September 2012 Moms

UO

Re: UO

• Pokedot said:
    I have another UO. I can't stand Barbara Walters and I have no idea why. She drives me batty!
    I hate the way she talks, always have, even though her speech impediment has improved over the years.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Hyaline said:
    Pokedot said:
    I have another UO. I can't stand Barbara Walters and I have no idea why. She drives me batty!
    She bugs me, too.  I also think she's starting to lose it and get old-lady-batty.  I also had a dream the other night where I punched her.  But it was in context that made sense, I swear.

Bhahaha angry much? Only kidding! I just can't take her. She was an inspiration to women in the workforce especially in broadcasting and news reporting but other than that good god woman retire. You're like 85 years old!

• IDGAF about football.  I don't even understand the rules, which frustrates because I think I'm a pretty smart person.  And then I realize that I just don't care. But I still have/wear an Eagles shirts most Sundays.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I don't understand people who are against hunting, but still eat meat.  maybe I'm just justifying or rationalizing my husband's hunting, but I'd rather him eat the deer/turkey he kills than for him to buy whatever meat from the grocery store that's been mass produced/grown/killed, etc.  

I'm a pescatarian, FTR.

• Buffets are awesome unless you go with a glutton. It ruins my appetite to see someone fill 4 plates full of shit. Golden Corral is gross because the whole restaurant is filled with people eating 20,000 calories.
    yeees totally this. We don't have a Golden Corral here (that I know of) but buffets kinda gross me out. I haven't been to a decent one, ever,  I think.

Liam Dean | 09.11.12 | 6lbs 13oz

• I don't understand people who are against hunting, but still eat meat.  maybe I'm just justifying or rationalizing my husband's hunting, but I'd rather him eat the deer/turkey he kills than for him to buy whatever meat from the grocery store that's been mass produced/grown/killed, etc.  

I'm a pescatarian, FTR.

My family is huge on hunting and they always have been. I went as a little kid, but I wouldn't be able to now. I couldn't kill an animal but I don't care if they do. I just can't myself. However, I have no problem eating one. I love the deer my dad brings home. It lasts for months and months and months and is delicious

I'm a pescatarian, FTR.

My family is huge on hunting and they always have been. I went as a little kid, but I wouldn't be able to now. I couldn't kill an animal but I don't care if they do. I just can't myself. However, I have no problem eating one. I love the deer my dad brings home. It lasts for months and months and months and is delicious
    Yep! We have a freezer full.  I don't eat it, but I love that DH and DS can eat it all year.  We also eat the fish/crabs we catch and grow a lot of our vegetables so during the summer we don't run to the grocery store much.   

I'm a pescatarian, FTR.
    Where I live it's a right of passage to hunt. DH does not but my brother and dad do. I've grown up with it so it doesn't bother me. The one thing I hate is when rifle deer season starts here, November 15th you see cars and trucks from everywhere with the deer strapped to it. Even some of the hotels have buck poles to hang their kills.

• Pokedot said:
    I don't understand people who are against hunting, but still eat meat.  maybe I'm just justifying or rationalizing my husband's hunting, but I'd rather him eat the deer/turkey he kills than for him to buy whatever meat from the grocery store that's been mass produced/grown/killed, etc.  

I'm a pescatarian, FTR.
    Where I live it's a right of passage to hunt. DH does not but my brother and dad do. I've grown up with it so it doesn't bother me. The one thing I hate is when rifle deer season starts here, November 15th you see cars and trucks from everywhere with the deer strapped to it. Even some of the hotels have buck poles to hang their kills.
    This would bother me too.  I very rarely see the deer my DH kills; I've asked him to be discrete and he respects that.  He's also a traditional bow hunter, so I admire the time, effort, and skill it requires for him and other hunters like him. 

And he has a "man room" for his trophies; we keep the door shut because I'm just not interested in seeing all the deer heads.  We have two big antlers in the living room as decor, but I'm really not on board for a deer head in the areas I spend time most often.

I'm a pescatarian, FTR.
    mmm venison.

the relationship between food and consumers in this country is so effed up.  Many people have no understanding or respect for where their food originates.  I have a lot of respect for hunters who use every piece of their kill.
    Agreed.  I buy my beef from a local farmer and would gladly hunt or encourage DH to hunt if we had the time.  I miss venison.  But don't use every piece.  Some of that crap is only good for getting thrown out.  And deerhides suck.  They shed like nobody's business.
  • UO:   I really like basketball.  The Pistons especially!  I like the Heat and the Thunder, too.  I also like to root for the underdog a lot of the time when I watch sports. 
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • I don't like buffets because I can never finish my plate but I'm not allowed to take it home. I live for leftovers and paying an arm and a leg for half a plate of food is stupid.
    Yes. There is a nice resort here that we have gone to for the Mother's Day buffet a couple of times. The food is so good, everything is nice and fancy, but I hate that I pay so much and can't take left overs with me.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

I'm a pescatarian, FTR.

Me too! 
  • I love candy corn.  I haven't had enough this year.  I NEED CANDY CORN NOW.  I will probably buy a ton on clearance tomorrow.

I will be listening to Christmas music nonstop starting tomorrow on my walks to and from work and at work.  WOOHOO!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• misspunky said:
    I am a Bears and Cubs fan.  I know they're not the best teams in the history of sports, but damnit I'm loyal.  What really pisses me off though is hearing Packers and Cardinals fans constantly bashing them.  I swear, they care more about their loss/win status than the fans do

Ditto all around!  Go Cubbies!  Go Bears!  Step off haters!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• UO:   I really like basketball.  The Pistons especially!  I like the Heat and the Thunder, too.  I also like to root for the underdog a lot of the time when I watch sports. 
    I actually really love NBA. The blazers are my team and I also like the bulls and the thunder but I haaate Lebron.

• GO HAWKS! GO SOUNDERS! I love all sports and hate watching with family because the women are expected to mingle in the kitchen. All of my UOs are lame. I hate all creamy foods, I don't like Dexter or Breaking Bad... I'll have to keep thinking of something juicy.
    shun. shun shun.

I actually really love NBA. The blazers are my team and I also like the bulls and the thunder but I haaate Lebron.
    Oh I can't stand him either. I swear he's at the foul line every 30 seconds.  He's such a great player but it's just annoying to watch him.  Noah is one of my favorite players (Chicago Bulls I think)
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • Buffets are awesome unless you go with a glutton. It ruins my appetite to see someone fill 4 plates full of shit. Golden Corral is gross because the whole restaurant is filled with people eating 20,000 calories.
    yeees totally this. We don't have a Golden Corral here (that I know of) but buffets kinda gross me out. I haven't been to a decent one, ever,  I think.
    Have you been to Vegas?

• Afunky6 said:
    My UO's: I hate diet coke, I hate peanut butter (all kinds), I don't care how old you are when you go trick-or-treating.

That's all I got for now.
    I hate all things diet, sugar-free, fat-free, etc.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • I love candy corn.  I haven't had enough this year.  I NEED CANDY CORN NOW.  I will probably buy a ton on clearance tomorrow.
    I have been waiting for clearance candy corn!  CVS puts those big bags out for $0.50... That is what i will be doing on my lunch. :)

• PokedotPokedot member
    edited October 2013
    Kemare20 said:
    Afunky6 said:
    Kemare20 said:
    I totally get people wanting to help because "they've been there". But often times, it's stepping over the line and comes across as "I am a better mom than you, let me help because obviously you don't have your shit together."

Really? I usually think the opposite.

They know the difficulty so they are stepping in to commiserate and try to alleviate some of your angst.

Sometimes, LL. Sometimes it is an 80 year old woman who should mind her own fawking business and let me deal with my own issue. I get both points, but let me be a mom to my kid before you try to intervene. KWIM?
    I haven't had anyone step in before and I would probably freak out if they did. I'm not a huge people person and I don't like talking to random strangers, and I only see that escalating if they're trying to grab my kid.
    This as well. There are some situations I can think of where I would be like "Mind your own business, please." and others where I would be praying for someone to come rescue me. lol

This was me at swim class our first time where I'm in the bathroom stall changing and as soon as my bathing suit top is off DS decides to go under the door and b-line for the other kids. I had to make a split second decision of going topless or praying someone would occupy him for like 30 seconds so I could get my shit together. Looking back funny, in the moment, not so much!

I'm all for helping out other mom's when needed but I think in most instances you can just tell when they've had enough and are internally pleading for some help. I'm not about to go up to a total stranger and take her child either. Most older women I think don't have a filter anyways. They can't seem to catch themselves.

• danabsd said:

MommaP12 said:

I love candy corn.  I haven't had enough this year.  I NEED CANDY CORN NOW.  I will probably buy a ton on clearance tomorrow.

I have been waiting for clearance candy corn!  CVS puts those big bags out for $0.50... That is what i will be doing on my lunch. :)
    Dang. Now I need candy corn!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• There is no worse smell in the world than someone getting a perm. I'm getting my highlights done next to a woman getting a perm, and I want to vom because it's like the worst fart in the world x1000 has engulfed me.

• Eastie156Eastie156 member
    edited October 2013
    My UO- I just saw a discussion about grocery carriages on another thread. I think leaving your baby in the car to "run to the carriage corral" to return your cart is really no different than "running into cvs real quick" while leaving your baby in the car. My feeling is, your baby's unattended and by itself in a car. Does it make a difference that it's two minutes or 5? ETA: I try to park near a corral, not only for easy return but it also protects one side of my car from the Massholes who smash their car doors into mine. But, I don't sweat it if I can't return it.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Eastie156 said:
    My UO- I just saw this discussion on another thread. I think leaving your baby in the car to "run to the carriage corral" to return your cart is really no different than "running into cvs real quick" while leaving your baby in the car. My feeling is, your baby's unattended and by itself in a car. Does it make a difference that it's two minutes or 5?
    I agree.

edited October 2013
    hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    My UO- I just saw this discussion on another thread. I think leaving your baby in the car to "run to the carriage corral" to return your cart is really no different than "running into cvs real quick" while leaving your baby in the car. My feeling is, your baby's unattended and by itself in a car. Does it make a difference that it's two minutes or 5? ETA: I try to park near a corral, not only for easy return but it also protects one side of my car from the Massholes who smash their car doors into mine. But, I don't sweat it if I can't return it.
    Who takes 2 minutes to return a cart? At my grocery store, you are never more than 5 or 6 spaces away from the cart return and really, I just park in the back so I am closest to the cart return. It rains a lot here, kid goes in the car first when it is raining.

It certainly takes more than 30 seconds to return a cart. My point is, the baby unattended in a car. I guess I don't see the point in leaving your baby unattended in a car, in a grocery store parking lot just to return a cart. Should you return a cart? Sure. Should you if it means your kids unattended? No.

• hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    My UO- I just saw this discussion on another thread. I think leaving your baby in the car to "run to the carriage corral" to return your cart is really no different than "running into cvs real quick" while leaving your baby in the car. My feeling is, your baby's unattended and by itself in a car. Does it make a difference that it's two minutes or 5? ETA: I try to park near a corral, not only for easy return but it also protects one side of my car from the Massholes who smash their car doors into mine. But, I don't sweat it if I can't return it.
    Who takes 2 minutes to return a cart? At my grocery store, you are never more than 5 or 6 spaces away from the cart return and really, I just park in the back so I am closest to the cart return. It rains a lot here, kid goes in the car first when it is raining.
    I usually put Lilly in the car. Leave Finn in the cart, return cart  (usually right next to my car) and put Finn in the car. Lilly is much more likely to get hurt if I don't do this because she will run away. I never park more than 5 or so spots away from a coral if I can help it.
  • Well, it's been a few months since we've had this debate...

I am firmly in the cart return camp. Don't want to leave your kid in the car? Take him with you.

Yep, guess I missed the last one. For me it comes down to living in the city. You don't leave your kid unattended for a second, cause really is it worth it? FTR, I didn't say I don't return shopping carts. I said, if it comes down to it, I'm choosing watching my kid over returning a cart.

• hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    These are my thoughts.  If it's taking you more than 20 seconds to return a cart, then I'm assuming you're doing it wrong...or you have a disability.

• hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:

It certainly takes more than 30 seconds to return a cart. My point is, the baby unattended in a car. I guess I don't see the point in leaving your baby unattended in a car, in a grocery store parking lot just to return a cart. Should you return a cart? Sure. Should you if it means your kids unattended? No.
    And I don't think my kid strapped into his car seat while I am 10-30 feet from my car an have the car in my sight the entire time is unattended. If you are next to or a space away from the cart return, it is less than 30 seconds from the time I close the back of my car until I am back.

If you are parked right next to the corral, sure, that makes sense. In our grocery store, there are exactly two corrals and they aren't always near where I'm parked, so E would be out of sight for more than 30 seconds. Maybe it's a difference of neighborhoods, I don't know?

edited October 2013
    hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    These are my thoughts.  If it's taking you more than 20 seconds to return a cart, then I'm assuming you're doing it wrong...or you have a disability.

Oh. Seriously?

• Eastie156 said:
    hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:

And I don't think my kid strapped into his car seat while I am 10-30 feet from my car an have the car in my sight the entire time is unattended. If you are next to or a space away from the cart return, it is less than 30 seconds from the time I close the back of my car until I am back.

If you are parked right next to the corral, sure, that makes sense. In our grocery store, there are exactly two corrals and they aren't always near where I'm parked, so E would be out of sight for more than 30 seconds. Maybe it's a difference of neighborhoods, I don't know?
    At the 3 grocery stores I frequent, I am never more than a space a way from a cart return. We have plenty of return options, like I said, every 5 or 6 spaces is a cart return so the closest would only be 2 cars away from you. It was the same when I lived in TX. Never had a problem parking near a cart return.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"