July 2014 Moms
Options

Ideas for announcing at Xmas

Hi all! We live in Mass and all our family is in the Midwest and we are going home for Christmas. I'm trying to think of fun ways to announce and ideas are welcome!!

Ideas so far:

Picture frame for Grandma/Grandpa with u/s picture

Calendar with due date circled/highlighted- fun stuff to make it stand out

Give my b-i-l who is 10 yrs old a tshirt that says "best uncle ever" and watch him try to figure it out

Saying grace at dinner and slipping in a prayer about the tiny human

Any other ones???!!!
Thanks in advance!!

Re: Ideas for announcing at Xmas

• Options
    I like the idea of giving BIL a t-shirt and seeing if he figures it out! That would be fun.
  • Options
    I'm going with the shirt idea for my brother (he's 7). I already ordered a from cafepress :) I can't wait to see everyone else react to his shirt!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    singingirl96singingirl96 member
    edited November 2013
    I like the prayer idea. That way everyone is quiet and paying attention. But I would pray first and then just before saying "amen", slip in... "Oh, and one more thing , thank you for our little baby growing in ...'s belly." That would throw everyone for a loop.
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    You could bring a plate of cookies and hide a bottle or pacifier inside with a note that says "surprise!" Whoever finds it will certainly be loud about it, and everyone will figure it out together.
  • Options
    I plan on hiding an ultrasound picture in my mom's gift, and so she will flip out. 

Then, at DH's Christmas, I think I will put pictures of our wedding, family pic at the wedding and an ultrasound pic in a frame for granny.
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

• Options
    We're telling my family on Christmas Eve. We're flying from OR to NJ, so I was thinking of getting a bag from the airport and telling them we picked up something cool at the airport. Inside I was going to out a onesie that says something like "I love my grandparents" and an ultrasound picture (assuming I get one at my first appointment next week)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I found a bib that says "I have the best Grandmother" and I'm going to add it to my mom's gift basket I made and watch her freak out. This is her first grand baby and we've been trying for 2 years!
  • Options
    I like the prayer idea. That way everyone is quiet and paying attention. But I would pray first and then just before saying "amen", slip in... "Oh, and one more thing , thank you for our little baby growing in ...'s belly." That would throw everyone for a loop.
    This! Prayer idea is great, what a fun way to make sure everyone is paying attention and gosh will there be lots of great dinner conversation!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thank you for all the exciting ideas you've shared! Sounds like everyone's reveal is going to be wonderful!
  • Options
    We made a onesie that had "Baby Lynn" (our last name) on the front and then 2014 on the back with iron on letters. At a family gathering, we had the oldest niece bring it down and ask people what it was. It took a few seconds before they put it together, but it was fun!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    We had already told my MIL, but at her Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, she broke the news to everyone else at the end of the prayer. It was perfect. My FIL said grace, while we were all holding hands, but right before he finished, MIL said "And thank you, Lord, for the little one that will be coming into our family soon." When we all let go of the hands, everyone was looking at each person around the room, but DH and I were smiling so hard, it was pretty easy to figure out. It was amazing!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

“When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.”

- J.M. Barrie Peter Pan

married on the sweetest day 10.20.12

Chicken - 07.08.06 | Bubsy - 02.24.09 | Sunshine - 07.16.14

I have died every day waiting for you. Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years. And all along I believed I would find you, time has brought your heart to me. I have loved you for a thousand years. I'll love you a thousand more.
  • Options
    The t-shirt idea is cute!  When we told my parent's about DD, I gift wrapped a baby picture frame and where the picture goes I put a note that said "picture coming April 2011".  We will be telling my parents on Christmas Eve, so I need to figure out something different this time.  On Christmas Day I'm going to have DD wear a shirt that says "I'm going to be a big sister!" and just have her wear it around and see how long it takes people to catch on!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    I wanted to wait until Christmas but didn't. I plan to do a shirt idea for the whole family, but for my parents, I got an ornament and gave it to them early that says "future grandparents". I gave it to them at dinner and said I wanted them to enjoy it before Christmas.
  • Options
    That's so funny - we're from Mass and moved to the Midwest, so we'll be making the opposite trek for Christmas this year!! :)

Our plan, so far, is that we'll be arriving late at night on Saturday night and staying with my mom. Sundays (esp right before the holidays) are big days at my mom's - everyone comes over for breakfast, works on holiday baking & prep, hangs out, etc. I found a shirt that says "Bun in the Oven!" and I'm planning to wear it under a sweatshirt. Then, when everyone's over and settled in, I'll take off the sweatshirt and see how long it takes for anyone to say anything...

It might be a while - I got 2 black eyes playing softball last summer and my stepdad spent an hour talking to me in the kitchen without noticing.... It should be amusing whatever happens... 

image image 

• Options
    EmilyAndy2013EmilyAndy2013 member
    edited November 2013
    We're planning on telling our parents and siblings at Christmas.  On my DH's side, this will be the 9th grandchild so we'll probably just announce it.  On my side, though, this will be the first grandchild AND first great-grandchild.  We got books from the Little Critters series called "Just Grandpa and Me" and "Just Grandma and Me" and we found another book about aunts for my sister.  We'll wrap those up and give them as an "extra" Christmas present that they open at the same time!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Love the book idea! Super cute!! I've thought about the shirt thing as well- might do that for the MIL since we have not figured out what to do to tell her yet.
  • Options
    I ordered a couple "My First Christmas" stockings that each of the new grandmas will open for next year. Not sure if we will have an US by then, but if we do, a copy will be in the stocking. We can't wait to see their faces!
  • Options
    We bought a personalized onesie that says I <3 grammy and papa. But also discussed an u/s gift.
  • Options
    Oh, and my aunt had made napkin rings that said "I'm not here this year but I will be next year" to announce her oldest
  • Options
    We had DS wear a shirt that says "This boy is getting promoted to big brother" at his birthday party.  Took some people awhile to figure it out.  Otherwise, we told our family when we were all eating dinner together.  Just felt natural.
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Options

for my IL's, I'm getting a picture album with the title grandchildren on the front.  I'm going to add a picture of each of their grandkids in age order.  My SIL is due same day as me so I was going to add her U/S pic (they know about her already) and then slip mine in there too.

For my parents, I think I'm just texting them a pic of my 3 kids holding the U/S pic.  I rather tell them that way rather in person.  Give them some time to react in their own way and then call me.  They thought we were done at 3, so # 4 is going to get mixed feelings.

DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    At Thanksgiving, DH made a toast right before we ate and said "We wanted to let you all know that next year we will need a high chair at this table!"

We got the reaction on video and it was classic.

That would work well at Christmas as well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We just moved into a house (from a small apt.) and had already claimed Christmas morning breakfast and coffee bar with close family... It was supposed to be a "welcome to our new home, this is what we plan on doing every year" kind of get together, and now we get to share the news at it as well! We already told my mom, my aunt, and his aunt, but we were going to get a bunch of "grandma" themed gifts for mil and let everyone guess as she opens her presents! The best part was that at thanksgiving she was telling all the family "I guess i won't be getting grandchildren any time soon, they're gonna make me wait!" And now she'll get her favorite present of all. We're really excited :o)
  • Options
    I wish we lived closer to family so we could announce at ours. For my MIL I think we are going to let her try and figure it out. I ordered a Red Sox shirt that says "fan on deck" so we will see.
  • Options
    My mom (who already knows) asked what I want for Christmas and I said a pregnancy body pillow. I might open that in front of all the extended family that doesn't know. Just a thought for right now. I LOVE THIS THREAD!
  • Options
    Doing the same as tylifer and having both of my parents open a last present together. This is my first and I'm the only child so this is their first grandkid :)
    They always and to this day call me Pooh so I got a I <3 Grandma Winnie the Pooh bib and just another one with a big ol Winnie on the front (Couldn't find any Pooh Grandpa bibs, dangit).
    Plan on putting our u/s picture in it as well in a frame that says "Love at First Sight"
    Then I plan on busting off a hoodie or vest, showing a "Snow Baby" shirt underneath with a tiny little snowman graphic in the belly area
    As for the rest of my side of the family, we'll just let the news spread!

As for the Hubs- I'm letting him decide how he wants us to tell his side, he's yet to figure anything out, lol

Stoked <3

Anniversary

Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm wrapping an ultrasound picture as a gift for my mom.

Visit My Twin Life 
  • Options
    We already told our parents and siblings. We have a 5yo DS and an 11mo DD, so we knew family would be more shocked than initially excited. We just had DD wear a "Big Sister" shirt and waited for family to notice. It was priceless :).

At Christmas we'll probably just have DD wear the shirt again.
  • Options
    I was going to do the U/S pic but after a search decided on a family group photo with the camera set to video record without the family knowing, count 1, 2, 3 as though the person (who is in on it) is about to take the pic and then announcing we are pregnant to catch everyone's reactions on video! I hope that wasn't too complicated-sounding ;)
  • Options
    I love love love the prayer idea. This is our first and we had been trying for over 4yrs... and became certified foster parents this last year with intentions to adopt... So I think that will work really well! Guess I'll be saying the Christmas dinner prayer this year!

For my in laws we plan to wrap up the fruit that corresponds to the week we are on. Then have a note in the bottom that says "I may only be the size of a ___ but I love you already" or something similar. Then for all DH siblings we haven't decided because we won't see them at Christmas so I'll probably just call them.
  • Options

To tell DD I am going to buy her a shirt that says, "this girl has been promoted to big sister" and give it to her a few days before Christmas. Also give her an U/S picture that says "I can't wait to meet you!" On Christmas am I will have her wear the shirt to surprise my brothers and stepdad.

For my dad and his family I am going to make a Christmas card that on the front says something like "Sorry, we ordered your present but it won't be here in time for Christmas" and then on the inside will be a picture of my belly with a tag that says "Don't Open Until July 2014". I have to pass these ideas by DH first, though.

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
    BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

• Options
    I think all the ideas are great, I especially like the prayer idea!

We told immediate family on thanksgiving, we gathered everyone for a picture and my DH said on the count to three everyone say "A's pregnant!" We were actually recording a video. I think I've watched the video 100 times, I love looking at everyone's reactions. I'm really happy we did it that way!
  • Options
    My husband and I have Santa & Mrs. Clause outfits that we wear for our young cousins on both sides of the family. At Thanksgiving we were with my side of the family. After handing out candy canes and reading a Christmas story he stood up and announced that he had one more present for everyone...that Baby Claus was on its way! I think everyone saw it coming (aunts, uncles, & grandparents had been asking all week!!), but it was still really fun :) I imagine we'll do the same for his side of the family.
  • Options
    I love the Christmas card "sorry your present isn't here yet" card!! Keep the ideas flowing!!
  • Options
    For DH's parents I bought a bib that says "Littlest Steelers Fan" and I'm going to write "arriving July 2014" underneath that. His dad is going to flip! :) for my parents, I ordered a wine bottle label from Etsy that says "we're preggers! Congrats, you're going to be grandparents!" They are going to be over the moon excited. I wanted to do gifts they could open as a couple and those two things are something they both love...football for his parents and wine for mine :)
  • Options
    We told my family at Thanksgiving. Put DD in a shirt that says "awesome BIG sister", and waited. My mom was reading her shirt and said "what the heck does THAT mean??" Really, mom??? I had to say "I'm pregnant!" Before it finally clicked lmao
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options

@AMcLaws, that's too funny! That would totally be my Mom. We just found out that when we're staying at my FIL's, that Sunday, about 20-30 of the extended family are all coming over b/c we'll be home in the Midwest for Christmas. It'll be perfect because the day before we're giving my BIL a shirt that says "World's most awesome Uncle". He's only 10 so we're thinking he's going to be very confused; then he can wear it on Sunday and it will be fun to watch everyone start to get it.

• Options
    We bought DD a big sister t shirt. I'm going to wrap it up and have my mom help her open that one. We'll take pictures while they do to catch her reaction.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"