Natural Birth
Options

Hepatitis B vaccine?? Concerned..

I've been doing some research on the hepatitis B vaccine and just don't know what to do. I've read conflicting opinions, of course, but I can't decide which has greater negative possible outcomes. Anyone else done any research or have any insight for me? Thanks!

Re: Hepatitis B vaccine?? Concerned..

• Options
    My MW's advice was to get BFing well established before doing it.  We chose to do it at 2w instead of at birth.  Just a slight delay, but one I was comfortable with.   We follow the CDC guidelines for everything else and my kids are vaccinated on time.
  • Options
    My doctor told me she didn't even give this one to her baby - and she is as pro-vaccine as any doctor. I struggled with other vaccines, but this one was easy to opt out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We delayed as I saw no compelling reason to do it at birth.  We do most vaccines on schedule but this one makes no sense to me if their are no risk factors for baby.
  • Options
    CDMay2006CDMay2006 member
    edited November 2013
    While we will be doing this vaccine, we saw no reason to start the series at birth. We will be waiting until after the other 2mo vaccines to start it. Pediatrician agrees with our stance.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! I didn't know you could delay them but I will definitely be asking if we can do that too
  • Options
    My pediatrician didn't mind delaying by a month or two. But he also mentioned that it was actually made for newborns (unlike most other vaccines) and also was probably the best tolerated of all vaccines (practically no reported side effects, which is also unlike other vaccines). I haven't looked into this myself though. I'm very pro-vax, but I appreciate having a pediatrician who not only was really educated on the history of various vaccines and the variety of reactions and interactions but was also willing to speak honestly about them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Bmaristuen - what are some of the negative outcomes you researched for giving the vaccine on time and for delaying it?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I guess I've read positives and negatives to both sides but mostly it seemed like a lot with both the vitamin k shot (which is not optional) and then the hep b too all within the first day. They are so little and new I just felt like if it wasn't necessary, I would want to avoid it. I've also read that there is some link to the vaccine and autism and that the aluminum levels are really high and could be dangerous for an infant.. Whether or not those are true I don't know.
  • Options
    What do you mean vit k isn't optional (hospital policy? state law?)? It is optional (here), but I wouldnt decline it. It's not a vaccine, though, it is a vitamin.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    I never found any compelling reason why my newborn should need an std vaccine...

Neither my husband nor I have Hep B, nor anyone she'll be around. I got the series in middle school. That's what I plan to do with my kids!
    imageimageimage
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    hep b was not necessarily in my eyes. i dont' plan on my baby engaging in sharing of needles or sexual activity, so i opted out and the ped on duty had no problems with that. also opted out of the erythromycin eye ointment because i knew i didn't have herpes. didn't want LO's birth to be welcomed with vaccines and ointments, especially after not taking any medications during pregnancy and the birth! this weekend i need to decide what vaccines to agree to for LO's 2-month well visit... lots of research to do... these are difficult decisions!
  • Options
    It can also be spread by bites, which may be especially relevant for families with kids in daycare.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    What an informative thread! Thanks, ladies!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kaniela17kaniela17 member
    edited November 2013

CDMay2006 said:

It can also be spread by bites, which may be especially relevant for families with kids in daycare.

Yes, and the virus can live on surfaces like shopping cart handles for up to a week. It's not all about STD's and dirty needles, FFS. And the eye ointment protects against far more than just herpes. This thread is full of ignorance.

Copied from the CDC website:

How is Hepatitis B spread?
    Hepatitis B is spread when blood, semen, or other body fluid infected with the Hepatitis B virus enters the body of a person who is not infected. People can become infected with the virus during activities such as:
    Birth (spread from an infected mother to her baby during birth)
    Sex with an infected partner
    Sharing needles, syringes, or other drug-injection equipment
    Sharing items such as razors or toothbrushes with an infected person
    Direct contact with the blood or open sores of an infected person
    Exposure to blood from needlesticks or other sharp instruments

I don't think a newborn would be doing any of these things unless the mother is infected or the child is in a type of environment where ppl are sharing needles and the baby is playing with one (I hope that's unlikely).
    I refused all vaccines for my son and we are very well informed of the current formulas of them. Vaccines will not prevent any of the illnesses they are for. A pediatrician who's provax told me to be careful bringing my son around vaccinated children as they could pass along what they've been vaxed for to him. I was also told the antibodies in breastmilk do more good than the vaccines.

ETA for clarity
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker

BFP#1 DS 1/19/12  BFP#2 EDD 6/11/14 MC 10/9/12 BFP#3 EDD 10/3/14

• Options
    edited November 2013
    First off they are not 100% prevented or at all safe. I got vaccinated fully as a child and still got chicken pox and hey guess what so was my father and he got shingles a few months ago. They many work for a select few such as yourselves but not everyone. There aren't many studies to say they are unsafe and cause other dieseases because no government would fund such a thing when they make bank from the pharma companies. I do not believe anything coming from government run news sites.
    https://vactruth.com/2013/08/02/dissolving-illusions/?utm_source=The+Vaccine+Truth+Newsletter&utm_campaig
    https://vactruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/disease-graph.jpg
    I'm not trying to sway your beliefs I'm just answering the op question. You can believe what you want and make your own decisions. It's not ignorance to want to protect my own child from unnecessary shots of man made chemicals when we are not in a place of low hygiene, dirty water, no sanitation, and vermin filled homes. I've done my research and you yours and we've made our own decisions based on that.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    "Unfortunately not vaccinating your kids puts all the kids they interact with in danger."

I was told by three pediatricians pushing vaccines it's the other way around.
    And no not luck...everything I've already said.

-thought this was a natural board...

• Options
    " make educated decisions, but don't just ignore what is easily learned."

Exactly...I agree with you but I just believe the majority isn't given all the information. I don't think we're being told everything. I don't think the real reasons for any increase in something, be it bullying, shootings, diseases, etc are being put right in front of us. We could prob go at this all day pretty much like everyone has done for centuries. I believe what I believe and you believe what you believe. We're doing what we think is best for our family, as are you and I respect that. I hope you have a great Sunday. I'm gonna try to go back to sleep now while my son is still napping. :)

• Options
    I can assure you that if the 50-100 million people who died during the flu epidemic of 1918 were to be given the option of being vaccinated rather than dying, they would have elected to receive the flu vaccine. The only reason this is being being debated is that we have forgotten what it looks like to see children die of smallpox or pertussis. People 50-100 years ago were thrilled as could be to have access to vaccinations. FTR, we delayed my sons hep B and eye ointment (which obviously is not a vaccine) and have been on schedule for the rest.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kaniela17 said:
    First off they are not 100% prevented or at all safe. I got vaccinated fully as a child and still got chicken pox and hey guess what so was my father and he got shingles a few months ago. They many work for a select few such as yourselves but not everyone. There aren't many studies to say they are unsafe and cause other dieseases because no government would fund such a thing when they make bank from the pharma companies. I do not believe anything coming from government run news sites. https://vactruth.com/2013/08/02/dissolving-illusions/?utm_source=The+Vaccine+Truth+Newsletter&utm_campaig https://vactruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/disease-graph.jpg I'm not trying to sway your beliefs I'm just answering the op question. You can believe what you want and make your own decisions. It's not ignorance to want to protect my own child from unnecessary shots of man made chemicals when we are not in a place of low hygiene, dirty water, no sanitation, and vermin filled homes. I've done my research and you yours and we've made our own decisions based on that.
    And putting a man on the moon was an elaborate hoax filmed on a sound stage, right? You're an utter idiot.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    My husband and I did not feel that this vaccine was necessary at birth so we are opting out. I would just listen to your instinct after doing research.
    I spent an entire day reading the VAERS database and it  helped me to make my decision.
  • Options
    CDMay2006 said:
    Yes, and the virus can live on surfaces like shopping cart handles for up to a week. It's not all about STD's and dirty needles, FFS. And the eye ointment protects against far more than just herpes. This thread is full of ignorance.
    What else is the eye cream for besides STDs? At the hospital they told me only STDs. @DebateThis
  • Options
    jane8188 said:
    CDMay2006 said:
    What else is the eye cream for besides STDs? At the hospital they told me only STDs. @DebateThis
    There's a whole lot of bacteria in the vagina that can get into a newborn's eyes and cause problems, even if it's not an STD. Aside from STD bacteria, staph or bacteria from the GI tract (passed from the rectum) are concerns as well.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    avalei said:
    I never found any compelling reason why my newborn should need an std vaccine...

Neither my husband nor I have Hep B, nor anyone she'll be around. I got the series in middle school. That's what I plan to do with my kids!
    This is us too.  Our pediatrician was also on board with us waiting. 
  • Options
    jennish11 said:
    My husband and I will be opting out of the Hep B vaccine.

Our "daycare" will be my MIL - and no one there has Hep B and neither do my husband or I.
    I'm not concerned about biting either as we will not be using an official daycare with a lot of kids we don't know.

Also, just to correct a PP... Hep B CANNOT be contracted through surfaces like the flu or cold virus... it's through bodily fluids.  I think you are thinking of Hep C.
    Bodily fluids on surfaces like shopping cart handles and public doorknobs are common. And given that most people w/ Hep B don't even know they have the disease in order to be more cautious, I don't get why anyone would take the risk.  As another person so aptly put it: Hepatitis B can survive for a week outside the body. It survives even when dried. Hep A and E can survive for fucking months. It can be dried, washed, lysoled and still survive. Hep C and D can survive hours to days. So when you're at your neighborhood grocery store, and your kid licks the cart, or the can of tomatoes that got sneezed on three weeks ago by an infected person, that's how your kid gets hepatitis.
    Common? Nope.
    Does it matter if its common if its your kid that develops hepatitis and needs a liver transplant? Not a whole fucking lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"