Nurseries and Baby Gear

Flash cards for one year old?

I am looking for basic flash cards for my baby. (Pics of animals, letters, etc) She will be a year next month. What brand makes them? I am only finding ones for older children. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Flash cards for one year old?

• I can't help with your search, but I would like to recommend that you not use flash cards, especially with a one year old. The best way to encourage growth and development with speech and early literacy is to point out words, colors, etc in your environment. (Signs, reading books, etc). You can even use index cards and tape them to things around the house with the name of the object written down. For example, have an index card with the word "refrigerator" taped to the refrigerator. Do this all over the house and throughout the day, you can point to the object and index card, then say what it is. Young children learn best through play, and emergent literacy is a wonderful way to incorporate that into your daily activities. Obviously you can choose to do what you want with your child, but based on my background in child development/early childhood education, this is what I would recommend. :)
  • I wouldn't use flash cards for children.  Most children are kinesthetic learners (learn through experiences).  Children learn better by hearing animal noises, going to see animals at the zoo, getting books that are touch and feel.  It's better to play with your child and let them learn rather than just showing flash cards.
  • Loading the player...
  • Baby Einstein makes some.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Thank you guys! For some reason I thought it was a bad thing because I don't use flash cards with her and I didn't have any.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • All of the big box stores have them...typically buy the kids books.  I will say this...I have a 2 year old that BEGS us to get out the flashcards so he can be quizzed.  It isn't always a bad thing if they enjoy it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have these: https://www.amazon.com/First-Touch-Feel-Picture-Cards/dp/0756615186/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384112110&sr=8-1&keywords=touch+n+feel+cards.

We certainly don't use them as "flash cards."  My 10 month-old likes to feel the "touch" parts of the cards, push them around on the carpet, take them out of her toy box one at a time...we talk about them, like, do you like the cat or the baby better?  Like pp said, they are like books for this age, but more fun because you can do more things with them.
  • We love the "My First ...... " Touch and Feel cards. We have most of them - words, animals, numbers, things that go. Both my kids love them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"