LGBT Parenting
Options

My ovaries are being little punks. UGH!

So I went in for my wanding this morning.  Good news is I have 3 good dominant follies (14, 15, and 17 mm) and my ute lining is nice and fluffy (13 mm).  The bad news is, with the additional baking time my next u/s will be on Saturday morning.  The day of my beloved beer festival.  Which means I will NOT be able to attend.  I may not be able to go to the Dells at all this weekend unless my doctor lets me take my trigger on Saturday night.  I don't care as much about missing the festival (though I admit, I am a bit bummed) but I really, really want to spend time with my friends and go to the spa on Sunday.

My friend was training to be an RN (but dropped out).  I know she can give shots - I asked her and she'd be willing.  I just gotta hope the doctor will let me.  I don't want to go if it's going to hurt my chances of conceiving but at the same time I'm really frustrated that the timing fell on THIS weekend.  Why???

I know, I know... first world problems... I am grateful my body responded well to the Clomid.  I was a little worried about what 150 mg would do to me on the first go-round since it's such a high dose but it was actually just right for me.  Doctor was right.  I'll listen to what she recommends regardless but I sure hope I can go on at least part of my trip :(

Why couldn't you have waited a little longer, follies??? 

Re: My ovaries are being little punks. UGH!

• Options
    That is frustrating. Although congrats on the great follicle growth.
    I don't know how your clinic does things but our clinic has us trigger when we get a follicle that's about 20mm, which your lead one should be on Saturday. So unless you're surging on your own, I assume they will have you trigger Saturday night for a Monday morning IUI. (That is, of course, assuming that they do a 36 hr post trigger IUI at that clinic). The trigger shot is very easy to administer so anyone should be able to do that for you. Good luck!
    ****loss discussed*****

We're queer. I'm 33, have severe stage 4 endo, and had both fallopian tubes removed. My love ("Manada" on the boards, 32) was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. We did Partner IVF (my eggs, her uterus). We lost our twins Tavin and Casey at 21 weeks gestation.

Our IUIs
    with @Manada: IUI# 1-7 (December 2012- September 2013) all BFN. Tried natural, femara, clomid, puregon/follistim, clomid and menopur combo, both the ovidrel and HCG triggers.

Our IVFs:
    IVF #1 my eggs November/December 2013: Cancelled IVF due to poor response

IVF #2 my eggs/Manada's uterus January/February 2014
    BCPs and lupron overlap Stimmed: 1/22-2/2: Bravelle and Menopur (dosage ranged from B300 and M150 to B375 and M150 to B300 and M225)
    2/4 retrieved 10 eggs. Endo was much worse than expected. Only 3 eggs fertilized; February 7 transferred two day 3 embryos, froze one. All great condition.
    BFP eve of 6dp3dt; Beta 1 (11dp3dt): 110; Beta 2 (13dp3dt): 175; Beta 3 (15dp3dt): 348; Beta 4 (19dp3dt): 2222; Beta 5 (21dp3dt): 4255
    1st ultrasound (3/6  6w 1d): TWINS!!!! Twin A measuring 6w1d with a heartbeat of 118bpm. Twin B measuring 6w0d with a heartbeat of 113bpm. 

***July 18, 2014 we lost our beautiful babies at 21 weeks gestation. They were born too early. Tavin Sara T. and Casey Elizabeth T. are beautiful and precious and we will love them and miss them forever.***

FET #1 December 2014
    Intralipid infusion on Dec 10. Transfer of 1 day 3 nine-cell embryo into my uterus on Dec. 19. (acupuncture immediately before and after)
    BFP on Dec. 27; Beta 1 Jan 2 (14dp3dt): 665, Beta 2 Jan 4 (16dp3dt): 1859, Beta 3 Jan 6 (18dp3dt): 4449, Beta 4 Jan 10 (22dp3dt): 12,251.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    oh no!  I know you were looking forward to the Dells trip so much!  I'm crossing my fingers that it all works out and you can still go and trigger.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks, @healz413!  That's actually very reassuring :) The nurse told me this morning that the doctor will want to look at my follies again on Saturday and if they're ready do the trigger shot right then and do the IUI the next day.  Personally, I would much rather they let me trigger later so I could do the IUI first thing Monday.  It is a 36 hour shot, so I think they were thinking Sunday afternoon.  Monday morning would work much better for me.

The shot they want to give me is intramuscular, in the butt.  My last trigger was in the belly.  I would've been fine doing the belly shot but I think I need help with getting it right in my back side.  Luckily my friend really likes administering shots (she's weird lol) and she said she'd be happy to do it for me.  She wants to be able to tell people she's part of the reason I got knocked up.  She's a nut, which is why I love her!

• Options

@newmompeanut - thanks!  I was supposed to leave on Friday so I'll miss that part of the fun but I am still holding out hope that I can drive myself up on Saturday.  I was more looking forwad to the spa part of our trip than the beer festival so as long as I can be there for Saturday afternoon and Sunday all day then I will be happy.

If not... it's worth it to have a chance at a baby :) Sundara isn't going anywhere, and I can always do the festival next year.

• Options
    Any idea why they are doing an IM shot instead of a sub-q shot for your trigger? I've only had sub-q triggers. My progesterone shots for IVF/FET cycles are IM butt-shots, though, and we do them at home. It is definitely tricky to self-administer them, but you could do it if you had to (I know several women on the IF board who do their own if they have to be away from their husbands/partners) and your partner or a friend (especially a friend who has been trained as a nurse) could definitely do it. My wife has done all of mine for two cycles and I assure you she is not a trained professional! :) Sounds like the other issue is whether you can trigger Saturday night for Monday IUI vs Saturday morning for Sunday IUI -- but if that gets worked out, doing the shot should hopefully not stand in your way. Good luck -- I hope it works out that you get to enjoy your weekend AND get the IUI in!

And FWIW, if you do get to go, you should still enjoy some beer. :) I had to trigger on my birthday once and had plans to go out for a nice dinner that evening with my wife, so I called the nurse at the clinic to make sure alcohol was not contraindicated with the trigger shot. She said don't get wasted but enjoy your birthday, and I did. As long as it's pre-IUI it should be fine.

Are they expecting all 3 of your follies to mature?
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So, I have had both kinds of triggers... for my IUIs it was a sub-q belly-shot (Ovidrel) but before my egg retrieval I had an IM butt-shot trigger with Novarel. From my understanding, the Novarel is a higher concentration of drug (about twice as much HCG as Ovidrel). I don't know why my RE did the Novarel for my retrieval, but Ovidrel for my IUIs. I chalked it up to just being part of the IVF protocol. At any rate, my wife gave me my IM Novarel shot (she has given me all of my shots). It was easier than Progesterone (thinner needle), but trickier than the sub-q injections. I would recommend rubbing/massaging the injection site for a minute or two after injection. It seemed to minimize the sting for me.

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options

I have no idea why I'm getting an IM shot to be honest... the nurse just told me that they keep the IM shots in stock at the office and that's generally how they trigger ovulation.  If I wanted Ovidrel I'd have to place a special order for it.  I know my clinic specializes in IVF so I guess they just use the same medicine for both treatments?  Does that even sound right though?  I mean, I'm fine with it because I know they have high success rates so whatever it takes to make it work... She didn't tell me what the medicine was or how much HCG they contain.  I know Ovidrel is relatively mild (the last shot I had was 2,500, compared to the 10,000 Pregnyl shot). 

I imagine the higher HCG dose releases more eggs (thus more beneficial for IVF since they do egg retrieval) but I don't know if I'd want all 3 of my dominant follicles released... makes me nervous.  Even if the chances of triplets is low regardless, it's still pretty scary.  Then again I don't know if all three will mature.  Still waiting on the phone call from the doctor.  Of course I'll probably get the call at 3:59 pm

8-|

Anyhoo... @ball.and.chain, I'll definitely be enjoying some beer!  I won't be able to make the festival just because of how long it takes to get from Indy to the Dells.  It's a good 6-7 hour drive and if I finish my appointment at 9:30 am (optimistically) I won't get there until 3 pm their time.  If I drive hard and fast I could get there in time (fest goes from 2-5 pm).  I guess I could get in a couple hours ;) But regardless, beers will be had and enjoyed, even if I have to order them a la carte from a restaurant.

• Options
    UPDATE: I heard from my doctor - I can leave for Wisconsin after my second ultrasound!  They're giving me the trigger shot to take with me and my friend will give me the shot later that night.  Then Monday morning, it's show time!  I get to go to the spa!  Yay! :) Wish me luck, please!!
  • Options
    Great news!
    ****loss discussed*****

We're queer. I'm 33, have severe stage 4 endo, and had both fallopian tubes removed. My love ("Manada" on the boards, 32) was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. We did Partner IVF (my eggs, her uterus). We lost our twins Tavin and Casey at 21 weeks gestation.

Our IUIs
    with @Manada: IUI# 1-7 (December 2012- September 2013) all BFN. Tried natural, femara, clomid, puregon/follistim, clomid and menopur combo, both the ovidrel and HCG triggers.

Our IVFs:
    IVF #1 my eggs November/December 2013: Cancelled IVF due to poor response

IVF #2 my eggs/Manada's uterus January/February 2014
    BCPs and lupron overlap Stimmed: 1/22-2/2: Bravelle and Menopur (dosage ranged from B300 and M150 to B375 and M150 to B300 and M225)
    2/4 retrieved 10 eggs. Endo was much worse than expected. Only 3 eggs fertilized; February 7 transferred two day 3 embryos, froze one. All great condition.
    BFP eve of 6dp3dt; Beta 1 (11dp3dt): 110; Beta 2 (13dp3dt): 175; Beta 3 (15dp3dt): 348; Beta 4 (19dp3dt): 2222; Beta 5 (21dp3dt): 4255
    1st ultrasound (3/6  6w 1d): TWINS!!!! Twin A measuring 6w1d with a heartbeat of 118bpm. Twin B measuring 6w0d with a heartbeat of 113bpm. 

***July 18, 2014 we lost our beautiful babies at 21 weeks gestation. They were born too early. Tavin Sara T. and Casey Elizabeth T. are beautiful and precious and we will love them and miss them forever.***

FET #1 December 2014
    Intralipid infusion on Dec 10. Transfer of 1 day 3 nine-cell embryo into my uterus on Dec. 19. (acupuncture immediately before and after)
    BFP on Dec. 27; Beta 1 Jan 2 (14dp3dt): 665, Beta 2 Jan 4 (16dp3dt): 1859, Beta 3 Jan 6 (18dp3dt): 4449, Beta 4 Jan 10 (22dp3dt): 12,251.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Awesome! Enjoy your time... I love going to the spa :)

Lesbian couple from SW Ontario, Canada | Me: 29 + 1 DF: 44 | Together 3.5 yrs, getting married in 2015 | TTC since Jun 2013

My Dx: PCOS, blocked fallopian tube(s), mild endometriosis & uterine septum (both removed during surgery Oct 11/13)

Jun 24/13: referral to Fertility Clinic ordered by gyne

Aug 15/13: initial consult with FS at Victoria Hospital Fertility Clinic, BW & HSG ordered 

Aug 20/13: HSG shows one tube completely blocked, other tube slow to fill

Sep 18/13: FU w/FS re: HSG & BW. BW normal, laser laparoscopy & hysteroscopy ordered

Oct 11/13: Hysteroscopy, laser laparoscopy, & HSG determined I actually have a uterine septum and mild endometriosis, and that my tubes were never blocked! Septum and endo removed with laser during surgery. Post-op in 6 wks.

Nov 26/13: Post-op - fully healed with no complications; confirmed tubes are clear and septum and endo removed. Referred to Donor Insemination program.

• Options
    Best of luck!  And enjoy your weekend. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Awesome! Enjoy your trip this weekend and good luck on Monday! :)

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"