June 2013 Moms
Options

No poop update. Feeling a little sad

momofcatanmomofcatan member
edited November 2013 in June 2013 Moms
Just got back from the pedi. DD hasn't gained any weight in 2 weeks. The pedi recommended that we start her on solids which is what I was thinking would be the solution. I really wanted to wait until closer to 6 months, maybe do BLW, but I agree with the doctors logic. Starting solids now seems like the best non invasive way to give her some mass to poop. I asked him if there was anything we could do for the gassiness and he said we just need to get her to poop. 

I can't help but feel like I've failed a bit at BFng. I've been worried about my supply since this whole thing started. DH made a comment that maybe she's being so fussy lately because she's not getting enough to eat, but because I only nurse with no regular pumping i felt like there was no way to know. After worrying for a couple of days and calling a breast feeding clinic I figured the only way I could know would be from tracking her wet diapers and she seemed I have enough, though they probably were not wet enough. I can't help but wonder if I would have been more proactive trying to gauge or increase my supply maybe I would have had a happier baby and would have been able to wait on solids.

This should be he end of poop watch-ing, and it has been fun, wish I had a happier ending. Maybe the poop will be epic this time, but I still won't PIP ;) I'm off to go buy some oatmeal...

ETA today is 20 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: No poop update. Feeling a little sad

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't feel bad! You obviously love your baby and sounds like you are doing what is best for her, given your situation. Good luck with the baby food!

image image

• Options
    We are in a similar boat. It's so hard. I just cannot get my body to produce more than it is. She started on cereal much earlier than I planned. But the good news is that she's in a better mood and sleeping better and pooping better. Do what you have to do and don't feel guilty. Good luck!
    photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Don't feel bad! You're doing a great job. If she has plenty of wet diapers then I'm sure your supply is fine. If you're worried just drink tons of water. I can tell a noticeable difference when I drink lots.

Look on the bright side, Solids will be fun! She will love it and you get to keep BFing.

• Options
    You're doing what's best for your baby. Good luck with the baby food.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Your doing amazing, don't feel down! Your doing what you gotta do as a mother, taking care of that beautiful girl!

• Options
    Maelara said:
    She's probably fussy because she's going through her wonder weeks (I'm on Mobil so if you have a ticker for her age, I can't see it)? N is like that right now and I FF so I know she isn't hungry. Also, you're probably just making such perfect BM she doesn't need to poop :) solids should be fun though! Looks at it as a blast testing out new things and maybe it won't be sad! You're doing everything for your babe, don't let this get you down!
    She gave a great answer! You're doing awesome Mama! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 

• Options
    Everyone else said it!  You're doing the best you can for your beautiful girl!

image      image    

IVF #1 September 2012, beta #1: 213; beta #2: 580. Expecting Twins! 
    EDD 6/9 lost one angel at 9w3d :( 
    Baby boy arrived 6/1/13
    FET #1 10/14, BFP -Chemical Pregnancy :(
    Everyone Welcome

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Your not a failure at all, you've done the best you can. Nothing's wrong with adding solids, as long as your feeding your baby your doing awesome. HUGS
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the support ladies. I'm trying to get excited about starting this next phase. DH was really looking forward to feeding DD so it's helping that he's really happy to start. I kept telling myself hats she's fussy because she's just going through a phase, but she's been generally unhappy for 4 or 5 weeks now (she's actually never been a particularly happy baby). I'm pretty sure it was my supply, she even recently started whining while nursing.

• Options
    @araziza you have to take a pic of your husband feeding her! Ahhh our babies are growing up!!
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • Options
    @araziza
    HI! If I remember correctly from FB or TB, you might live somewhat in the same area as me...Toronto? 
    I know you already contacted a breastfeeding clinic but I would be glad to give you the breastfeeding clinic I went to that is essentially world renowned and its Dr. Jack Newman's clinic. He's like the breast feeding guru =)  I went three times, and they are very attentive to your goals and very helpful.  They were really amazing.
    Just throwing it out there in case you want some options.

We are all doing our best and so keep up the good work!!!  Don't fret at all.
  • Options
    Thanks @abbity. Did you need a referral from your doctor, or did you just call and make an appointment? I thought I heard you need a referral (or maybe that's if you want it covered by OHIP?)

• Options
    Hi!
    Ok first things first, go to your GP or walk in clinic and tell them you need a referral to the Newman's Breastfeeding clinic (tell them about your issues and goals so they understand you really need this!) because if you don't have a referral, Newmans will charge you an additional $100 (or something like that) on top of the regular appointment fee.

Also, in the mean time, call your Insurance provider and see if you are covered for: Lactation support, Nursing support (some do cover! Like apparently SunLife and other companies do).

If you really want an appointment to Newmans, go to their website https://www.nbci.ca/ and just request an appointment because sometimes there's a bit of a wait to get in.  

Let me know if you want any more details, I would be more than happy help.

Honestly, I found them really helpful.  When you go, each time, you spend private one on one with a LC, and a paediatrician comes in after to assess your LO.  They were able to tell me things and catch on to others that the public health LC that I went to never did!
  • Options
    @abbity thanks again. if I have more questions I'll PM you. I have contact info for an LC in my area so I might call her up first. But good idea on the supplementary insurance, I'll need to keep that in mind. The clinic I called last week was the free York region clinic, didn't tell me anything I didn't already know from being around the bump, lol.

• Options
    You're very welcome.
    When I did the York Region one...I spent 45 minutes on the phone with them the very first time and I completely agree with you because I felt like I knew more than the lady on the phone! (hate to be a know it all...But I am serious). Then when I actually went to the clinic, I mentioned power pumping to increase supply and the LC didn't know what that meant!

Just keep in mind that if they deem that supply is an issue, they will prescript you Domperidone that only the Doctor's on staff at Newman's can do (LCs can't), also the doctors there will assess LO head to toe and even look for latch issues like tongue tie or upper lip tie that they can resolve there (and typically LCs can't).  No pressure! Just want you to know all your little tid bits of info to help you out =)

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"