VBAC

Doctor said what? RP from 3rd tri

So I am 38w tomorrow with baby #2. I had my dr. appt this morning and she said I'm 3.5cm and 75% (have been since last week). She mentioned today that if baby isn't here a week from tomorrow then she would break my water because I'm already contracting regularly (every 10min consistantly) and that I just need some extra umph. Talk about a surprise. I was not expecting her to say that at all. But I am a VBACer and baby is already measuring in the 80th percentile. I would really like to avoid that if at all possible but not really sure what else I can do between now and then other than the standard walk/sex thing. What do you guys think?

Re: Doctor said what? RP from 3rd tri

• I would be personally hesitant to have my water broken at 39 weeks if I wasn't in active labor.  Having your water broken puts you on the clock.  If I were 41 weeks or even 40, I might be more open to it.  But it sounds like your cervix is favorable so that is good--did you labor at all before your c-section and if so, how much did you dilate?  That may tell you something about how likely it is to work.

I would try walking and sex and maybe some nipple stimulation. And if it's not a scenario you are comfortable with, you can always ask her more questions, discuss other options, or even just say "No, that isn't something I want to do."

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • iris427 said:

did you labor at all before your c-section and if so, how much did you dilate?

I labored for 14 hours before and was at a 9.5cm. Then baby turned face up and my labor just stopped progressing completely. Hoping for different results this time!

• Loading the player...
  • If it were me, I would not consent to an artificial breaking of the waters. There is no going back from that - if labor doesn't start, they have to intervene further and your chances of a VBAC just keep going down with each unnecessary intervention. The WHO's #1 recommendation for healthy outcomes for mom & baby is to wait for labor to start on its own. Starting any other way, especially for non medical reasons which it sounds like this would be, stacks the odds against you.  

You're already 3+ cm dilated. It sounds like you're doing great. I would not mess with what your body is doing right now. It's clearly on the right track. I would just keep doing what you doing but tell your Dr at the next appointment "Thanks for wanting to help me get this thing jump started but it's safer for me to wait and that's what I'm going to do."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just say no, and wait til 40/41 weeks, like Iris said. Tell her you'll do BPPs every few days if she's worried. Good luck, it sounds like you're close!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• did you labor at all before your c-section and if so, how much did you dilate?
    I labored for 14 hours before and was at a 9.5cm. Then baby turned face up and my labor just stopped progressing completely. Hoping for different results this time!
    Yeah, face up babies will do that--that is what led to my c/s too. The good news is that your next baby will probably be in a better position. And if you dilated 9.5 cm last time, you most likely wont have problems with progressing this time either, so that is in your favor. GL with whatever you decide to do.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • jmajor5jmajor5 member
    edited November 2013
    Just wanted to pass along the update:
    I called my doctor to have a conversation with her and ask all the questions that, of course, came to mind after I'd left her office. The main reasons she suggested inducing at 39w was due to the size of baby on the last growth scan they did. I'm pretty petite (5'0 and 105 usually) and this baby is already measuring around 8.5 lbs. Now we all know there is error with the ultrasounds but the doctor said she wants to play it safe. Since I showed no signs of lack of progression on the first baby initially and am already dilated to 3.5cm and 75% she mentioned I shouldn't have any trouble with that side effect of the induction process.

So long story short I've decided to keep the induction scheduled for next Wednesday and just try my hardest to jump start labor before then. Any suggestions would be most welcome ladies. Thanks!

• I don't know if it made a difference for me, but for DS, I had a massage on a Wednesday evening and woke up the next morning in labor.  My masseuse specifically asked if I wanted her to pinpoint anything to help encourage labor.  I said no since I was still a week out from my EDD, but I'm sure it helped anyway.  

Worst case scenario?  It doesn't help move things along, but you get a great massage out of it.
  • Ditto the others. Just decline having your water broken. There's nothing at all dangerous about contracting or dilating before active labor, nor is there anything worrisome about an 80th percentile estimate. Your body is prepping itself; let it. I don't know why your doctor is pushing this, but it's your body. And your size has nothing to do with the ability of your pelvis to allow a baby through it. Inducing will lessen your chance at success.

I was contracting and 3-4cm dilated for three weeks before active labor started. I had at least three false labor starts as well. I was in the hospital for an NST at one point and the OB on call wanted to keep me because I was contracting every ten minutes. I insisted on going home and it was another two weeks before baby made her appearance. I went on to go into labor two days past my edd and VBAC'd a 9lb baby.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Yeah, I have to agree with skio, induction isn't recommended for suspected macrosomia (not that 80th %is macrosomic). I would beg off until past 40 weeks, especially if you and the baby are doing fine There's no harm in waiting a bit longer. And FWIW, my VBAC baby was 10.5lbs.

Good luck!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Good news is I didn't have to be induced. My contractions started about 2am on Sunday morning. Made it to the hospital and finally got my epi around 8am. Slept most of the day and was at 9cm by noon. Doctor broke my water then and quickly made it to a 10 when I was finally able to start pushing. The doctor asked me to rest for a couple of hours before we started so I didn't actually get to push until closer to 3pm. Then I went to town. Made really great progress but by 7pm he wasn't getting passed my pelvic bone. We tried a few more hours and finally decided this wasn't the safest choice any longer. Our LO finally made it here at 11:33pm via csection. So now we are at home recouperating. I wish everybody well with their own VBAC. Good luck!!

• jmajor5 said:
    Good news is I didn't have to be induced. My contractions started about 2am on Sunday morning. Made it to the hospital and finally got my epi around 8am. Slept most of the day and was at 9cm by noon. Doctor broke my water then and quickly made it to a 10 when I was finally able to start pushing. The doctor asked me to rest for a couple of hours before we started so I didn't actually get to push until closer to 3pm. Then I went to town. Made really great progress but by 7pm he wasn't getting passed my pelvic bone. We tried a few more hours and finally decided this wasn't the safest choice any longer. Our LO finally made it here at 11:33pm via csection. So now we are at home recouperating. I wish everybody well with their own VBAC. Good luck!!
    Thanks for sharing and congratulations! Sounds like you worked hard and your baby is healthy :) I hope you have a smooth recovery. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"