June 2014 Moms
Options

UO Thursday!!

Re: UO Thursday!!

• Options
    About the cell phone thing. Personally I see nothing wrong with kids having a cell phone. My boys got a phone when they were 12 and it comes in handy a lot. We don't have a home phone so having a cell phone is kinda needed if we are gone. Also he brings his phone to school because sometimes if he stays after school he can call if I need to come get him. When I was in school we had a pay phone that I was able to use to call my mom and kids these days don't have that for after school activities.

I also do agree they should NOT be allowed to use them during the day. My son is in high school and if you get caught using your phone in any building it gets taken away and you have to pay to get it back. I think it's $15 first offense and $30 2nd. The money that is collected gets donated to a mission. I think 3rd offense you have Saturday detention which is called "the breakfast club". My son turns his phone off before he gets out of the car. He uses it sometimes at lunch not necessary to text friends because his friends all go to schools that have the same policy but he does his homework during lunch and he looks up his homework on his phone. His teachers post everything online.

I'm just saying the world has changed so much since I went to school (yes that was a long time ago) but I feel cell phones are some times more of a necessity with older children. I just think there should be rules in place to not allow them to use them at certain times.

Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    Mommiekel said:
    My UO is its never too cold to play outside. I packed my 15 month old into his hat, mittens and winter coat and let him play outside today, it's 40 degrees. So it wasn't freezing. I can't stand it when parent say its too cold for their children to play outside. With the exception of weather warnings (ex= negative 30 degree wind chill,)
    Anything below 60 is too cold to play outside!  LOL.  Then again, I still see kids playing outside when it's 120...when I was a kid I got blisters on my hands from trying to play on the monkey bars when it was that hot, but as soon as it got cold, I refused to go outside.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pepper6 said:
    Mommiekel said:
    My UO is its never too cold to play outside. I packed my 15 month old into his hat, mittens and winter coat and let him play outside today, it's 40 degrees. So it wasn't freezing. I can't stand it when parent say its too cold for their children to play outside. With the exception of weather warnings (ex= negative 30 degree wind chill,)
    Anything below 60 is too cold to play outside!  LOL.  Then again, I still see kids playing outside when it's 120...when I was a kid I got blisters on my hands from trying to play on the monkey bars when it was that hot, but as soon as it got cold, I refused to go outside.
    This is going to depend on the part of the country/world you're from, I would guess.  Some find it much colder at higher temps than others (i.e. if Florida hits 40, that's pretty damn cold).  I'm in NY and agree that it's never too cold.. unless there's a terrible wind chill, because that feels crappy.  When I grew up, we played outside at recess in anything above 20.  Once it hit 19, we were inside.  I never minded, I loved going out in the cold.  Kids are so busy running around, they barely notice it anyway.
  • Options
    +yuMMMy+ said:

There has been a cultural shift, but there has also been a government shift. So many state governments got rid of blue laws that now that stores are allowed to open. I grew up in Maine, where blue laws are still very much in affect, the stores can't open until 12:01 on Friday without being fined, you wont find a fast food restaurant open, you can't hunt on Sundays or buy alcohol before a certain time in the morning. I think that culture that we are all looking for and wanting went away in states when they did away with the blue laws, and i think its silly. I am proud to still live close to Maine and know that people wont have to work on Holidays, and that the state still values family time.
    *snipped the quote tree*

And who do you think the driving force behind repealing those laws are? Who do you think is sending people to advocate for getting rid of laws the prohibit stores being open on Sundays/holidays/after midnight/whatever? 
    The government didn't just do it for the heck of it everywhere but Maine. 
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    In Canada we have Boxing Day ales which are along the same lines as Black Friday and I know some families that have put off celebrating Christmas so they can give things they bought on Boxing Day. I think that is so horrible and have never been Boxing Day shopping in my life.
  • Options
    AllyTales said:
    Pepper6 said:
    Mommiekel said:
    This is going to depend on the part of the country/world you're from, I would guess.  Some find it much colder at higher temps than others (i.e. if Florida hits 40, that's pretty damn cold).  I'm in NY and agree that it's never too cold.. unless there's a terrible wind chill, because that feels crappy.  When I grew up, we played outside at recess in anything above 20.  Once it hit 19, we were inside.  I never minded, I loved going out in the cold.  Kids are so busy running around, they barely notice it anyway.
    Definitely.  I'm an AZ native, so I don't do cold well.  I HATE the cold and I never want to live anywhere that it snows.  I would rather have 365 days of 100+ weather than to ever get below freezing and I'm sure a lot of people from back east/north would rather deal with year round freezing temps than our heat. 
  • Options
    AllyTales said:

Pepper6 said:

Mommiekel said:

At our schools in south la if it's in the 40's they don't let the kids go outside to play. We just don't own warm clothes because we never have cold weather. Also, our kids wear uniforms and they aren't warm at all. Our school jackets aren't that thick either.

I can't stand to hear .... Your going to catch a cold if you go outside to play in the cold weather. I just think that's stupid. If you want to play outside in the cold and are dressed appropriately go for it.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    Pepper6 said:
    Mommiekel said:
    At our schools in south la if it's in the 40's they don't let the kids go outside to play. We just don't own warm clothes because we never have cold weather. Also, our kids wear uniforms and they aren't warm at all. Our school jackets aren't that thick either. I can't stand to hear .... Your going to catch a cold if you go outside to play in the cold weather. I just think that's stupid. If you want to play outside in the cold and are dressed appropriately go for it.
    I hate that too!!!!!  My grandmother used to say that ALL THE TIME. I find my mom saying it sometimes, too. Maybe it's an age thing :P  I tell them you can't catch a cold from weather. You catch a cold from a germ and viruses. Now if you're already SICK and you're outside playing and it's 1 degree and windy, and your immune system is compromised.. it may not help your cause.  But I always find fresh air helps when I'm sick.  
  • Options
    JNerd said:
    In Canada we have Boxing Day ales which are along the same lines as Black Friday and I know some families that have put off celebrating Christmas so they can give things they bought on Boxing Day. I think that is so horrible and have never been Boxing Day shopping in my life.
    I agree with putting off Christmas being a horrible thing but I will admit to doing some boxing day sales myself.  Can't say I have ever gotten up extra early and lined up though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage

• Options
    I also hate the Christmas card thing. I hate that Christmas decorations seem to be in the stores earlier and earlier but I don't mind it so much this year since it's our first Christmas in our house and I'm excited to decorate. My UO is probably not that unpopular to other people but in my group of friends it seems to be. I absolutely hate "selfies." How many pictures of yourself do you need to take???
    This!!!! I loathe selfies! I like to take pictures with a purpose, like pictures with my friends and family. I think that selfies are incredibly vain...do you seriously enjoy looking at yourself that much? My best friend is a selfie queen...she is a very pretty girl, but she tries to be super sexy  and artistic, and they 1) don't look anything like her and 2) just look ridiculous. I feel like a terrible friend, but my husband and I usually just laugh at them. I want to tell her that they are ridiculous but I'm sure she would get offended and it just wouldn't be worth the fight.
    February Siggy Challenge - Picture of You and DH. Us with our engagement pumpkins. DH carved each word of "Will You Marry Me" and the date 10/11/12 into five dfferent pumpkins.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mrsgerman said:
    I don't understand the point of being team yellow. To me it seems gift grabby. Like the parents want to know but don't want to be bombarded with boy or girl clothes and instead receive practical items. I also don't know how anyone who is team yellow can know and not slip up on a regular basis by calling the baby he or she in public. 
    I've already accidentally referred to them as both boys and girls. I don't know and won't. 
    I don't even know how to respond to the gift grabby part. I think in general we forget that for a very long time people didn't know if the soon-to-arrive baby would be a boy or a girl and still managed to purchase baby gifts just fine.
    I think she meant team yellow as in the people who find out the sex but just keep it to themselves.
    It was my UO last week as well but I especially don't agree with the people that do the sex reveal at the shower.  To me that comes off as gift grabby.

imageimage

• Options
    mrsgerman said:
    I don't understand the point of being team yellow. To me it seems gift grabby. Like the parents want to know but don't want to be bombarded with boy or girl clothes and instead receive practical items. I also don't know how anyone who is team yellow can know and not slip up on a regular basis by calling the baby he or she in public. 
    I've already accidentally referred to them as both boys and girls. I don't know and won't. 
    I don't even know how to respond to the gift grabby part. I think in general we forget that for a very long time people didn't know if the soon-to-arrive baby would be a boy or a girl and still managed to purchase baby gifts just fine.
    I think she meant team yellow as in the people who find out the sex but just keep it to themselves.
    It was my UO last week as well but I especially don't agree with the people that do the sex reveal at the shower.  To me that comes off as gift grabby.
    I know, but my point was that plenty of Team Green people will accidentally refer to the baby as a specific sex, so you have no way of knowing if someone that is Team Yellow does. 

I still don't get how announcing the sex at the shower is gift grabby. 
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
  • Options
    mrsgerman said:
    I know, but my point was that plenty of Team Green people will accidentally refer to the baby as a specific sex, so you have no way of knowing if someone that is Team Yellow does. 

This is true and your right about Team Green people.  I never really thought about it that way.  I guess people could be claiming to be Team Green and really could be Team Yellow and honestly I could really care less if they know and I don't.

My friend did just did the announcing at the shower and she told me after she did not want anything pink or frilly so that is why she waited to announce.  She was hopeful that people would buy her the bigger items and the more practical items.  To me that is gift grabby.  I think you should thankful for anything you receive even if it isn't your style or what you were hopeful for.

imageimage

• Options
    @pintobean39, I understand that there are a lot of good things about cell phones, and that the world is changing. It's just that cell phones are really the bane of my existence as a teacher, especially a high school teacher. They are a huge distraction in class. For instance, yesterday I collected all the cell phones in one of my classes because the kids just can't stay off of them. I had kids literally fidgeting in my classroom like they were having withdrawal from their damn phones. They were saying how naked they felt and that they sleep with their phones under their pillows. I think that is sad. They got rid of our cell phone policy last year, which means our students are allowed to carry them. Mainly, because of complaints from parents about the kids not being able to have them. It sounds like your school district has a good policy in regards to cell phones. I know that phones make it easier to keep track of your kids, and that is great, but they present a lot of problems as well. To me, I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, especially coming from a teacher standpoint.

• Options
    mrsgerman said:

This is true and your right about Team Green people.  I never really thought about it that way.  I guess people could be claiming to be Team Green and really could be Team Yellow and honestly I could really care less if they know and I don't.

My friend did just did the announcing at the shower and she told me after she did not want anything pink or frilly so that is why she waited to announce.  She was hopeful that people would buy her the bigger items and the more practical items.  To me that is gift grabby.  I think you should thankful for anything you receive even if it isn't your style or what you were hopeful for.
    Then I guess I'm just selfish because I don't want anything frilly and pink either. I'll be thankful for gifts, but that doesn't mean I won't return something that isn't my style.
    I'm not expecting to get bigger items at all, or for people to spend more money, but I am assuming people will just get me undershirts or gender neutral sleepers or blankets or socks. Or things like bottles and spend the same amount of money they would otherwise. 
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
  • Options
    I'm just curious, for those in the "no kids cell phones" camp, how do you feel about those phones that can only call like 4 pre-programmed numbers and 911? 
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
  • Options
    mrsgerman said:

I don't see that as gift grabby though, just a little more practical since people will probably still spend the same amount, they just might spend it on different stuff.  I plan to find out the sex, and have no intention of keeping it a secret, so I know we'll receive a lot of clothes at our baby shower.  It's fine, I can buy the other stuff myself, but I can also see how that'd be a little disappointing to get tons of clothes and nothing else (especially when you get so much that they'll never be able to wear it all).

I'm definitely a more practical person though.  I always buy from the registry, usually making a gift bag out of all the little stuff that no one thinks to buy.  Sure, it's not as "ooh and aah" worthy, but I always feel like the mom-to-be will appreciate it more than yet another outfit. 
  • Options
    chickpea912chickpea912 member
    edited November 2013
    I'm tired of Christmas already.  (I would say I hate it, but I'm trying to be less negative today)

I don't think it's a big deal to have Thanksgiving dinner "early" - we always do it around 3pm anyway, and with DH going to a football game that night, we're moving it back to 2pm.  We still have family time and can express all the appropriate thanksgiving sentiments.

As an educator, I look for ways to expand technology into the classroom.  I sometimes LIKE having cell phones and tablets in the room to do interesting, creative things.  Not that they can't be a pain and a distraction, I just work around it.

I like getting the photo holiday cards from friends - they live on my refrigerator and remind me of the people I love in my life.  If they want to spend the money on it, doesn't bother me.  And I eventually recycle most of them (I used to keep all correspondence in a box)

There are times I really wish people would just get more perspective on the world.  I see too often that people honestly feel that it all just revolves around them and cannot shake those blinders.

I despise coffee, so I do drink soda in the morning.  It's the only way I ever take in caffeine.  Drives DH crazy (who also doesn't drink coffee).

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          
  • Options
    My UO is I just don't understand people who drink soda first thing in the morning. You drink coffee in the morning... not Dr. Pepper! 
    I don't typically drink soda in the morning, however I HATE coffee.  I do not like anything that is bitter, and coffee fits in that category.  Sometimes I need a caffeine fix, which may end up being soda.  To me, I think it's bizarre that people can't start their day without a cup, or two, or three.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    lalala8 said:
    I really like photo xmas cards- most of my friends send on with pics of their kids/families. Since printed pictures aren't as big of a thing anymore, it's nice to have them hanging on my card holder during the holidays.

I also love to see xmas stuff in stores in August. Xmas is my favorite time of year, so I love anything that reminds me of it.

Me too! We have a collection and I will be putting them in a photo album...it'll be fun to look back and see how families have grown over the years :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MommyP710 said:
    My UO is I just don't understand people who drink soda first thing in the morning. You drink coffee in the morning... not Dr. Pepper! 
    I don't typically drink soda in the morning, however I HATE coffee.  I do not like anything that is bitter, and coffee fits in that category.  Sometimes I need a caffeine fix, which may end up being soda.  To me, I think it's bizarre that people can't start their day without a cup, or two, or three.
    I can't remember the last time I drank caffeine. 
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
  • Options
    mrsgerman said:

Then I guess I'm just selfish because I don't want anything frilly and pink either. I'll be thankful for gifts, but that doesn't mean I won't return something that isn't my style.
    I'm not expecting to get bigger items at all, or for people to spend more money, but I am assuming people will just get me undershirts or gender neutral sleepers or blankets or socks. Or things like bottles and spend the same amount of money they would otherwise. 
    I would like to assume that when you are Team Green that you are not just Team Green so you can get better gifts at a shower.

imageimage

• Options

There is something that I find so wrong about soda in the morning. I don't care if other people do it, but I could never bring myself to drink soda first thing in the morning. Unless I was really really hung over, or slept til noon.

Also, and this is going to be really unpopular, I dont like Chipotle!!!! But, my area recently got a Piada, which is like Italian style Chipotle, and I love that.

• Options
    LoHerrim said:

My UO is also about Christmas. Why am I obligated to purchase gifts for every child in our family every single year (we're currently sitting at 46 this year) when only TWO of those parents have ever gotten my kids anything, EVER? They rip open the gift, look at it, and toss it aside without so much as a thank you. I know Christmas isn't about what you get, but my poor kids have to sit and wait for their two presents while the rest of the greedy bastards in the family open up 40!

Are you serious??? Forget it!!! My family did that once to my little sister -(she's 10 years younger than me)- every one of those kids got a toy from myself and everyone else in the family- their parents either completely forgot my sis or got her something crappy from the dollar store. The poor girl cried for days because her cousin got something she really wanted and rubbed it in her face. I was furious! the year after that I got a big chocolate bar per family and was done with it. I could care less if the kids fought over them. I spent the money left over all on my sis, taking her out on a shopping spree.

Honestly, the parents should be ashamed of themselves.
    Beatrice- bfp September 16 2013, born February 1 2014 died later same day.
  • Options
    I think it's stupid to choose a common or trendy name and then "jazz it up" with a "creative" spelling. If it is still pronounced the same way as the others what is the point?
    When I was in school there were always a ton of other girls named Lindsay. It didn't matter if they were spelled Lindsey, Lyndsi, LinZee or Lindsay, they all sounded the same.
  • Options
    joules235 said:
    I think Starbucks sucks. The coffee drinks are always way too sweet and the cake pops are horrible. I had a panini from there one time, in an airport, I would have rather eaten McDonalds. :-&
    I don't like their coffee, either.
  • Options
    joules235 said:
    I think Starbucks sucks. The coffee drinks are always way too sweet and the cake pops are horrible. I had a panini from there one time, in an airport, I would have rather eaten McDonalds. :-&
    I agree.  I had a giftcard for Starbucks, so I stopped there one morning and spent like $6 for an iced coffee.  I took a few sips of it, threw it away, and got a McDonalds iced coffee for $1.50.
  • Options
    joules235 said:
    Agreed, Sbux coffee is not the best. It did get a bit better now that they have the Blonde roast. I will say though, the breakfast sandwiches are delicious IMO :)
  • Options
    joules235 said:

They have this sandwich (or at least they did a couple years ago) that is so freaking good. It should be out around now, it's like thanksgiving dinner on a sandwich. Normally I would hate this, but this sandwich is so good.

I think that if you don't like coffee you aren't drinking it right.

• Options
    I don't understand it when parents make their facebook profile picture a picture of their child. You are not your child, you are the parent of a child. Your facebook is a reflection of you, and you are more than just your child or his/her parent. If you want a picture of you and your kid as your profile picture, go for it. But your profile picture should be of you*. Especially since nobody cares as much about your kid as you do. Your friends want to be friends with you, not your kid.

When I was pregnant with the toddler, I said this and I was told, "You'll get it when you're a parent." I've been a parent for almost 2 years, and I still don't get it.

* I have changed my profile picture to be Buddy the Elf around Christmas, as well as the character from Hyperbole and a Half during the sneaky hate spiral. Both were temporary and still reflected MY personality, not my kid's.

Due June 6th, 2014

photo 41e3ba00-bd4c-47ca-9942-1eb362a1242a_zpseeedb954.jpg
  • Options
    I don't understand it when parents make their facebook profile picture a picture of their child. You are not your child, you are the parent of a child. Your facebook is a reflection of you, and you are more than just your child or his/her parent. If you want a picture of you and your kid as your profile picture, go for it. But your profile picture should be of you*. Especially since nobody cares as much about your kid as you do. Your friends want to be friends with you, not your kid. When I was pregnant with the toddler, I said this and I was told, "You'll get it when you're a parent." I've been a parent for almost 2 years, and I still don't get it. * I have changed my profile picture to be Buddy the Elf around Christmas, as well as the character from Hyperbole and a Half during the sneaky hate spiral. Both were temporary and still reflected MY personality, not my kid's.
    I agree with you on this one.  I have never made my daughter my profile picture.  At the most, it is a picture of us, but never just her.  One of my pet peeves.

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          
  • Options
    I agree with the facebook profile picture.  I do reserve the right to stick C's face all over my cover photo, however :).  My profile picture, is me, because need to know it's me speaking, not C. 

I don't have an UO today.  I rarely do. Well, that's probably not true, I do all sorts of things that I think people might disagree with (we don't water down juice for C, I don't see the need to clean everyday, we did CIO with C, and still do some nights, all that sort of stuff). 

I don't like One Direction.  I hate Christmas before Thanksgiving. Babies are a blessing, being pregnant sucks giant donkey balls.  Those are my attempts. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    I hate Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving! One holiday at a time please

BabyFruit Ticker      
                  image                   image

• Options
    I hate reality TV shows. All of them - with the exception of Big Brother (DH and his whole family watch it and I just got sucked in last season). I really don't care if you find someone you love out of a group of 40 people, I don't care to watch rich families have their every move documented, if you lost 200 pounds, good for you but I'm not going to follow your life story. I just don't get it.
    February Siggy Challenge - Picture of You and DH. Us with our engagement pumpkins. DH carved each word of "Will You Marry Me" and the date 10/11/12 into five dfferent pumpkins.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I have to totally disagree with you all about Sbux coffee. I love how strong it is, and I'll often get a hot black coffee there and stick it in the fridge for my iced coffee; that way it's not watered down with ice. I joke that I like my coffee like i like my soul: black, cold, and bitter.

Edited to fix 'stribng' to "strong."

I love strong black coffee, but I still think Starbucks coffee is disgusting.  Can't say a lot about the flavored drinks because I don't do sweet coffee, but their regular coffee is far worse than truck stop coffee.
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"