Parenting
Options

"What's your Excuse" Poster- Discuss.

AF came today, so I'm wanting to just rip this thing up.  I like the message of the picture, but it's the caption that really eats at me.  Probably because after just 1, I know I will never look that way.  I am very fit (I'm a health and P.E. teacher so it's in my job to be very active), but I have so much floppy skin left no one would ever know.  My stomach looks like it belongs on an 80 year old. It's embarrassing really...so for her to assume that any mom can look like that is really naive on her part.  And I confess that if it wasn't for my job, I would have great difficulty staying fit.  There's not much time left in the day after work, dinner, bath, cleaning, and lesson plans/grading...and I even have DH to help me out.  I saw an interview with her.  She used to be a fitness model, so it's clearly in the genes (although I'm sure there's some hard work on her part as well).

Anniversary

Re: "What's your Excuse" Poster- Discuss.

• Options
    thetheisensthetheisens member
    edited October 2013
    [IMG]https://i42.tinypic.com/2vn1la8.png[/IMG]
    Damnit, it's too hard from my kindle. Grumpy cat. You get the idea.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Fuck you, Matt Walsh. Here is the blog post.
  • Options
    SandyClam said:
    I fucking hate Matt Walsh. Such an ignorant douche.
    DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
  • Options
    That Matt Walsh article was written in a really condescending tone.

I do think the word choice on the poster is poor because it implies that women have some sort of problem or aren't good enough if they don't look like that. Kind of like the "Are You Mom Enough?" Time magazine article, I feel like this poster implies that if I don't look like that or don't weigh 125 lbs, I'm not good enough. No, I didn't BF my child until he was 3, and I don't weigh 125 lbs. If you do and that works for your family, good for you. That's just not high on my priority list, and as long as I'm healthy enough to be a good role model and live a long and active life with my family, I'm happy.
  • Options
    Yeah not a fan of the "What's Your Excuse" tag line. I don't think it's a motivator - like pp said, it implies that everyone who doesn't look like her is lazy, sitting on the couch eating Bon bons.

If that's really how much she works out (which I don't necessarily believe) then I work out way more than that. And my excuse is that I fuckin want to eat nachos once in a while, so no I don't look like that.
  • Options
    Isn't she a personal trainer who made this as an ad? It does not make me want to hire her at all. It makes me think she'll be judgy of struggles to find time or do exercises rather than helpful.

I don't want to look like her.

image image
  • Options

It doesn't really bug me personally. Some women are in better shape and healthier than me, some aren't. I looked at her fitness page. She looked fine in both her 150lb photo and 125lb photo IMO.  

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
  • Options
    Nechie122 said:

SandyClam said:

I just skimmed the post (because he makes me ragey) but the irony is he posted photos of people ACTUALLY doing something inspirational without acknowledging that having a flat stomach after three kids really isn't that awe-inspiring. If I ran a marathon at 70 or participated in a wrestling match with no arms, hell, yeah, I'd be badass. But we're still living in a very sexist world if a woman's most brag-worthy accomplishment can be merely looking good.
    He is an idiot. I had never heard of him until last week he wrote that stay at home mom garbage and it got all over my Facebook. He is a sexist ass.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @kc_13 might want to send her a pic, too.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Options
    kiraliz2 said:
    Moidonna said:
    I can't believe it took her 8 months to look like that. For someone who's supposed to be a fitness model that's really sad. (LOL) Also, I weigh less than her, but look flabbier. So there's that.
    Yeah, muscle weighs more than fat. Not that you are fat.
    Yeah, I am now the size clothing I was almost 10 years ago but weigh good 10-15 lbs more since I am actually fit now.  

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Options
    thetheisensthetheisens member
    edited October 2013
    I fucking hate working out in the gym. Hate. I would rather find activities outside to do to keep active. I won't ever look like that, but I can still be healthy without hitting the gym several time a week.
    ETA- Oh, and I don't stick my ass in a tanning bed so I won't get skin cancer. I win.

• Options
    I personally didn't get offended but I can see the other side to a degree. However, I find it ironic that everyone seems to judge her for her comment while making passive aggressive comments like she must ignore her kids to go work out a million hours a week. I see a lot of hypocrisy anytime this article is posted.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I looked at it......and still didn't want to work out or read her blog. Or diet. Guess she failed at her job because it didn't work.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Moidonna said:
    KC_13 said:
    I personally didn't get offended but I can see the other side to a degree. However, I find it ironic that everyone seems to judge her for her comment while making passive aggressive comments like she must ignore her kids to go work out a million hours a week. I see a lot of hypocrisy anytime this article is posted.
    I think people were just saying that she claims to have time to take care of her kids with no nanny and is still able to workout, but it's actually her husband who takes care of them the majority of the time. Not everyone is in the same situation.

I don't know--I think in most circumstances people can commit to an hour of working out five days a week (and should). Of course there are exceptions to the rule. And of course everyone has a different body type and will not be that petite regardless of how they eat/how much they exercise. I do think that moms should aim to be a healthy weight for their own body and toned and you can only use the baby excuse for so long. Toned has a broad range of body types. I've known women who were a size 12 and had abs and a size zero that were flabby. I also don't see a difference between a working mom who has paid childcare and a working mom who has a sahd.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Nechie122 said:
    Well, I think that's the other part of it -- the vitriol of the comments (on both sides). Not to quote the hated Matt Walsh, but if one of his armless, legless people had posted a picture of themselves climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro with the same caption, I doubt it would have incited the same firestorm. Whenever the issue of body image comes up, women get defensive because being a certain kind of sexy IS something we're supposed to aspire to. I mean, my DH doesn't have a stomach that ripped and he never birthed a baby. If you asked him what his excuse was, he'd look at you like you had three heads and say, "I work all day as a doctor, cook my family a homemade dinner every night and, oh yeah, beer is awesome." And we'd all be like, okay then. Carry on.

I think it goes both ways. People get pissed they feel judged but then judge back except its more socially acceptable to judge thin. And then when you reach that certain status of being thin people go ahead and judge you...but to your face. Then you hear the "you should eat a cheeseburger" comments. Even on this board I've heard people say women whose hipbones protruded were gross and no one batted an eyelash. Meanwhile if someone said fat was gross the troops would be lining up to flame their ass.
  • Options
    You haven't been around here in a while then, @kc_13, because we went over that recently.
    True dat. The new format makes it tough to post on multiple boards. Ha.
  • Options
    Look at it this way @KC_13- If I posted a pic of me squatting over 400 lbs and put the caption on it "What's your excuse", you wouldn't take exception to that? I've put years into lifting and that isn't something that came overnight. It's not something that everyone can do, and something that even fewer have a desire to do. That's my thing and what I enjoy and put my focus on. 

Maria Kang is a fucking fitness model and competitor and has been since long before she had kids. She made that figure long before having children. She's an asshole for making people think that came after pregnancy. 

I wouldn't take exception to it, no. I'd think the exact same thing I thought when I saw Maria kong's photo, which is good for her. I also don't think she necessarily works out a million hours a week. I have a friend who has abs after two kids and teaches ballroom dance 2 nights a week and runs for thirty minutes 3 days a week. I know she doesn't have a gym membership and she doesn't have gym equipment in her basement. Not everyone that has abs after kids spends a million hours a week in a gym lifting weights.
  • Options
    KC_13 said:
    I don't know--I think in most circumstances people can commit to an hour of working out five days a week (and should). Of course there are exceptions to the rule. And of course everyone has a different body type and will not be that petite regardless of how they eat/how much they exercise. I do think that moms should aim to be a healthy weight for their own body and toned and you can only use the baby excuse for so long. Toned has a broad range of body types. I've known women who were a size 12 and had abs and a size zero that were flabby. I also don't see a difference between a working mom who has paid childcare and a working mom who has a sahd.
    Trying to find paid childcare outside of "normal" working hours isn't that easy.  Having a SAHP gives a bit more freedom to work out outside of a 9-5 job.

I also had no idea she was a fitness model or did anything fitness related for her job either.  Now I really think she's full of crap.

I think she looks great and good for her, if that's what she wants.  But don't post something publicly saying "What's your excuse" when you live a life and work a job that enables having that body.  I'm not going to bash her for being thin/in shape.  I'm going to bash her for the pain olympics she tried to pull with her non-apology.

Working parents also (usually) have lunch breaks during the day. Theres gym that provide childcare before/after working hours. if your dh works reasonable hours you can go in the evening or early in the morning. Heck, I lost thirty pounds by eating better and walking nine flights of stairs at my lunch break at work and taking the stairs vs the elevator when I needed to speak with a coworker. I think it's little things and really the appearance of your midsection has a lot more to do with diet vs exercise anyway.
  • Options
    KC_13 said:
    KC_13 said:
    Trying to find paid childcare outside of "normal" working hours isn't that easy.  Having a SAHP gives a bit more freedom to work out outside of a 9-5 job.

I also had no idea she was a fitness model or did anything fitness related for her job either.  Now I really think she's full of crap.

I think she looks great and good for her, if that's what she wants.  But don't post something publicly saying "What's your excuse" when you live a life and work a job that enables having that body.  I'm not going to bash her for being thin/in shape.  I'm going to bash her for the pain olympics she tried to pull with her non-apology.

Working parents also (usually) have lunch breaks during the day. Theres gym that provide childcare before/after working hours. if your dh works reasonable hours you can go in the evening or early in the morning. Heck, I lost thirty pounds by eating better and walking nine flights of stairs at my lunch break at work and taking the stairs vs the elevator when I needed to speak with a coworker. I think it's little things and really the appearance of your midsection has a lot more to do with diet vs exercise anyway.
    I get a half hour lunch and even if I had an hour, I sweat too much to not require a thorough showering which takes time. 

Only gym with childcare here is the Y and they are stupid expensive. 

DH leaves for work before any gym is open. He works all day and doesn't always want to be solo parenting and be in charge of dinner every night. That's not fair. 

There are no stairs at my work. There is a path close by, but see reason #1 why that isn't feasible.

Eating right can be expensive. It also requires time to prepare all those things. 

How did you have 30 lbs to lose? I thought you were always the picture of perfect. Did you lie to us before?

I do little things. They do nothing. But you, since it works for you it must work for everyone, clearly that's my excuse. Thanks Maria.

I've mentioned quite often on the bump I used to be overweight. Like many people I put on 40lbs after college graduation due to a more sedentary lifestyle combined with meds that slowed my metabolism. I lost 30 of it before I got pregnant, had my kids, then lost 45 over the course of 18 months. I wasn't someone who magically snaps their fingers and dropped the weight--don't know where you get that illusion. I also am not trying to be unsympathetic because I've lost a good amount of weight twice and know its tricky. I do think parents should be striving to eat healthy and fit working out into their lives--not because I think everyone should look exactly like that chick but because its the right thing to do and a good example for kids.
  • Options
    What if you're a teacher and your lunch break is 22 minutes long? You teach AP classes that require a ton of grading and your DCP closes at 4:30? Also in terms of a budget see re: teacher.

So you get a p90x video and do it in the comfort of your own home. I know there are certain circumstances where people just can't go to the gym but there are other avenues of getting adequate exercise that don't involve the gym.
  • Options
    Moidonna said:
    KC_13 said:
    Look at it this way @KC_13- If I posted a pic of me squatting over 400 lbs and put the caption on it "What's your excuse", you wouldn't take exception to that? I've put years into lifting and that isn't something that came overnight. It's not something that everyone can do, and something that even fewer have a desire to do. That's my thing and what I enjoy and put my focus on. 

Maria Kang is a fucking fitness model and competitor and has been since long before she had kids. She made that figure long before having children. She's an asshole for making people think that came after pregnancy. 

I wouldn't take exception to it, no. I'd think the exact same thing I thought when I saw Maria kong's photo, which is good for her. I also don't think she necessarily works out a million hours a week. I have a friend who has abs after two kids and teaches ballroom dance 2 nights a week and runs for thirty minutes 3 days a week. I know she doesn't have a gym membership and she doesn't have gym equipment in her basement. Not everyone that has abs after kids spends a million hours a week in a gym lifting weights.
    Then it's genes, not something brag worthy.

Meh, considering her parents are both pretty heavy I'm going with no. I think people throw around the genes thing far too much.
  • Options
    Moidonna said:
    @KC_13 I'm referring to your comments about other people, but I'm also not convinced that genes don't play a role with Maria. Some people will never look like that no matter what they do. That's a fact.

I don't except the world to look like her at eight months Pp (and I read she has stretch marks and loose skin so I think the fake tan helps to give more of an illusion of definition but I digress) but I feel like there's this huge myth floating around that the only moms who work out a million hours a week are a healthy weight and have muscle tone.
  • Options
    KC_13 said:

What if you're a teacher and your lunch break is 22 minutes long? You teach AP classes that require a ton of grading and your DCP closes at 4:30? Also in terms of a budget see re: teacher.

So you get a p90x video and do it in the comfort of your own home. I know there are certain circumstances where people just can't go to the gym but there are other avenues of getting adequate exercise that don't involve the gym.

Hahah. I did p90x. First of all, even when I did p90x I didn't look like that woman. Secondly, it's a huge time commitment in setting up and it's 6 days a week. It would take me at least an hr and a half a day to do p90x. It was hard to squeeze in when I was childless and had a 10 minute commute. I don't know how I would even begin to try to do that again now that I have DS and a 1.5 hr commute.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"