High-Risk Pregnancy

Pregnant with #2 - Ladies with hypertension please help.

I was on this board last Dec-Feb during my 3rd trimester with DS due to hypertension and was on bed rest.  I just found out we are expecting #2. With DS, I was placed on medication at 30 weeks due to uncontrollable hypertension and was induced at 38 weeks. I was prescribed Labetalol. I have been off of it since DS was born, however I had my blood pressure checked at my beta draw yesterday and it was already a bit higher than my OB was comfortable with. They are suggestion I restart Labetalol.

Any ladies here on Labetalol? Or another med for blood pressure? I'm scared to take this from 1st tri throughout my entire pregnancy.  Plus it always just made me feel "off." Just wondering if there are other options...

Thanks

Beta #1 - 10dpo = 50

Beta #2 - 12dpo - 127

Beta #3 - 24dpo - 15,594!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Pregnant with #2 - Ladies with hypertension please help.

• I just got put on bed rest yesterday (32 WEEKS) for hypertension... I wasn't overly high either, 145 over 85, but high enough that I got put on BR... I wasn't even given the option of medication though..
    Good Luck!
  • My Bp is fine now (19 weeks along with #2) but have been on a low dose of Methyldopa. I delivered my first at 30w0d due to pre e. Maybe ask your dr about that med? I took Labatelol with my first.
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 BabyFetus Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • My blood pressure lowered enough by the end of my 1st tri that they ended up taking me off of meds.  It went up again 3rd tri (I am 32 weeks) and they put me back on Methyldolpa, which is pregnancy safe.  It's one of the oldest medications out there for pregnancy and my doctor said it is the least effective too but it is working for me.  If you are feeling off, definitely ask to try something different!  Also, my doctor said that patients with high bp tend to drop enough during 1st and 2nd tri that they can stop taking their medicine, however it comes back in 3rd tri, often higher than pre-pregnancy.  So, long story short, you might not be on medication your entire pregnancy after all.  
    imageimage
    Mama of boys, Landon (Jan 14) and Harrison (Aug 15).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all for your input.  My appt is in a couple of days, and I will definitely ask about the Methyldolpa if I need a medication.  I am hoping to avoid any, so we will see!

Beta #1 - 10dpo = 50

Beta #2 - 12dpo - 127

Beta #3 - 24dpo - 15,594!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm on Methyldopa too (2000mg/day). But I have chronic hypertension. As per my high risk doc, methyldopa works around your baby, as in it doesn't affect your baby at all. I've been on it since the day I found out I was pregnant and I'm 28 wks now. Baby is is doing well so far and BP is is controlled. Good luck with your appt. :)
  • Another vote for Aldomet/ Methyldopa- no side effects and it's doing its job!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I take labetalol now. I haven't had any trouble with it, but I guess I'm on a relatively low dose. I was told its safe in pregnancy by my MFM and a cardiologist I saw before becoming pg. if I forget it I do have a racing heart feeling though. I'm also taking another medication for HBP nifedical. I've been on both medications for a couple of years now with no complications. They work pretty well for me.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage

• I was taking labatelol 3 times a day and procardia . Procardia worked better for me and is a once a day medicine which is nice.I was weened off the labatelol slowly and finally by 11 weeks after delivery I was off everything completely. I found that with the labatelol about 2 hours after taking a dose I would feel really off ,light headed and tired. If you haven't already done so get yourself a good digital pressure cuff and take your pressure throughout the day it will really help you and the dr see what works for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm on labetalol with number two. Twice a day at 100mg. It has really helped. I've been on it pretty much the whole time. The only side effect is an occasional itchy scalp lol
  • Labetalol made me feel funny with my second. With my third, I'm on Aldomet and I have no side affects and it has kept my BP down. I've been on it since first trimester.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm on low dose Lopressor (metoprolol).  I suspect it's the reason that I feel dizzier and weaker than most in the 2nd trimester.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I take both procardia and labetalol. I have chronic hypertension.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"