August 2013 Moms
Options

Another swaddle/sleep/nap question

Sorry, I know there's been a lot of these questions lately.

LO currently is sleeping in the newborn napper part of her pnp.  And she takes her naps in my arms, in her swing, or in her bouncy seat.  At night, we swaddle. We don't for her naps though, because she doesn't take specific naps.  She sleeps 10-15 minutes at a time throughout the day.  I think that if I were to put her in her crib, or the pnp when she falls asleep that maybe she would sleep longer than just 10-15 minutes, and she'd take actual naps. 

The problem is, I never planned on swaddling for naptime, because I want swaddling to be a bedtime thing only.  However, I'm worried that she won't sleep if she isn't swaddled.  The bassinet of the pnp and her crib are such big open spaces, that I'm worried she will have a hard time sleeping.  I'm also worried about putting her in the big, open, flat spaces swaddled, because I worry she's going to roll around.  She's always had a cozy "seat" to sleep in.

So, I guess I'm just looking for some advice.  I don't know how to transition her at night from her napper to the bassinet of the pnp, and I don't know how to transition her naps from her bouncy seat/swing, to her crib/pnp.  I'd like to start with naps before I try to transition her at night, just because I feel like I can keep a better eye on her. 

any advice? Sorry this is kind of all over the place. :)

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Another swaddle/sleep/nap question

• Options
    Is she rolling over yet? With arms swaddled, I would think it would pretty hard to do that. We just moved Lucas when he would transition and didn't think about it. Yeah we had a rough couple of nights but he adjusted.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    No shes not. Im just worried that shes gonna wiggle so much and somehow get turned over.

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My lo sleeps in a swaddle me in the pnp bassinet. Its a big space but I put him in on the left side parallel with the short sides. He wiggles a lot and has never rolled over fully. Sometimes he will rotate around in a circle but that's about it.
  • Options
    I just got a sassy dual sleep positioner. It helps me with my worry of LO rolling or wiggling some place unsafe and keeps him a little more cozy swaddled and Unswaddled. GL !
  • Options
    I was against nap swaddling, but now that she has days and nights straight, it just helps her sleep for a full sleep cycle for her, 35-40 minutes). She hasnt yet slept longer for a nap in her crib though has done as long as 8 at night. You can always try it and if you don't have a video monitor (we do so I can always see her) just check frequently or stay nearby.

• Options
    We just transitioned her and she did fine. I felt bad because the crib seemed like a big open space, but I think I cared more than she did.
    Swaddles were always a night time thing, but now we don't swaddle at all. It took some adjusting, but she does great. I still let her nap in her swing or on me sometimes, but at least I know she's capable of napping else where.

• Options
    I just tried for the last 45 minutes to get get to sleep in her crib. She's fall asleep, I'd put her down unswaddled, 5 minutes later she was up crying. I know she's tired, she hasn't napped yet today. Ugh.

Anniversary

• Options
    I suggest trying to put her down awake. When you put her down asleep and she stirs and discovers her situation has changed and your gone, she'll get upset. It may take her longer to get to sleep but let her get used to being in her crib awake and then let her fall asleep. Also help her learn to associate it with a place she can hang out and relax. Put her in there sometimes when she's content and go and do a quick job. Come back in and check on her regularly and let her know it's a safe place. Put things around the wall or somewhere safe on the crib so that she can 'talk' herself to sleep. Generally just make it a happy, safe place. If she cries, settle her without rocking her or getting her up unless she's really unhappy (just grizzling is ok, she'll grizzle in protest) And be patient. Don't leave the room until she has gone through that first 10 minutes or so of stirring and settling.

With the swaddle, we are transitioning LO out of it and started (only with naps) with 1 arm out for a week. Then both arms out for a week, then no swaddle for naps. We are now repeating the same process for nights. It can make them a little more wiggly when going to sleep but if they are learning to self settle they'll eventually just flap themselves to sleep ; )
    TTC Since March 2010 - 2 angel babies - BFP December 12 EDD 12 Aug 13 Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Id say just try everything and find out what she likes. Don't let your worries stop you. Swaddling will help her sleep longer during the day. Id bet money on it. LO is swaddled day and night and sleeps in her bassinet for naps and at night and she does great. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"