September 2013 Moms
Options

Anyone else not remember the delivery?

I had a c-section. My epidural didn't work, so when they started cutting me open I felt everything. It was awful. I ended up passing out halfway through the surgery from the pain. I thought they had given me general halfway through but when I woke up they said they didn't need to since I was already unconscious. 

Anyone else not remember the birth? How did it affect your bonding?
EDD 9/3/13

Re: Anyone else not remember the delivery?

• Options
    I have a hard time remembering it, but I was conscious the whole time. I had an epidural but it wore off right before I started pushing and I chose not to get a "refill". Everything after that was a blur but I do remember being in a lot of pain. I think my mind just sort of took me somewhere else. I remember holding my son for the first time. My mind goes completely blank after that and I don't remember the trip up to the recovery room or even the first few hours of that night. It's very strange to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I had a CS under general as well and saw her 4 hours after she was born. It hasn't affected our bonding at all although I still feel sad about "missing" the birth!

BFP #1 12/23/12 EDD 9/3/13 DD #1 8/26/13

BFP #2  2/25/16  EDD 11/5/16 MMC 4/15/16

BFP #3  8/31/16  EDD  5/12/17 It's a GIRL!

BabyFruit Ticker Visit The Nest

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My first was a c/s and I was in and out due to pain, fever, and exhaustion. I remember flashes of things here and there. He came out in distress and was rushed to the nicu team. I only got to see him for a few seconds in the OR and then didnt get to hold him for over an hour. He is now 2.5 and you will never meet a bigger mama's boy! That kid and I are in LOVE! Don't worry mama, bonding doesn't have to happen 100% in the first minute or day. You will bond to each other a thousand times over the next days, weeks, and years.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options

I had an emergency c/s after 20 hours of labor, I ended up getting an epi that wore off twice and my contractions were non stop since I had a bad reaction to Pitocin. The spinal block ended up working for the c/s but they had to give me more because it wasn't working right at first either (I think the original injection wasn't put in correctly). I didn't get to hold DD for a while but I honestly have no idea how long because I was on such a rush of being a mom! I was so happy that after all that she ended up being delivered perfect and safe. When I finally got to hold her, everything from the last 24 hours just kind of faded away. I mean, I know I was in a ton of freaking pain and there was a huge shock of being told I needed a c/s but it seems like a cake walk when I think about it.

I don't think it affected bonding at all, I love that little cupcake more and more every single day! I kind of think that if we remembered all the terrible things we went through in labor that we may not want to go through it again, lol.

• Options
    I labored for over 24 hours and then had an emergency csection. I can only recall bits and pieces. I was on very good drugs before surgery, received my epi too early, and then during and after surgery could barely keep my eyes open. I feel really bad for not remembering and feel like I missed out. DH is very good about feeling in blanks. It didn't affect bonding, we are attached at the hip.
  • Options
    I was in labor for 25 hours before my emergency csection and I had a weird reaction to the anesthesia. They say it happens now and again, but it sucked! I didn't feel anything but I could barely stay awake and I was shaking horribly. I don't remember my son's first cry and I had a really hard time focusing on him for the first hour or so. My DH had to hold him until we for to recovery because I was shaking so bad.

After that I remember the hour we spent in recovery and about an hour after that. Then, my BP dropped my HR went to 170 and I all but passed out. I don't remember any of the rest of that day until late at night. I was having massive internal bleeding but no one caught it right away so I don't hardly remember the next two days either.

I don't think it affected bonding at all though, I hated that I wasn't able to get up and take care of him for days but people brought him to me and it was all ok!
  • Options
    With DS1 the whole thing is very hazy because of the IV pain meds. They made me kind of loopy/drunk, so I don't remember it all very clearly.  I don't feel that it had any impact on our bonding, though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a med free home birth but out of 33 hours of labor, I think I only remember maybe 5-6 hours clearly.  I certainly don't really remember her being born.  I can picture the moments before and pushing and then I had to switch positions really quickly because her shoulder was stuck but her actually coming out?  Nope.  I had to ask later who caught her - apparently I did!  I do remember looking down at her for the first time though. 

I think whether you have the natural "drugs" that your body makes or synthetic versions, that stuff is pretty powerful and it's normal to forget certain things.
  • Options

I also had a c/s and remember most things, the little details not so much. I remember being wheeled into the OR and puking on the table and having horrible shakes and the doctor's telling me it was normal. I remember hearing DS cry and DH crying and them telling me he weighed 8lbs 12 oz, most of the things after that were a blur. I had been having contractions for 4 days and nauseous/puking for 2 and had been stuck at 7cm for 8 hours when they decided to do a c/s. So I had hardly slept and barely eaten in a couple days so I was exhausted. I was falling asleep between contractions before I got my epi, then was pretty much passed out by the time they were putting in the catheter.

I would say that yes, it affected my bonding slightly, but not so much because of the drugs (although I did puke much of the next day because of them). I was so completely exhausted and kind of loopy that once I knew he was out and healthy, I just wanted to sleep, I didn't even really want to interact with him. I feel horribly guilty for feeling that way, but I had been through so much. I barely remember trying to nurse him the first time and I couldn't get up to care for him because I didn't get enough feeling back in my legs to walk until the next day so DH had to change all of his diapers and bring him to me to nurse.

DS started making eye contact within the first couple days so that helped our bonding immensely and we are doing great now.

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image

• Options
    I was in labor for over 23 hours and ended up with an emergency C-Section.My doctors were phenomenal ; my overall experience at the hospital . I am appalled when u mentioned that u felt it when they cut u open . That is just crazy and scary at the same time. I definitely bonded with my son better than I did with my daughter I delivered vaginally.
  • Options
    I remember parts of it. I don't remember too much about labor, or when my doctor came in and said that I needed the c-section. It was a weird (not bad, though) experience.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"