December 2011 Moms

First ear infection

Alex has had a cold about 2 weeks ago and while the runny nose went away, he never really stopped coughing. Mostly after laying down for a while and I could hear it rattling in his chest. 2 nights ago he woke up at 4 am and started throwing up foamy slime (ew) and couldn't get back to sleep. So I took him to the pedi to rule out pneumonia and she found a double ear infection instead. He has never been sick, aside from a normal cold, and it's his first time having to take antibiotics. So far he seems to not have any side effects which is great. He finally STTN again last night and is acting normal now, so I think we are through the worst of it. Poor baby! But yay for being healthy for almost 2 whole years. :-)
DS born 12/2011
DD born 03/2014

Re: First ear infection

• Wow that's amazing! Way to go, Alex, for being healthy! Antibiotics kick DS's butt. Literally, he gets horrible diaper rash, but that's it. Hope Alex continues to feel better!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Glad he is turning the corner and feeling better!

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Wow! I can't believe that this is his first ear infection. YAY for being healthy for so long!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Glad to hear he's feeling better and can't believe that this is his first!  DD had tubes before she was 17 months and DS has probably had 3-4 ear infections and croup multiple times!  

• . Poor baby! Glad he is doing better now though!

We have still not had any ear infections here, but DS has had to take an antibiotic once when he was around 15-16 mo old when he had borderline pneumonia.

Just recently, though, he has had similar to what you have described. Runny nose & cough, wheras the runny nose part has seemed to go away, but the cough seems to be lingering. Only really making an appearance when he's sleeping or just waking up. I'm hoping that goes away soon! I've been putting off his flu shot til I knew he was better. Right now we're just planning to get it for him when he goes in for his 2 yr check up coming up.

My 2 December boys

• arnold94 said:
    Glad to hear he's on the mend.  I'm impressed that he's been well for so long!  You have to share your secrets!  DS was one ear infection away from tubes last winter and I'm crossing my fingers that he's outgrown the need for them now.  And each infection (both single and double) came with a round of antibiotics.  Thankfully DS never had any reaction to them but I hated giving him so many at such a young age.  
    I am not sure if there are any secrets, ha! I never used any hand sanitizer or shopping cart cover etc., because I wanted him to be exposed to some germs, in order to hopefully build a good immune system. I am also a SAHM, so until September he only was around other kids about 1-2 times a week at playdates (he started a Mother's Day Out thing twice a week in September). I am sure that helped a lot. 

@Jen4033, I hope your DS will stop coughing soon! 
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Just saw this after I posted about Anthony's first ear infection! Poor babies! How is he doing with the ear drops?? I'm dreading doing it another 6 days he HATES them. And of course it's 4 drops per ear lol.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just saw this after I posted about Anthony's first ear infection! Poor babies! How is he doing with the ear drops?? I'm dreading doing it another 6 days he HATES them. And of course it's 4 drops per ear lol.
    He doesn't get any ear drops, thank goodness! He would hate that for sure. Just the oral antibiotics and he's finally not fighting me to take them anymore! I hope Anthony feels better soon!
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Thank goodness for no ear drops. They are horrible. 2 man job for sure. The only good thing about gtubes is that I never have to fight with giving meds. Just stick it in the tube and we're done!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"