still. She just now hit 8 pounds but developmentally wise she's on target they just think she will be petite. So that's why I thought it was nipple confusion
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Gas bubble, and it comes out one end or the other. He will latch then unlatch but still root around like he is hungry. He will burp and may spit up, or fart, and then he will latch and stay.
    TTC since October 22, 2012
    BFP January 11, 2013
    Kellan James Patrick was born September 28, 2013
  • Options
    It may be that she's not hungry, too. Try feeding on demand vs on a schedule and see if that helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Also make sure to do a paced bottle feeding.  
  • Options

I agree with @Skalbrecht, sometimes the let down it too slow so LO gets frustrated. I would add to the suggestion making sure your nipple size on the bottle is the smallest available so the flow is similar to a nipple. Also try some booby-foreplay before BF like a hot shower or massage to help the let down possibly be a little faster. Then just stick with it...

I switched between two different nipple sizes and a nipple just fine with no confusion.

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"