May 2014 Moms
Options

UO

I guess I'll be the brave one. Don't go too crazy, though; I don't want to be getting notifications still in a week. ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: UO

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm dreading the end of daylight savings time this weekend. I've always loved getting an extra hour of sleep, but now it's just going to mess up our routine. We NEED our routine!
    BFP#1 11-26-10 MMC 1-13-11
    BFP#2 6-8-11 Eleanor Beatrice born 2-15-12
    BFP#3 9-4-13 Benjamin Lee born 4-28-14

• Options
    Peanut M&M's belong in the bottom of the ocean.
    Blasphemy! :-p  I love peanut M&Ms.

My UO is that I don't really like Christmas.  It seems to be everyone's favorite holiday and I just don't like it as much.  And don't care for Christmas music.  I am much more of a Thanksgiving person!
  • Options
    We have no plans to ever move out of the city. I know that many people prefer raising kids in the suburbs, but it's just not for us. 

Baby boy arriving late Spring '14

• Options
    GIFs in siggys annoy me.

• Options
    As much as I appreciate people giving their condolences, losing your mother and best friend at 27 is absolutely nothing like when your gran, who you saw once a month died when you were 12, so please don't try and tell me you know how I feel.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Options
    I don't think student should be allowed to wear Halloween costumes to school. It's just a big mess!
  • Options
    awc1986 said:

As much as I appreciate people giving their condolences, losing your mother and best friend at 27 is absolutely nothing like when your gran, who you saw once a month died when you were 12, so please don't try and tell me you know how I feel.

I feel your pain. I lost my father unexpectedly at age 24 two weeks to the day after having my daughter. I had a "friend" tell me when her grandma died in her 80s that it was the same thing. I just lost my own 90 year old grandma 2 weeks ago and no, it isn't the same.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I feel your pain. I lost my father unexpectedly at age 24 two weeks to the day after having my daughter. I had a "friend" tell me when her grandma died in her 80s that it was the same thing. I just lost my own 90 year old grandma 2 weeks ago and no, it isn't the same.

I'm sorry you have the misfortune of understanding how I feel. Thanks for not flaming me on this too. I understand that people deal with grief differently, but sometimes it's just better not to elaborate when you're passing on your condolences. I also lost both my remaining grandparents 10 weeks apart, just before my mum died so I also have recent experience of how that feels. It's very sad, but losing someone in their 80s, who is ill is nothing like losing someone in their 40s who has their whole life ahead of them and has been a vital part of your life, day in day out since the day you were born.

I saw a friend the other day who I hadn't seen for a while. She offered her condolences then told me what a hard time she'd had because her dad had been ill. I was concerned so I asked if he was ok now. Turns out he'd had a varicose vein that had made his leg sore. I could have strangled her. I think people sometimes try and empathise too much and it just ends up looking insensitive. I know they mean well though.

In a strange twist of fate, i'm part of a group of friends who have all lost a parent young and very quickly to cancer, including DH, so I have a great support network of people who actually do know how it feels.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

• Options
    Magheeta said:
    I don't think EVERYONE needs a college education. Especially when they will rack up debt so unimaginable, they will spend a good portion of their life trying to pay it off. We need more trade-skilled workers because sooner or later, everyone will have a Bachelor's degree, and there will be few people with masonry, plumbing, and electrician skills. I wish people would stop harping on "you need that piece of paper to get through life." No, you need to find what your niche is, and work hard at it.
    Completely agree with this.  I know of many apprenticeship type programs or 1 or 2 year programs where people make very good livings.  By way of example, my paralegal husband's is an elevator repairman.  He makes a good living and has excellent benefits.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    Peaceb0ne said:
    Facebook is a terrible place to spew your political views. I can't tell you how many relatives I've blocked because they can't keep their b/s off my news feed. I love seeing updates about their kids, holiday and home decorations, etc., but the political shit pisses me off so badly that I end up having to block all updates from them. Bad form people!
    That cracks me up, because I'm the complete opposite. I have a few Facebook "friends" that post such ridiculous shit, I find it amusing. A recent thread about the situation in Syria marking the beginning of the Rapture was my fave. On the other hand, I hate effing seeing 5 different DIY holiday wreaths in my feed, weekly updates on the house someone is building (Foundation is poured! Look, counters!!!), and gratuitous kid pictures.

• Options
    ykristos said:
    We have no plans to ever move out of the city. I know that many people prefer raising kids in the suburbs, but it's just not for us. 
    We're actively trying to leave the suburbs and move as close to downtown as possible. Not that I don't love being surrounded by nothing but chain restaurants and churches.

• Options

Thanks, @kitchencolors. I read an article yesterday that sparked my fury about this all over again. My DH is a prime example for my UO. He only went to school because it's what he was told he should do. He wasn't committed, and ended up racking up twice the debt I did. He didn't finish, and has nothing to show for the time he was in school. Now he works in sales, which is his gift, and makes just as much - if not more - than I do. 
    I couldn't find the written article, and youtube doesn't work in my office, but I'm pretty sure this is the interview the article referenced.  AAAND I have no idea what happened to my formatting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_BDOIps9MM
    BFP 9/13/2020 with Baby #3 <3  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Magheeta said:
    I don't think EVERYONE needs a college education. Especially when they will rack up debt so unimaginable, they will spend a good portion of their life trying to pay it off. We need more trade-skilled workers because sooner or later, everyone will have a Bachelor's degree, and there will be few people with masonry, plumbing, and electrician skills. I wish people would stop harping on "you need that piece of paper to get through life." No, you need to find what your niche is, and work hard at it.
    Sweet, three comments in a row for me. While we do plan to set aside money in a "college fund", we'd be just as pleased if our child decided to become a plumber, apprentice for a while, and then use the fund as seed money to start their own company. I've definitely seen someone not be able to get a promotion because they couldn't check that little box, though. But I think it's better to find your niche like you said and then get the degree done as cheaply as possible if you know you'll run into that situation. No one cares where your degree is from when you have the experience.

• Options
    IBackBevo said:

I think that sometimes parenting requires making independent decisions beyond just what the strict "recommendations" are...it requires weighing the totality of all of your life circumstances and coming to an independent decision about what is best for your family.  By way of example, yeah breast feeding is best, but not when you have major supply issues, your kid has a milk protein allergy and can't latch and you send yourself into PPD over it. (This was pretty much me and it took me a long time to come to terms with maybe FF was what was best for myself and my son.)

This. I have major concerns about BFing because I had surgery on my chest, right next to my nipple when I was a week old to remove a clot of bad milk (I don't know how either). I'm just going to see what's right for me and baby when the time comes and i'm totally accepting of the fact that I may not be able to BF. I also have massive tatas and I genuinely worry about smothering the poor mite.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

• Options
    pandadair said:
    Peaceb0ne said:
    Facebook is a terrible place to spew your political views. I can't tell you how many relatives I've blocked because they can't keep their b/s off my news feed. I love seeing updates about their kids, holiday and home decorations, etc., but the political shit pisses me off so badly that I end up having to block all updates from them. Bad form people!
    That cracks me up, because I'm the complete opposite. I have a few Facebook "friends" that post such ridiculous shit, I find it amusing. A recent thread about the situation in Syria marking the beginning of the Rapture was my fave. On the other hand, I hate effing seeing 5 different DIY holiday wreaths in my feed, weekly updates on the house someone is building (Foundation is poured! Look, counters!!!), and gratuitous kid pictures.
    Haha! Good thing we aren't Facebook friends, then ;)! I'm generally a non-confrontational person, and when people post fake sourced political propaganda, I have a hard time keeping my feelings in check. Every political debate I've had on Facebook has ended in destroyed relationships, so I've found that it's best for me to steer clear of those as much as possible (at least when dealing with family). 

I love seeing cute kid pictures in my newsfeed! I wish my newsfeed was only cute kids, kittens, and puppy pictures.

BFP #1 7.16.13 | EDD 3.27.14  | MC 7.29.13
    BFP #2 8.28.13 | EDD 5.5.14 | Simon Francis, Due Date Baby!

• Options
    @Rocknroll64 I give people a free pass on that now because siggy updates are (were?) freaking impossible.  Or were last time I tried... the only way I heard you could do it last time I looked was to just hit save repeatedly until it finally worked.   Maybe it's been fixed?
    It's been fixed and it's way easier now.  Also there are very detailed instructions on how to update your siggy.  
    TTC Since July 2012
    BFP #1 11/07/12   M/C 12/11/12
    BFP #2 2/23/13    M/C 03/6/13
                       BFP #3 9/2/13  EDD 05/17/14                     
    Amy Elaine Born May 2!

• Options
    pandadair said:
    ykristos said:
    We're actively trying to leave the suburbs and move as close to downtown as possible. Not that I don't love being surrounded by nothing but chain restaurants and churches.
    Yeahhhh... Not only do I love that we're within walking distance of museums, tons of restaurants, science centers, many parks, friends' houses, and the fact that my SS and future kid will be exposed to a pretty diverse population of people with varying worldviews/life experiences... being in the city is also for my own sanity. I grew up in the suburbs, and I find them a bit isolating as an adult.

• Options
    awc1986 said:
    I agree with you. I mean, who wants to get into a whose grief is worse contest, but this has annoyed me as well. It obviously comes from a good place/people are trying to relate, but it feels... invalidating? It's tough. 

• Options
    I am prime example of why not everybody needs to go to college. I spent 4 years (3 colleges and 3 majors) and ended up with an associates degree. I couldn't find a job in my field and now I actually SAH with our DS and probably will until #2 is in kindergarten. I've considered opening my own business but it won't have anything to do with my degree.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    pandadair said:
    ykristos said:
    This made me smile. That sounds exactly like something one of my best friends would say.
    BFP 9/13/2020 with Baby #3 <3  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Magheeta said: I don't think EVERYONE needs a college education. Especially when they will rack up debt so unimaginable, they will spend a good portion of their life trying to pay it off. We need more trade-skilled workers because sooner or later, everyone will have a Bachelor's degree, and there will be few people with masonry, plumbing, and electrician skills. I wish people would stop harping on "you need that piece of paper to get through life." No, you need to find what your niche is, and work hard at it. Totally agree with you. Beyond the need for skilled workers, the frenzy that every individual needs a college education also discounts people's natural abilities and capability to self-teach.

My partner was really interested in computers as a kid-- even though home computers were still very new at the time-- and his parents encouraged it. He started teaching himself basic programming at 8 years old! He dropped out of high school at 16 and started working as software engineer full time. He has built a great career for himself in the past 16 years, but the kids who are entering his field now need a college degree to even be considered for an entry level job regardless of how skilled/talented/naturally inclined they are. He is completely self-taught and has had patents approved, yet he wouldn't be able to get a job in his field if he were starting today. It's as you say-- people need to find their niche and can work hard at it to be successful without a formalized education. 

• Options
    Peaceb0ne said:

In he same vein, I hate the bs political emails that get forwarded around and are usually so full of ignorance I want to tear my hair out. You know, the "EXPOSED! secret Muslim plot to destroy America headed by Barack Hussein Obama! Must pass on!" Or the one I got about how the media was only showing pictures of Trayvon Martin when he looked like an innocent kid, but here is the recent picture of him the media doesn't want you to see!....and then there was a picture of The Game, a famous rapper with known gang affiliations. I guess if it's on the intertubes it must be true.
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    ykristos said:
    pandadair said:
    ykristos said:
    Yeahhhh... Not only do I love that we're within walking distance of museums, tons of restaurants, science centers, many parks, friends' houses, and the fact that my SS and future kid will be exposed to a pretty diverse population of people with varying worldviews/life experiences... being in the city is also for my own sanity. I grew up in the suburbs, and I find them a bit isolating as an adult.
    This is us, too. We're stuck in the suburbs right now and I'm campaigning hard for a move back into the city as soon as we can swing it. My DH is a little more reluctant but I grew up in the city and loved it, and just feel really out of place in the suburbs. He is happier in the suburbs and I respect that. It's just a personal thing.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Peaceb0ne said:

I wish I could love this a million times! I was just telling my dh this yesterday. Like I don't understand most political things and I'm not ashamed to admit it, and when people I know don't understand it either post, I'm like "you have no idea what you're talking about". My dad posts about it alllll the time, and I beg him to stop. He won't, so I block the posts as well. It's just like any other Internet place, your political views on Facebook are not suddenly gonna make me understand and believe what you do lol. All that to say that I ❤ your UO ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"