Baby Names
Options

Rosalind

I just read my long girl name list out to DS (still don't know the sex, though). Just like his father, his shook his head emphatically at just about every girl name I threw out- except Rosalind. Thoughts? How would you pronounce it? 

Also, I don't like the nn Roz and can't stand Rose/Rosie. Dealbreaker? Any other nn ideas? We probably wouldn't use a nickname often, but I dislike Roz and Rose/Rosie so much I'd rather we had a short form we used occasionally so when she'd older and her peers shorten her name, it's not to something I can't stand. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
VOTE on my Name List

Re: Rosalind

• Options

I like it-- my only criticism is maybe it feels a little stuffy? 

I would say Roz-uh-lind.

Do you like Rosa as a NN?

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    If you really dislike those NNs, I wouldn't use it at all. Roz is the natural way to shorten it, and Rose and Rosie are also very common. Odds are that she or her peers will shorten it ti one of those names, not necessarily the one YOU prefer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I say it /ROSE-eh-lind/ knowing that it's just as likely the parents want the /ROZ/ pronunciation; I just think the /ROSE/ pronunciation is prettier. I've always thought this name seemed like an easy one to use in full. I wouldn't intuitively shorten it to Roz or Rosie like other names with NNs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Idani said:

I like it-- my only criticism is maybe it feels a little stuffy? 

I would say Roz-uh-lind.

Do you like Rosa as a NN?

ALl of this.  I do like it but another criticism I can see is this.  My friend used this name and a lot of people say Rose-a-lind. I'm not sure if where she lives people just aren't familiar with it to know it's Roz-uh-lind or what but that would bother me and I know she gets annoyed.

I was of the impression both pronunciations were correct.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I say Roz-uh-lind but I put the Rose bit in partly because I didn't want it suggested as a nn, haha. I like a lot of the longer Rose- names, like Rosalind, Rosemary, and Rosalie, but I can't stand Rose on its own. I guess this is why people don't let toddlers name babies. 

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I say it ROZ-a-lind, although I have always wondered if that was typical, and I think both are correct.  I LOVE the name - it's on my short list because it works with the MN I want to use if we ever have another girl, and As You Like It is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays.  The possible NN Rosie is a selling point for me (DD used to be really into Caillou...), but I figure parents set the tone for nicknames and don't worry much if a name I like has a NN I don't like.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    It's okay...it might be a stretch but could you use the nn Indie?
    Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Options
    I'm not a fan of this name.  I would pronounce it Roz-uh-lind.  Like PP said, it sounds harsh to me.
    BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, I like Romy!

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I know a girl named Linde (pronounced Lynn-dee), how about that as a nn?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"