Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Baby no longer wants to eat at 3 months? Need advice!!

My son just turned 3 months a few days ago. Right around that time he started to drink significantly less formula. He was consistently taking in about 5-5.5 ounces every 3-4 hours (except overnight he can go longer). Now it is a struggle to get him to take in 2-3 ounces every 4 hours. He will cry at the bottle. Never happened before.

We took him to the doctor yesterday. She thinks he has a stomach bug, which I disagree with. He is happy all the time except for meal times. He is not vomiting or pooping different. He just seems to have no interest in eating and when we try, he cries.

I tried medium flow nipples and was too fast for him. I don't know what to do. Right now, he is peeing enough so I am not worried about dehydration yet. It scares me how little he is eating compared to what he used to drink.

Anyone else go through this?

Re: Baby no longer wants to eat at 3 months? Need advice!!

• Thanks Nicb13. Pedi said to give it a week (for the stomach virus to go away) and then call back if no improvement. I just don't feel like her diagnosis is correct. Everything else I would like to try (such as changing formulas) she said not to do.

If he stops eating all together, I will definitely be calling back. I just didn't know if anyone else went through a similar situation and could shed some light...

• My son was doing something similar at 4 months, but I am breastfeeding. It was so bad we'd both end up in tears and I'd make him a bottle of pumped milk which he would gladly take. Apparently bottles are easier than breast. I have no idea why he was doing this, some nurses tried to tell me it was a supply issue but I don't think it was. Some other nurses suggested it was teething, or a plugged nose or something else going on in his mouth. Luckily it passed after a few days. Agreed also with the above poster, a quiet dark place is also better for feeding, my son gets SO distracted!! 

Hope it passes for you too, quickly. I know how frustrating it can be. 

iHeartVan
  • Loading the player...
  • ah DD went through this around 3 months. Went from 4 oz every 2 hours to 3- 4 oz every 3-4, and STTN. She was eating sometimes as little as 16-18 oz a day, though I managed to trick her (i'd feed her when she was super sleepy before naps and bed.) into 20-22 oz most days. She DID pop teeth around 4-4.5 months, but I think it was a form of just being distracted and not being into food.  She put weight on like normal and had wet diapers-just wasn't a big eater.  

She went to 4 bottles a day around 4.5-5 months of 6-8 oz and I still needed to feed her in quiet, dark rooms well until 6 months.  If not, she'd take half the bottle and stop.
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
    iHeartVan
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"